Breaking Adidas confirms it will NOT renew its NBA contract

arcane

Wonder if the new company will continue the golden championship tab on the back, and if the NBA logo will return to the front.

I like the quote from the adidas rep that the company hasn't gotten the return on investment from the NBA contract that they expected, as if it was the league's fault.

Here's an idea, adidas: Look in the mirror. Stop putting out garbage products at retail that nobody wants. The sleeved jerseys have been roundly criticized from the get-go, and the swingman-level replicas have had a major drop in quality this year.

This is spot on. When you design and force a crappy product that isn't popular to fans (hideous sleeves, Christmas jerseys, and just lame/uninspired off-court gear), the ROI isn't going to spike up.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NBA logo won't return to the front. That's for a corporate sponsor.

I am surprised by how much "good riddance" I have seen. I don't like seeing the three stripes on warmup gear, but otherwise, I'll take what we have. No manufacturer logo and not too many "out there" primaries. Yeah, more alts and gimmicks than I'd like but as already pointed out, that's unlikely to change. Whenever two NBA teams are wearing primaries, the game is pretty aesthetically pleasing.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Wonder if the new company will continue the golden championship tab on the back, and if the NBA logo will return to the front.

I like the quote from the adidas rep that the company hasn't gotten the return on investment from the NBA contract that they expected, as if it was the league's fault.

Here's an idea, adidas: Look in the mirror. Stop putting out garbage products at retail that nobody wants. The sleeved jerseys have been roundly criticized from the get-go, and the swingman-level replicas have had a major drop in quality this year.

This is spot on. When you design and force a crappy product that isn't popular to fans (hideous sleeves, Christmas jerseys, and just lame/uninspired off-court gear), the ROI isn't going to spike up.

I agree their offerings have been pretty poor and it really seems like they have been grasping at any sort of innovation to kickstart stagnant merch sales. Combine that with their corporate hubris you get a complete mess.

The overall failure of adidas in the nba was acquiring rbk in the 1st place. So many levels of fail on that acquisition. Rbk likely overpaid and adi tried to make the deal pencil out but they had no clue how to do so. You see this happen all the time with big corporate mergers parent brand sees acquired brand as a cannibalization threat then drastically cut back the marketing and r&d budget thus letting the acquired brand die on the vine. Nike/converse seems to be a rare exception.

I'm sure there will be a great deal of finger pointing going on. League and fans for your reasons above not to mention ridiculous price points. Adi will side with their market research that blames stagnant nba interest, demographics (damn cheap millennials), and a sluggish consumer economy.

I've yet to come across one of these exclusive 5+ year marketing deals that's worked out well for both parties. The sponsor ends usually up overbidding, quality declines and prices rise uncontrolled.

This is amazing news!

I'm on the fence with regards to the 2 way race. Nike is awesome, but their college stuff is terrible IMO. Do they still do that stupid looking tight jersey, really long baggy shorts combo? That looks so hideous. But i am sure the NBA has a rule on short length, just wish it was above the knee rule. I see a lot of potential with Under Armour and they do make some very comfortable apparel. I wouldn't be upset if they got it.

Question. IF Nike gets it, could they choose some teams to be Jordan brand? Bulls, Hornets, Wizards for example? That'd be very cool IMO.

The NBA logo won't return to the front. That's for a corporate sponsor.

I am surprised by how much "good riddance" I have seen. I don't like seeing the three stripes on warmup gear, but otherwise, I'll take what we have. No manufacturer logo and not too many "out there" primaries. Yeah, more alts and gimmicks than I'd like but as already pointed out, that's unlikely to change. Whenever two NBA teams are wearing primaries, the game is pretty aesthetically pleasing.

Because sleeves.

Depending on how much they are currently paying, he may be right. I rarely see people wearing any nba gear in Houston and its not like the team is bad here. I'm far more likely to see a person wearing a Texans or Astros item than a Rockets item. I'm sure that may be different in places such as LA or Miami when LeBron was there, but I'd be curious to see where the NBA falls in terms of merch sale when compared to the other leagues.

This is amazing news!

I'm on the fence with regards to the 2 way race. Nike is awesome, but their college stuff is terrible IMO. Do they still do that stupid looking tight jersey, really long baggy shorts combo? That looks so hideous. But i am sure the NBA has a rule on short length, just wish it was above the knee rule. I see a lot of potential with Under Armour and they do make some very comfortable apparel. I wouldn't be upset if they got it.

Question. IF Nike gets it, could they choose some teams to be Jordan brand? Bulls, Hornets, Wizards for example? That'd be very cool IMO.

I would love to see all of the teams be the Jordan brand, however I doubt that is going to happen. Maybe with a select few as you suggested.

I don't read this as Adidas blaming the league for their poor performance. I just think Adidas figured they could gain ground on Nike by affiliating itself with directly with the NBA and it just didn't happen. Product is a big part of that, but not just jerseys. A brand like Adidas or Nike won't do this deal purely on the chance to sell apparel — that's a small-margin business, especially when compared with footwear sales. The hope here for Adidas was that it would inextricably link its brand to the NBA, thus giving its footwear product some more viability with consumers.

Chris Grancio told the Portland Business Journal that it just never turned out that way:

"We haven't been able to elevate our brand for the basketball consumer that we're targeting," Grancio said. "We ultimately decided that we would change our investment strategy and invest more in players on the court."

So now Adidas is going to invest even more in basketball, but instead put the majority of it into product development and player endorsements.

"We want to sharpen the edge and be more disruptive," Grancio said. "If I were to describe our products in brief, historically we've been too safe. We want to be much more aggressive in design."

The Portland Business Journal thus far has the only interview with Grancio.

It's kind of funny that Adidas wasn't getting ROI with the league, so they're targeting player contracts. Funny because their marquee player is Derrick Rose, who barely exists anymore and hasn't given a single person a reason to buy his shoe in three years. And by funny, I mean sad and infuriating, because I'm a Bulls fan.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It's kind of funny that Adidas wasn't getting ROI with the league, so they're targeting player contracts. Funny because their marquee player is Derrick Rose, who barely exists anymore and hasn't given a single person a reason to buy his shoe in three years. And by funny, I mean sad and infuriating, because I'm a Bulls fan.

I think you'll see them playing up Damian Lillard heavily. The same with Andrew Wiggins if he continues to progress.

Depending on how much they are currently paying, he may be right. I rarely see people wearing any nba gear in Houston and its not like the team is bad here. I'm far more likely to see a person wearing a Texans or Astros item than a Rockets item. I'm sure that may be different in places such as LA or Miami when LeBron was there, but I'd be curious to see where the NBA falls in terms of merch sale when compared to the other leagues.

That has more to do with the Rockets brand IMO or with the stupid long sleeve cut of the primary home and away uniforms that hang over your shoulders. It looks so stupid on regular people and not massive NBA players with bulging shoulders.

I see plenty of Rockets hats and t-shirts in Houston, but i still see more retro stuff because the cities heart is too attached with anything that reminds us of Clutch City and Hakeem(rightfully so). I rarely come across people who like our Uniforms and logos. Adidas can't be blamed for the Rockets owner going with an award winning costume designer for movies. Hopefully Nike can pitch something to the Rockets. BTW didn't NIKE do the Lakers uniforms back when Reebok had the NBA contract?

I know that they're not 100% the problem, but I haven't been impressed with the majority of Adidas' output. So I'm glad they're on the way out. As for who I want, I'm pulling for Under Armor. Nike's talented, but too ambitious for their own good. I can't see the NBA keeping as tight a lid on Nike as the NFL has managed to do so far.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Archived