NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Houston doesn’t have 25 years of evidence showing that the population won’t support a hockey team.

No, they just had one pro team for 6 seasons almost a half-century ago, that folded basically the moment Gordie Howe wasn't playing for them anymore.

• Like 4

Winnipeg is proof that the NHL can work in a small Canadian market. If Arizona moves there it will mess up the conference-division alignment. We may just have to have a 17 team East and 15 team West. I cant see Detroit and Columbus moving back west.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

10 hours ago, Sport said:

I think Houston would be an okay hockey market just on sheer volume of residents. Just don't put the new arena in a suburb that's hard to reach and they'll be fine. 

Atlanta Thrashers II: Still Thrashin'

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Winnipeg is proof that the NHL can work in a small Canadian market. If Arizona moves there it will mess up the conference-division alignment. We may just have to have a 17 team East and 15 team West. I cant see Detroit and Columbus moving back west.

The NHL finally is back to even conferences & divisions, so they aren't going to suddenly go back to an uneven alignment. Detroit fought for years to be moved to the East, so they won't be moving back without a fight. 

• Like 1

Keeping a team in the desert where its been shedding money consistently for a quarter of a century just to maintain a neat divisional alignment would a peak OITGDNHL self-own

• Like 7
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

18 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

No, they just had one pro team for 6 seasons almost a half-century ago, that folded basically the moment Gordie Howe wasn't playing for them anymore.

Other way around.  They were one of the most successful WHA teams, but the owner eventually gave up because the NHL was just not going to let the Aeros in under any circumstances.

• Like 4
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Gary Bettman has 12 days to shake down his other 31 owners for $1.3 million in back taxes owed by the Coyotes, or Glendale's going to lock them out of the arena. Shouldn't be a problem for them to cover it if they want to, but what an embarrassment. We're entering USFL territory now. Might be the league's house team again by the Olympic break.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

6 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Send them to the parking lot.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I still think Bettman pulls the gang together for one last job (ing dot com arena,) but I also think it's plausible that all the owners who are still around from the last time the league had to buy the Coyotes may decide it's time for them to find a new lackey and thank Gary for his 30 years of service.

TV money's locked in for a few years and Houston is a bigger media market than Phoenix, anyway, assuming Tilman Fertitta's alleged house of cards doesn't collapse in the interim. We may be past the point of the NHL feeling like it needs a team in the desert.

• Like 3

I've got nothing against a Houston Aeros team (provided their logos are nice), but the prospective return of the Nordiques makes me wet downstairs, as long as we don't get the dumb wolf logo.  I'd even be down with a KC team (if they even still want one) over the Loserdale Coyotes.  Is there any lease that they're bound to?  Or once they pay up their taxes (how does it even get to this point?) are they free to just leave?

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."