NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Here's a meme the Coyotes can embrace!

CWCoyotes.jpg

The Arena Quest - looking for an 18-22 month-old Team-Free Arena in the Phoenix Metro Area. May or may not be a holy temple, as decreed by the holy powers of Mrs. Jesus Arizona Glendale Coyotes NHL, the Goddess Blue Heart, and Lord, Messiah, Saivor, and God of All.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Here's a meme the Coyotes can embrace!

CWCoyotes.jpg

The Arena Quest - looking for an 18-22 month-old Team-Free Arena in the Phoenix Metro Area. May or may not be a holy temple, as decreed by the holy powers of Mrs. Jesus Arizona Glendale Coyotes NHL, the Goddess Blue Heart, and Lord, Messiah, Saivor, and God of All.

Yeah, the people owning the Coyotes are some crazy mother:censored:ers if they think they’ll still be in Phoenix next year.

• Like 1

Chris-Chan looks like one of the sat-on-a-microwaves that got up to speak during the great city council meeting of '13; if I didn't know who that was, I'd think it was from that

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

“There’s no issue with the Arizona Coyotes,” Bettman said. “It’s clear that the City of Glendale has either an agenda or an edge in the way they’re dealing with the Coyotes. I think there was miscommunication. All of the outstanding obligations have been brought current.”

Yeah, no kidding there's an agenda Gary, the agenda is "where's the 🤬 money you owe us, you deadbeats?"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Yeah, no kidding there's an agenda Gary, the agenda is "where's the 🤬 money you owe us, you deadbeats?"

You know things are bad when the league is responding to a negative news story like a third world dictatorship.

• Like 4

I guess I'm on Team Move The Coyotes, have been since the 2009 bankruptcy, but the ultimate kicker is I don't think it's impossible to make hockey work in Phoenix, just as I still don't think it's impossible to make it work in Atlanta. A decently-sized arena that people can actually get to easily, and a product that people will actually want to watch sustained over a few years; that shouldn't be that hard to put together, really. You just need people who care; and unfortunately for the Coyotes, the only person who seems to care, who seems to truly believe that Phoenix can work as a hockey market... is one of, if not the least competent businessman in the entire sport. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

I guess I'm on Team Move The Coyotes, have been since the 2009 bankruptcy, but the ultimate kicker is I don't think it's impossible to make hockey work in Phoenix, just as I still don't think it's impossible to make it work in Atlanta.

Atlanta, like Houston, has some problems that are very hard to overcome:

- a large minority population that still seems ambivalent to the NHL

- a large transplant population that remains loyal to its respective teams

- low-density sprawl with limited public transit

- a suburban contingent that lives far from the city center and actively resents the city

I think both of the aforementioned actually suffer from these factors even worse than Phoenix does, and I don't think Phoenix can successfully overcome them, either.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think I've got it. Coyotes move to Houston, play at the Rockets' arena, purchase Joel Osteen's megachurch on the cheap as he comes under increased legal scrutiny, convert it back into the Summit, and achieve financial stability upon finding untold millions in the walls.

• Like 11
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

25 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

I guess I'm on Team Move The Coyotes, have been since the 2009 bankruptcy, but the ultimate kicker is I don't think it's impossible to make hockey work in Phoenix, just as I still don't think it's impossible to make it work in Atlanta. A decently-sized arena that people can actually get to easily, and a product that people will actually want to watch sustained over a few years; that shouldn't be that hard to put together, really. You just need people who care; and unfortunately for the Coyotes, the only person who seems to care, who seems to truly believe that Phoenix can work as a hockey market... is one of, if not the least competent businessman in the entire sport. 🤷‍♂️

There's an argument to be made that had things been done differently both Atlanta and Phoenix could have worked but as admiral pointed out, both have built in problems that would have to be overcome even with competent ownership.

Also, I want to remind everyone that the Phoenix Coyotes went to the playoffs five of their first six seasons in Arizona. It wasn't "the league gifted us a Cup contender right away" situation like Vegas, but the Coyotes were a successful on-ice team for their first half decade+

It's not like they were terrible all the time. In fact they were a regular fixture of the post-season for the early years, when such success would be the most important for securing new fans.

Regardless, what could have happened in Atlanta and Phoenix is immaterial at this point. People were saying Winnipeg shouldn't get a team again because the lost the original Jets. I'm sure such folks will be consistent and admit that after two tries Atlanta's cooked for the foreseeable future.

And Arizona? Well...it's been twenty-five years. Twenty-five years of tossing money into a black hole. Millions upon millions in both private and public funds just wasted. The whole thing has been a disaster. And sure, maybe really keen ownership makes it work and overcomes the market's issues, but that's not our timeline. Our timeline is the "millions upon millions wasted over twenty-five years" one. Enough is enough.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

All I'm saying is, imagine the Scouts' KC logo on the kachina pattern jersey. It's worth the embarrassment of a mid-season relocation. Gary, give me this one thing before I stop watching next year and never have a good thing to say about you again. Praise Gary

The problem is...no one in KC seems interested. The arena owners built it for a NHL team but then figured out that they didn't need a NHL or NBA team to make a profit off of it.

The ownership group in Arizona isn't paying their taxes, and is getting evicted at the end of the season anyway. Their only options are an ancient ice rink at the fair that is WAY below NHL standards and a stadium proposal in Tempe that, even if it were approved, would take the better part of ten years to build. And it may not even get approved.

Houston is interesting, but has the same issues Atlanta and Phoenix had. It just hasn't had the chance to fail yet. Even then though...the Rockets' ownership has indicated they don't want to buy a hockey team and just want them to exist as a tenant. So you need to find a billionaire to buy the team and also be ok with paying someone else rent. I don't see any takers.

No doubt the NHL's preferences are...

1) Stay in Arizona- Gary's ego can't take the hit

2) Houston- big city and media market, still in the Sunbelt, can still do that song and dance

3) KC- at least they don't speak French and you don't need to realign the divisions

But all three have their problems/lack interested partners. Which leaves... Quebec City. They have a rink. Ownership that wants a team and can afford a team. And a fanbase that will pack the rink every night. QC has everything ready to go and you could begin the transition as soon as the season ends. It's the easiest, most hassle free option and the option with the most guaranteed upside, financially speaking.

They don't want to take it though, because of OITGDNHL reasons. What's interesting is that they may not have a choice. And that's where the fun stuff happens.

The Joker Popcorn GIF

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

All I'm saying is, imagine the Scouts' KC logo on the kachina pattern jersey. It's worth the embarrassment of a mid-season relocation. Gary, give me this one thing before I stop watching next year and never have a good thing to say about you again. Praise Gary

I like the old Scouts jerseys. In 2021, however, you’d have to be on hallucinogens to think they’d bring back a uniform from a team that failed after 2 years. And that’s not even getting into any other issues such a uniform would have that would be verboten for me to explain further on. 

Quebec City makes the most sense, but this is the NHL. If Phoenix can’t work and Houston appears to be falling through? Well….

And the funny thing is? Kansas City has all those issues @the admiral mentioned with Houston and Phoenix other than the transplants along with Kansas City being a much smaller market. But again, it’s the NHL. They’ll probably do this anyway over Quebec City if they can find someone stupid enough to put a team in Kansas City. 

Edited by Red Comet

20 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Devils cited some vague Scouts inspiration in their crappy redesign. It's not impossible.

"The three sleeve stripes represent the Scouts, Rockies, and Devils eras."