NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

There was rampant speculation that new Montreal Alouettes owner Pierre Karl Peladeau (who's a controversial figure in Canada) was going to play a role in bringing the NHL back to Quebec City when he bought the Alouettes.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Calling this right now:

- Gary Bettman will say that while the NHL is disappointed in the results of the vote, they are still committed to the Coyotes staying in Arizona.  

Not this time. They pushed all the chips they had left into the middle on this vote. 

Even the media members who have always been bullish on Arizona seem to have lost all optimism tonight. 

16 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

There was rampant speculation that new Montreal Alouettes owner Pierre Karl Peladeau (who's a controversial figure in Canada) was going to play a role in bringing the NHL back to Quebec City when he bought the Alouettes.  

P-K Peledeau's bringing back the Nordiques? Holy hell what year is it?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Tonight the Yotes are going to rock up at the now Desert Diamond Arena trying their best not to fall over, asking

"Well tell me do you think it'd be alright,
if i could just crash here tonight?
You can see I'm in no shape for driving,
and anyway I got no place to go"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WestCoastBias said:

Rip to the Coyotes.

I doubt they relocate to Quebec City though, it's gonna be Houston. 

I don't think Houston is necessarily a shoe-in either. I think it depends on what Meruelo does now. If he sells the team -- is it just to the highest bidder? I feel like Bettman will have his hands over it all so who knows?

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

7 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Arizona to Quebec. 

Quebec to the Atlantic.

Detroit to the Central. 

Gonna happen? Probably not. But I can always dream right? 

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

ESPN (so take it with a large grain of salt) is throwing around Salt Lake City as a potential option for relocation, only going as far to say "Jazz owner Ryan Smith has met with Bettman within the past year."

Now that's an interesting location. Anyone know if hockey has any type of following in the Beehive State?

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

7 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

Arizona to Quebec. 

Quebec to the Atlantic.

Detroit to the Central. 

Gonna happen? Probably not. But I can always dream right? 

Detroit spent YEARS waiting to get back into an eastern time zone division. They aren't going back to the central without a significant fight.

Edited by MiK
typo
  • Like 1

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Just now, MiK said:

ESPN (so take it with a large grain of salt) is throwing around Salt Lake City as a potential option for relocation, only going as far to say "Jazz owner Ryan Smith has met with Bettman within the past year."

Now that's an interesting location. Anyone know if hockey has any type of following in the Beehive State?

I know they had the Golden Eagles in the IHL and the Grizzlies currently (in the burbs I believe). Not sure how successful either of them were/are. I remember thinking back during the 02 Olympics that SLC would be a cool place for an NHL team. 

sig.png

7 minutes ago, MiK said:

5 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I know they had the Golden Eagles in the IHL and the Grizzlies currently (in the burbs I believe). Not sure how successful either of them were/are. I remember thinking back during the 02 Olympics that SLC would be a cool place for an NHL team. 

Hockey has a pretty decent following in Utah, pretty much centered in the SLC metro area. 

The Grizzlies won two IHL championships and compete fairly well in the ECHL. They also have a handful of junior teams in the area. 

I don't think it's enough support and following to support an NHL franchise however. I don't know how suited Vivint Arena is for hockey either. 

6 minutes ago, MiK said:

Detroit spent YEARS waiting to get back into an eastern time zone division. They aren't going back to the central without a significant fight.

I figured as such. Still, I don't get the same thrills watching them play Buffalo or Toronto or Ottawa opposed to Chicago, Colorado or Dallas even. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

14 minutes ago, MiK said:

As for SLC, is the Vivint Arena made for a proper hockey setup?  All pics I have seen of the venues ice setup is like this.  

FebFHDLUcAE6ioX.jpg:large

9 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

I've always thought Milwaukee and Portland would make great NHL cities, but I'm not familiar with any local issues.

No for Milwaukee.  Fiserv Forum had an ice unit installed as an afterthought. I'd say there's no financial backing, either owner or fans, for an NHL team. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's where I sit.

15 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

As for SLC, is the Vivint Arena made for a proper hockey setup?  All pics I have seen of the venues ice setup is like this.  

FebFHDLUcAE6ioX.jpg:large

Barclays 2.0

• Like 1

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

36 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Not sure if any of you listen to NHL radio on sirius, but they've been talking about Cleveland as a possibility on the air this morning.

Would Ohio be able to support two NHL franchises?  Feels very iffy.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 minute ago, CS85 said:

Would Ohio be able to support two NHL franchises?  Feels very iffy.

No and I haven't heard anything that would suggest that's a serious possibility. I don't think the league would do that to Columbus, one, and, two, Cleveland is a small market that's already over-extended with their NFL, MLB, and NBA teams. Sounds like AM radio guys openly brainstorming about available cities without much thought beyond "hey they cold they have arena they have other sports"

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png