NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

35 minutes ago, Sport said:

Houston Aeros or we riot. 

I think Houston would be an okay hockey market just on sheer volume of residents. Just don't put the new arena in a suburb that's hard to reach and they'll be fine. 

Agreed. There are worse places than Houston to put an NHL team; it’s an improvement over Phoenix, er, Glendale.

30 minutes ago, kimball said:

You just KNOW that they're going to screw this up. The NHL will bypass Quebec and Houston interests to sell them to a group wanting a NHL team in Biloxi, Mississippi because ... SUN BELT!

If this somehow, against all reason, winds up with Salt Lake getting the team, then I’m all for it. Of course, while I’m no betting man, I’d be pretty comfortable betting my next paycheck that it doesn’t happen.

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Houston Aeros or we riot. 

I think Houston would be an okay hockey market just on sheer volume of residents. Just don't put the new arena in a suburb that's hard to reach and they'll be fine. 

If Houston gets a team they would just play out of the Toyota Center. 

2 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

If Houston gets a team they would just play out of the Toyota Center. 

Not unless the rumored buyer is the owner of the Rockets. The tweet says "the Arizona Coyotes are "for sale again with idea of buyer eventually moving team to a new arena in Houston." 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I was going off the first shared tweet, which used the words "NEW ARENA" and IF they're building a new arena then don't put the new arena in a suburb is all I was saying. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Gary said:

They just released a statement through text message to a few of the radio outlets in  that they’re not for sale, never going to be for sale and that they’re staying in Arizona for the unseeable future. 

Sure Jan GIF

Now, if only they can go all Browns/Hornacats and transfer the pre-desert franchise records/identity rights to Winnipeg as a condition of the sale.  Nothing screams OITGDNHL like a franchise blacking out, drunkenly waking up in Atlanta, staggering around for a few years, and crawling back home.

• Like 4

VmWIn6B.png

47 minutes ago, Sport said:

I was going off the first shared tweet, which used the words "NEW ARENA" and IF they're building a new arena then don't put the new arena in a suburb is all I was saying. 

If it’s a new arena, not used by the rockets you can about guarantee it will be in the suburbs. There is no reason to have 2 pro style arenas in the same city.

2 hours ago, Sport said:

Wouldn't this, however, be the same formula that got us the Atlanta Thrashers? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Yeah, the wording was a little confusing. I guess they just meant it would be a new arena for the NHL to be in.

15 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

The Thrashers were never set up for success considering their expansion process. If the Houston got the Coyotes they'd basically be inheriting Clayton Keller, Jakob Chychrun, 8 draft picks in the first 2 rounds, and $50 million in cap space.

If the ownership brought in the right front office staff & was willing to spend money they could easily turn this into a good team.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, dont care said:

If it’s a new arena, not used by the rockets you can about guarantee it will be in the suburbs. There is no reason to have 2 pro style arenas in the same city.

What I mean is don't put the arena in Houston's equivalent of Glendale. Put it where people can access it easily. 

32 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Yes or they could be like the Dallas Stars. Atlanta's failure was the result of several different failures piled on top of one another that didn't allow them to overcome the challenge of their uniquely weird market. I do not believe the Atlanta Thrashers' failure had all that much to do with the weather.

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Tilman Fertitta is barely making ends meet as an NBA owner. The only way he has NHL money is if he puts the Rockets up as collateral (which the NHL probably would accept).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Which raises the question as to why he would even welcome an NHL team?

Is it harder to get conventions and concerts thanks to COVID and its long term fallout, so he needs something to soak up arena dates?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Houston's the 4th largest metropolitan city in the US, but you know what the 5th largest is? Phoenix - the market that they're (allegedly) trying to buy the team from!

Houston doesn’t have 25 years of evidence showing that the population won’t support a hockey team.

11 minutes ago, dont care said:

Houston doesn’t have 25 years of evidence showing that the population won’t support a hockey team.

And they have a decent amount of hockey history otherwise to show that they would support a team…

Maybe the Coyotes can move to Atlanta again, and the circle of OITGDNHL would be complete

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

40 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

Why even contemplate about whether Houston is worth it or not? Just move the Coyotes to Quebec, where we know damn well hockey works, and works well.

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Other than the arena, Quebec doesn't have anything else that the league is looking for in a market.