Breaking Adidas confirms it will NOT renew its NBA contract

arcane

So the Sixers are getting new uniforms for next season - the last under adidas's reign.

No idea if they're using Adidas designers or not, but it could be one of those things where they have to make a tweak or two in year two to accommodate a Nike (or whoever) template.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL at the amount of people thinking/hoping Nike gonna come in and "save" the NBA and all that. Have y'all not been paying attention to the NFL??? Particularly the Pro Bowl?? You really wanna see an NBA All-Star game decked out in blaze orange and volt trimmed in chrome and anthracite??

Listen...the amount of automatic vitriol spewed toward Adidas around here is beyond ridiculous. (Even more so when 50% of it comes from the exact same people and you all know who you are.) I really think people hating just to hate now. Yes, adidas has their problems. So does Nike. (And UA for that matter.) And as far as "templating" goes...Nike started that mess. You really think they wouldn't try to push that more with the NBA? You see the Elite 51 or whatever it's called made its way from CFB to the NFL...don't think for one second all the _____Elite SoD stuff from CBB wouldn't make it up to the NBA, hydrographics and all. And as far as warm-ups go, um...did you happen to catch what the two Super Bowl teams were wearing during media week the past two seasons?

140127_masepostcard_inside.jpg

206579-0-600.jpg

960x540.jpg

Someone go ahead and try to defend that. What makes you think Nike wouldn't try to push something like that for NBA warm-ups? (In anthracite, no less?)

Look, I'm neither a fanboy nor apologist for any manufacturer--they've all pur our both great stuff and trash alike--but I'm saying is way too many people are way too quick to spew venom towards adidas--much of the time simply just because it's adidas, from what I infer--then turn around and extolling all the greatness of Nike. Nike ain't the greatest thing in the world. Adidas ain't the worst thing in the world. Everything ain't always gotta be to one extreme or the other. I just wish some people would see it that way.

/rant

Adidas hit a home run with the asg uniforms this year. And everyone was surprised. Last years were an abomination. They usually have three stripes running everywhere.

If you want to make a case against Nike, post their best and worst college basketball looks and then post the same with Adidas. I think that would be the best way to compare.

Adidas did these

Rp1b4p4.jpg

to my knowledge Nike has never done anything that obnoxiously bad. The thing Nike does is they push teams into colors they don't normally wear like outfitting all those schools in grey uniforms and giving us the System of Dress.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think it's funny that Adidas will still be around to roll out new uniforms for the Hawks. The Hawks, IIRC, are incorporating volt into their color scheme. That color has pretty much been associated with Nike. Foreshadowing maybe?

Adidas hit a home run with the asg uniforms this year. And everyone was surprised. Last years were an abomination. They usually have three stripes running everywhere.

If you want to make a case against Nike, post their best and worst college basketball looks and then post the same with Adidas. I think that would be the best way to compare.

I don't think they were a HOME RUN... but they were the best they had ever come up with. They were very good uniforms... but there were still glaring mistakes/errors.

I think it's funny that Adidas will still be around to roll out new uniforms for the Hawks. The Hawks, IIRC, are incorporating volt into their color scheme. That color has pretty much been associated with Nike. Foreshadowing maybe?

Can you give a source on the Hawks using volt? I hadn't read that, and frankly it sounds awful. Green was only used by the Hawks for a short forgettable period, and it was brought back as part of a hideous novelty "so ugly it's cool" throwback a decade or so ago. Literally nobody is calling for the Hawks to go back to that crap. Considering their new logo and the way fans have embraced it, I think it's pretty apparent they're going back to red and yellow.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Can you give a source on the Hawks using volt? I hadn't read that, and frankly it sounds awful. Green was only used by the Hawks for a short forgettable period, and it was brought back as part of a hideous novelty "so ugly it's cool" throwback a decade or so ago. Literally nobody is calling for the Hawks to go back to that crap. Considering their new logo and the way fans have embraced it, I think it's pretty apparent they're going back to red and yellow.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/97307-milwaukee-bucks-originals-update-bucks-unveil-jersey-changes-for-2014-15/page-23#entry2360792

Just a rumor at this point, but the user who brought it up, Teal, had correct info on several uniforms that came out this season—off the top of my head I remember that he said the Orlando pride uni would be grey.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/97307-milwaukee-bucks-originals-update-bucks-unveil-jersey-changes-for-2014-15/page-23#entry2360792

Just a rumor at this point, but the user who brought it up, Teal, had correct info on several uniforms that came out this season—off the top of my head I remember that he said the Orlando pride uni would be grey.

Thanks. I hope it's a bad rumor. Not only would that be a terrible decision for the Hawks at *any* point, but it would be particularly dumb in light of them bringing back a Pacman logo and the fans embracing it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Firstly I'm hoping Nike has the dough to pony up even with the NFL contract.

I have fond memories of Nike's 1st go around back in the late 90s.

In fact their patented design is still carried on to this day (Lakers, Pistons, Raptors, Heat, Mavs).

They also provided jerseys for Bulls, Spurs, Celtics, and Blazers.

If you look at all nine teams Nike did either a great modern makeup or left well enough alone with the classic teams.

Lastly I believe off court apparel will blossom with that swoosh. Polos, hats, jackets will all be designed cleanly. I imagine Brand 47 will get in the fray ala the NFL deal.

All in all a wonderful development that no more three stripes ubiquity will exist in two years.

/rant

home run ? I think more of a line drive to the pitchers head.... huge numbers on front insted of a logo, full name on back :facepalm:

In fact their patented design is still carried on to this day (Lakers, Pistons, Raptors, Heat, Mavs).

They're still around, but they all still suck. Having the wishbone collar piping which inexplicably turns into wide elastic on the back side is stupid. Having piping around the arm holes is stupid. The Lakers and Pistons looked worlds better in the unis this were meant to "update", and the other teams could greatly improve their looks by at very least dropping the Nike template.

Honestly, we'd see this same kind of stuff if Nike took over the NBA again. Their first foray into the NBA gave some teams these stupid collars, but they mostly kept teams the same. And then look at the NFL contract - stupid collars and a silly template with arbitrary seams. They set out to completely alter the league, and they did with the exception of a few holdouts. So if Nike came back to the NBA, they'd probably push thing farther than they even did with the NFL. They'd design a new uniform "system", like the Rev30 only with more seams and panels, and unique collars that "improved performance." They would absolutely change uniforms league-wide just to leave their mark. And sure, they'd allow teams to keep their old look and stupidly shun all the "uniform progress," but which teams would do it? The Celtics maybe? Bulls? It doesn't really seem like any teams value their look that much in the NBA since they've all whored themselves with so many silly alternates and worn their road uniforms at home. Nike will absolutely change all jerseys if they get the deal. And that, by the way, isn't to say that UnderArmour wouldn't do the same.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Pretty safe to say that the next supplier (and adi for that matter) will want to purge all rev30 templates from the league. Teams will likely be forced into the new supplier's templates & fabric or forced to downgrade back into a traditional non-proprietary uniform.

Thanks. I hope it's a bad rumor. Not only would that be a terrible decision for the Hawks at *any* point, but it would be particularly dumb in light of them bringing back a Pacman logo and the fans embracing it.

I hope they incorporate volt. I think they can sell it as an update of their 70s colors - which also had the first rendition of the pacman logo. Personally, I am a fan of ANY team having a color pallet that doesn't consist of R/W/B.

Just a rumor at this point, but the user who brought it up, Teal, had correct info on several uniforms that came out this seasonoff the top of my head I remember that he said the Orlando pride uni would be grey.

I hope they incorporate volt. I think they can sell it as an update of their 70s colors - which also had the first rendition of the pacman logo. Personally, I am a fan of ANY team having a color pallet that doesn't consist of R/W/B.

I agree that's why i loved the 76ers old black red blue gold unis. Uniqueness
shado_logo.gif

Just a rumor at this point, but the user who brought it up, Teal, had correct info on several uniforms that came out this seasonoff the top of my head I remember that he said the Orlando pride uni would be grey.

But not for a Sixers franchise who had over 30 years of R/W/B at the time of the change.

I would like to see with the new suppliers that they have different warmup templates as opposed to the same template for every team like adidas had...I liked the days when teams had different unique warmup like the bulls, lakers, celtics, pistons, spurs and magic and others. that is one of my hopes either nike or UA but I prefer nike

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

But not for a Sixers franchise who had over 30 years of R/W/B at the time of the change.

I agree. I liked the Iverson-era look much better than the current set and loathe the amount of RWB teams in pro sports. However, it's hard to justify a team named after the independence of America to be any other colors than... uh... American. :flagusa:

I don't recall who, but someone suggested the use of volt for OKC. An anthracite and volt combo to represent stormy clouds and lightning would actually make some sort of sense. (At least more sense than a team named "Thunder" having colors to represent the sunset.)

Bennett said the light blue color coincides with the state flag to represent the inclusion of all Oklahomans, the yellow refers to the sun and the reddish-orange color to the sunset. With the University of Oklahoma featuring crimson as its primary color, and Oklahoma State using orange, Bennett said it was "not too red and not too orange."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3568051

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I agree. I liked the Iverson-era look much better than the current set and loathe the amount of RWB teams in pro sports. However, it's hard to justify a team named after the independence of America to be any other colors than... uh... American. :flagusa:

I agree. It's hard to imagine the 76ers in non-R/W/B. But the Iverson-Era uniforms were a great color combination. The black, red, tan, and custom blue was awesome. They seemed to fit so well together.

Who here thinks Brand Jordan will take a crack at it? Jumpman logo on every jersey wouldn't be as awful, IMO, if they're going to brand every on-court jersey. Nike should at least consider letting MJ bid on it.

Archived