Rite of Spring '15: exhume our idols! bury our friends!

The_Admiral

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man it feels like the Blackhawks have more playoff OT games than the rest of the league.

Not only that, but they spend 75% of each overtime in the defensive zone. The Stanley Cup playoffs are both the best thing and the worst thing ever. Two months left of this. Hopefully.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Blackhawks go to overtime a lot in the regular season, too. I think the only teams to have gone past regulation more in the last five or six years are the Panthers and Coyotes. They've never been a team that's particularly interested in swiftly dispatching its opponents.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, but of course, those overtimes only last five minutes and are mainly teams killing time before the shootout. But these (multiple) playoff overtimes, of which the Hawks spend 15 minutes skating backwards, will be the death of me. At least they finished before midnight this time.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Overtimes!

2014:

St. Louis: Game 1 (3OT), Game 2, Game 4, Game 5

Minnesota: Game 6

Los Angeles: Game 5 (2OT), Game 7

2013:

Minnesota: 1, 3

Detroit: 7

Los Angeles: 5

Boston: 1 (3OT), 2, 4

2012:

Phoenix, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

2011:

Vancouver: 6, 7

2010:

Nashville: 5

Vancouver: none

San Jose: 3

Philadelphia: 3, 6

Had to go back to the Canucks in 2010 to find a series where every game was decided in regulation.

If I were a Predators fan, I'd be embarrassed by the attempted Hawks Fan Freeze Out.

The totally-one-sided vitriol reminds me of my college days in Champaign. Michigan was a hated rival. Stupid "Ann Arbor is a Whore" t-shirts could be seen all around campus. But I had friends that went to Michigan. They couldn't have cared less about Illinois. That whole "We hate you / Thats funny, we don't care about you at all" dynamic really puts you in your place sometimes.

If I were a Predators fan, I'd be embarrassed by the attempted Hawks Fan Freeze Out.

The totally-one-sided vitriol reminds me of my college days in Champaign. Michigan was a hated rival. Stupid "Ann Arbor is a Whore" t-shirts could be seen all around campus. But I had friends that went to Michigan. They couldn't have cared less about Illinois. That whole "We hate you / Thats funny, we don't care about you at all" dynamic really puts you in your place sometimes.

Hey, gotta be excited about something. I don't give much of a rat's ass about Illini football, but what do you want them to do? Just lay down and golf clap while Michigan takes a steamy dump on their chests? The steamy dump was always going to happen one way or another, may as well pretend it's a rivalry just to make the suffering less of a grim-faced jailhouse rape.

All this crap with Nashville wasn't a big deal until they made it a big deal. They put it out there like the Blackhawks fans who filled their coffers a few times a year are some sort of plague, as if it's Chicago's fault somehow that people in the greater Nashville area are more interested in scratching their balls within the Grand Ol' Opry or having a chicken-fried honky-tonk wank by some Music City tourist trap than watching a bunch of foreigners hit vulcanized rubber around an ice pond. Then again, using the CS85 Dump-Chest theory, the Perds know that their team is basically a cup of playoff coffee in a crappy market and may as well shake the trees and make a scene instead of dismally clapping to the sound of their own demise, like so many elderly, obese lumps smacking their hamhocks together to the rhythm of the 3rd curtain call of "The Gambler" at a smokey Kenny Rogers concert.

I'm not sure if my post should have more feces/genitals or not, but it's all I have.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Hey, gotta be excited about something. I don't give much of a rat's ass about Illini football, but what do you want them to do? Just lay down and golf clap while Michigan takes a steamy dump on their chests? The steamy dump was always going to happen one way or another, may as well pretend it's a rivalry just to make the suffering less of a grim-faced jailhouse rape.

All this crap with Nashville wasn't a big deal until they made it a big deal. They put it out there like the Blackhawks fans who filled their coffers a few times a year are some sort of plague, as if it's Chicago's fault somehow that people in the greater Nashville area are more interested in scratching their balls within the Grand Ol' Opry or having a chicken-fried honky-tonk wank by some Music City tourist trap than watching a bunch of foreigners hit vulcanized rubber around an ice pond. Then again, using the CS85 Dump-Chest theory, the Perds know that their team is basically a cup of playoff coffee in a crappy market and may as well shake the trees and make a scene instead of dismally clapping to the sound of their own demise, like so many elderly, obese lumps smacking their hamhocks together to the rhythm of the 3rd curtain call of "The Gambler" at a smokey Kenny Rogers concert.

I'm not sure if my post should have more feces/genitals or not, but it's all I have.

No, no, not at all. Not the point. I'm just saying it can be deflating when you don't even register on the radar of your "most hated rivals."

Man, some of you guys are towing the line with these stereotypes. For what it's worth, I've heard Nashville isn't a bad city from one of my girlfriend's best friends who moved out that way, but I'd have a dose of skepticism until I saw it for myself, y'know cause of Murica and all that jazz.

Anyways, I don't know how to read any of these games. Nashville had a prime chance to win, but you could tell they lost all confidence once Chicago tied it. The Isles looked like they could take it in 5 and Calgary appears to have that ability to withstand the punches and upset the Nucks. So far, my brackets are looking good. LGRW.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Man, some of you guys are towing the line with these stereotypes. For what it's worth, I've heard Nashville isn't a bad city from one of my girlfriend's best friends who moved out that way, but I'd have a dose of skepticism until I saw it for myself, y'know cause of Murica and all that jazz.

Their team president said they were going to intimidate road fans out of cheering because of "God, America, and apple pie." The stereotypes aren't on me this time.

Their team president said they were going to intimidate road fans out of cheering because of "God, America, and apple pie." The stereotypes aren't on me this time.

That's not even the best kind of pie either!

But out of curiosity, did the president look like this when he said those comments?

7f20_017.jpg

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Anyways, I don't know how to read any of these games. Nashville had a prime chance to win, but you could tell they lost all confidence once Chicago tied it. The Isles looked like they could take it in 5 and Calgary appears to have that ability to withstand the punches and upset the Nucks. So far, my brackets are looking good. LGRW.

Actually, I saw the confidence go out of them after Chicago scored that first shorthanded goal. Wasn't long before they added another shorthanded goal. That equalizer was the dagger...after that I think everyone knew how the game would end up. What'll be interesting is seeing how they come out in Game 2...whether Laviolette will do what he did in the last third of the regular season and try to shuffle things all around (which is pretty much what sent the Preds on that little skid they had going there for a bit). That happens in Game 2 and I'm willing to bet the Preds will carry a goose egg with them up to Chicago for Game 3.

Now as for all these stereotypes (those not put out by the team president--who might do well just to keep quiet a little more often): most of the "honky-tonkness" many on the outside perceive of folk around here is actually mostly perpetuated by tourists--most folk who are from here or have been living here a while rarely venture anywhere near Broadway, so you can tell real quick who the out-of-towners are. (That daggone TV show don't help none, neither--some of y'all know the one.) Far as the Opryland stuff...never been up in there nor do I have a reason to so I can't speak to that at all. Just know that the majority of folk around here don't go gallivanting around town rocking cowboy hats and boots, belting Garth Brooks/Reba McIntyre/Toby Keith and all that at the top of their lungs. At least I don't, anyway. :P

But yeah, back to the hockey...this actually ain't that crappy of a market, surprisingly. I will say that they do have some pretty steep ticket prices though--at least for broke working-class schmoes like myself. And in my opinion they'd have been smart to open up more for Blackhawks fans--I'm pretty sure they've been the biggest draws all season long so tickets would've been bought up. I watched this same kind of vitriol come from the Penguins towards Detroit and Philadelphia during their cup run back in '08(?) when I was still living there...just reeks of some kind of persecution complex. Really isn't necessary, either.

Then again, this is all just the opinion/observations of a schmoe and not a hardcore hockeyhead, so what does it really matter, anyway? :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Nashville is a very nice, fun town. Quite progressive/liberal (especially considering its place in the Bible Belt), too, with all sorts of scenes and various things going on. There's a lot more to it than the Grand Ol' Opry and cowboy hats and "hyuck hyuck" tobacco dippers and other dumb cliches along those lines.

Honestly it doesn't bother me so much when people who don't live in the area stereotype it, so much as it is when people who LIVE HERE/REPRESENT THE AREA end up thumping and confirming the stereotype, Team President Sean Henry included. Why would you want to paint such a cliche, one-dimensional, annoying picture of your own city? This can go far beyond sports, and I can talk a lot about it, but that's a separate discussion and doesn't need to jack this thread.

Truth be told I'm not a huge hockey fanatic, so I only casually follow the league and consequently the Preds. I'm certainly not a hardcore, passionate fan, so I don't really have a place to boast about them or anything. It does feel nice to have a local team being not only relevant city and league-wide, but competitive and playing in a postseason, though. Last night's game was an ugly collapse, bar none. Good job on the Hawks' part for making the comeback and I hope Nashville can bounce back and keep it a good series.

ICXC NIKA

Then the Canadiens can't complain when an Ottawa player retaliates. Which from reports I've seen will happen.

Subban should be sitting Game 2 IMO.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

We always hear that the West is the more "physical" conference, but it's the East where everyone's always throwing bitchfits and injuring one another.

Archived