2015 NHL Golf Thread

BigBubba

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Babcock is apparently making a decision within the week according to nhl.com

According to Bob McKenzie, he's narrowed it down to Detroit, Buffalo, and Toronto. Though I'd love to see him join the Leafs, the smart decision would be to stay put.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

As far as Babcock goes of course I want him in Toronto. But I really just cannot grasp what would posses him to even consider the Sabres? With McDavid different story, but like really? Detroit will ways trump Buffalo.

untitled-6.jpg

As far as Babcock goes of course I want him in Toronto. But I really just cannot grasp what would posses him to even consider the Sabres? With McDavid different story, but like really? Detroit will ways trump Buffalo.

There's going to be a giant check in Buffalo, and with less wackiness than in Toronto. Plus, they're ready to start improving in a big way right now. Toronto is probably not done being bad, and he may think Detroit's window is closing.

There's going to be a giant check in Buffalo, and with less wackiness than in Toronto. Plus, they're ready to start improving in a big way right now. Toronto is probably not done being bad, and he may think Detroit's window is closing.

The check will be equal or greater in Toronto or Detroit. His legacy won't mean much more of anything by winning in Buffalo.

untitled-6.jpg

The rumor I've heard is that Detroit's max offer is around $4.5M; Buffalo and Toronto will both probably offer considerably more. He would be a hockey god for bringing the Cup back to Toronto, but then you have to deal with the circus. I think he'll always be in Scotty Bowman's shadow somewhat in Detroit without the three Cups. Buffalo is the kind of place where a good Canadian boy can buy his family a McMansion in the suburbs for $600K, get to work in 20 minutes, and send his kids to good schools. Babcock has often said he needs to get his wife on board with the decision; I don't think she gives a crap about his "legacy". It's a good hockey market with a lot of talent coming down the pike. Honestly, I'd say Buffalo has at least as good of a chance at winning a Cup in the next 5ish years as Detroit does.

Granted this was written by a local beat writer, but it confirms that he's only met with Buffalo and Toronto, though he's likely received an offer from Phila.

speaking to those close to Babcock and other interested parties, many think he has narrowed his choice down to the Flyers or the Red Wings.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150517_Mike_Babcock__Flyers__top_choice_for_coach__vows_job_search_nearly_over.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He would be a hockey god for bringing the Cup back to Toronto, but then you have to deal with the circus.

Canada: forever searching for the side door to eternity

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Reportedly, only the Sabres and the Leafs have filed paperwork to speak with Babcock before his contract expires.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-sabres-in-pursuit-of-mike-babcock/

I thought Detroit let everyone talk to him before it expired? According to the article I posted, the price is a 3rd round pick to Detroit as compensation for signing him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Reportedly, only the Sabres and the Leafs have filed paperwork to speak with Babcock before his contract expires.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-sabres-in-pursuit-of-mike-babcock/

I thought Detroit let everyone talk to him before it expired? According to the article I posted, the price is a 3rd round pick to Detroit as compensation for signing him.

I think it's paperwork filed with the league for the new compensation rules. I'm not sure if it means no other teams met with him, or if media is blowing it out of proportion. I'm sure they'd never do that, though. It could be you have to file the paperwork before you meet with an executive who is under contract to another team, or it could be a formality that can be filled out in five minutes if a deal is imminent after already talking.

Dave Hakstol to become the next head coach of the Flyers. He spent the past 10 years coaching North Dakota, getting to the frozen four in 6 of those seasons.

Hextall said that he wanted a someone who could coach young talent. I guess there is no one more qualified at that than a college coach.

The check will be equal or greater in Toronto or Detroit. His legacy won't mean much more of anything by winning in Buffalo.

are you kidding? Buffalo famously hasn't won anything since the Bills in the early 60's. If he brings a championship to that city they'll love him forever.

PvO6ZWJ.png

are you kidding? Buffalo famously hasn't won anything since the Bills in the early 60's. If he brings a championship to that city they'll love him forever.

He could also one-up Scotty Bowman. Buffalo is the only place Bowman coached that he never won a Cup.

Archived