NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

A lot of those people hung on with the Avs for years, too, which fascinates me.

Patrick Roy probably helped there. 

8 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

I don't see what's so bad about the divisions. The Pacific and Central are as good as you can get them geographically, the Metro has the 6 core teams that all have good rivalries with one another, and the Atlantic has the three Canadian teams + Bruins who should all be together. Nothing about where Buffalo, Detroit, Carolina, Columbus, and the Florida teams are placed seems egregiously bad to me.

First, 🤬 the Detroit Red Wings. 

Second, any division that's "Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto...oh and also Tampa Bay and Sunrise, FL" is a joke. 

Third, the Metro is a dumb name. 

Forth, so is the Atlantic if you actually look at where the teams are located. 

Fifth, these divisions have led to a dumb playoff format compared to the relatively simple one before. 

Sixth, the NHL is so in love with these dumb divisions they're going to keep a team floundering in the Sunbelt just to maintain them. 

Seventh, 🤬 the Detroit Red Wings. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Eric Lindros did and said whatever his mom told him to do and say. 

45 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Then the Flyers told him to "man up" every time he got a concussion. It's a wonder that he hasn't claimed demons are coming for him through the air conditioning.

Eric Lindros' mommy and daddy vs the Flyers organeyezation (specifically Bobby Clarke)  is one of the best sports feuds in history.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Patrick Roy probably helped there. 

First, 🤬 the Detroit Red Wings. 

Second, any division that's "Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto...oh and also Tampa Bay and Sunrise, FL" is a joke. 

Third, the Metro is a dumb name. 

Forth, so is the Atlantic if you actually look at where the teams are located. 

Fifth, these divisions have led to a dumb playoff format compared to the relatively simple one before. 

Sixth, the NHL is so in love with these dumb divisions they're going to keep a team floundering in the Sunbelt just to maintain them. 

Seventh, 🤬 the Detroit Red Wings. 

Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto...oh and also Nashville, TN and Raleigh, NC doesn't sound much better tbh. The EC division names aren't good, you're right there

5 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto...oh and also Nashville, TN and Raleigh, NC doesn't sound much better tbh. 

Why are these our only options? 

This whole thing exists because the Red Wings bitched and moaned about having to play in the West despite accumulating a quarter of a century long playoff streak and four Cups in five Finals visits. The whole league was bent over backwards to accommodate them. 

So 🤬 the Detroit Red Wings. 

• Like 2

Team and league sources say the Coyotes have explored other temporary arena options for next season, including a stopgap stay in Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The Coliseum is a nearly 60-year-old, 14,000-seat facility (opened in 1965) that would likely need significant upgrades in order to be NHL ready even on a short-term basis.

The NHL is certainly willing to make due with a temporary home for the Coyotes in the desert – but they’ve already run into an issue in Tempe relating to takeoff and landing procedures at the nearby Phoenix airport and this is already the second or third site that’s been considered for a new home under this ownership group.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/bettman-on-arizona-coyotes-issues-nothing-to-see-here/

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I remember reading the article in The Athletic back in February outlining the never ending Coyotes saga to that point.  The owners have a history of not paying their vendors across all of their business units then negotiating much lower "take it or leave it" demands, screwing over small local businesses who can't afford to litigate.  They brought this same model to their operation of the Coyotes because they figure there's no difference between the team and  SLS (IMHO the worst hotel on the Las Vegas Strip, Circus Circus not withstanding) 

Problem is if there's one expense you want to make sure you pay, and pay on time...it's taxes.  Ownership's delusion is also on full display if they thought they might be able to negotiate tax payments with Glendale who's already had enough of these guys.  Would have been funny though if the tax lien went to sale...we could have bought it for pennies on the dollar. 

There's an article in The Athletic today where Bettman says there is no issue in Glendale...using my NHL to English translation device it means there's a five alarm fire burning in the desert. 

• Like 4

On 12/8/2021 at 6:18 PM, Ridleylash said:

Coyotes apologists- The Jets are doing NFTs! lol cold weather teams do dumb things too! 

one hour later 

State of Arizona: The Coyotes owe $1.3 million in unpaid taxes and the city of Glendale will lock them out of the arena if it's not paid by the end of the year. 

Sometimes life comes at you fast. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

That's the same "grow the game" crap that's kept this team in Arizona for a quarter of a century bleeding money. 

Yeah. Houston is bigger than Quebec City. And Atlanta is bigger than Winnipeg. How'd that turn out? 

For all the talk of success the Jets have had off the ice, they are still the 26th most valuable franchise in the league, below teams like Nashville, Anaheim, & Dallas, and barely above Carolina. 

Yes, Quebec City likely wouldn't have to worry too much about selling out the building, but the ceiling really isn't that high. The league prefers to gamble on lower floor/higher ceiling markets, and that has worked out for them more often than it hasn't.

9 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Yes, Quebec City likely wouldn't have to worry too much about selling out the building, but the ceiling really isn't that high. The league prefers to gamble on lower floor/higher ceiling markets, and that has worked out for them more often than it hasn't.

How's it working in this specific instance?

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, Sport said:

The correct answer is the Red Wings and I'm gonna tell everyone why. Outside of some loose O6 connections the Red Wings have no real rivalry with the Canadiens or Bruins, if we're being honest. You could argue the Leafs are a rival dating back to the Norris, but that fizzled when Toronto went to the Eastern Conference in the 90's and I don't think it's heated up since being together in the Atlantic. The Blue Jackets have no real rivalries with anybody (and they never will if they go back west), but putting the Red Wings in the East means you've lost actual rivalries with Chicago, St. Louis, Colorado, and Minnesota. They did damage in the West and a lot of the Western Teams punched back over the years too. The Ducks, Flames, Sharks, Canucks, and Kings all have history with them as well. They haven't had any impact in the East. I still don't even really consider them an Eastern Conference team and culturally Detroit is more similar to those cities than any on the East Coast too. The Jackets, on the other hand, never made any noise in the West so there's no benefit to going back. They have done some things since being in the East, though, including being the last team to beat Tampa in a playoff series and they eliminated Toronto in the bubble. Those rivalries are budding and it'd be a shame to cut them short now.

Also time isn't a factor because most Detroit fans don't live in the Eastern Time Zone.

• Like 4
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

HFboards got really high on Chase Field earlier this week.

Yes, the baseball stadium.

Send help.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

32 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

For all the talk of success the Jets have had off the ice, they are still the 26th most valuable franchise in the league, below teams like Nashville, Anaheim, & Dallas, and barely above Carolina. 

The comparison isn't between the the team and the thirty-one other teams. The comparison is how much they're worth and what their revenue looks like in Winnipeg vs Atlanta. 

But you don't wanna look at that because it destroys your whole narrative. 

• Like 1

26th/32 for a 775,000 metro and like a 2.5MM television territory in which half the people are ridiculously far from the home games sounds pretty good to me. Everyone can't tie for first. I wouldn't trade them for Atlanta, nor for Houston (which is also basically Atlanta). I'd like to see them high 20s as a point of pride, but I ain't buying them and no one's selling them, so I can't really care. Ten years on, I can't see the move as anything but a net benefit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

The comparison isn't between the the team and the thirty-one other teams. The comparison is how much they're worth and what their revenue looks like in Winnipeg vs Atlanta. 

But you don't wanna look at that because it destroys your whole narrative. 

Here. I have stats!

The Atlanta Thrashers were worth $135 million in 2010.

The Winnipeg Jets were worth $164 million in 2011.

They shot up $29 million in one year by moving from Atlanta to Winnipeg. Winnipeg!

The Winnipeg Jets are currently worth $575 million by the way.

Keep in mind Winnipeg is only 12% of Atlanta in terms of population base. So how did that whole "bet on a low floor and high ceiling" work out for the NHL in Atlanta v Winnipeg?

Look, I've been championing this cause for a while around these parts. For a while it was all very speculative because we were close enough to the mid 90s to say "give it more time, what if they pull it off?"

But we're in 2021 now and the numbers are backing up what I, and others, have been saying for a while now. Yes. Tampa and Nashville worked. Congrats. Throw a party opposing fans won't be allowed to go to.

But not every Sunbelt experiment worked and it's time to admit that and fix those mistakes. The other side doesn't have anything but an appeal to emotion. gRoW tEh GaME!

• Like 3

Nashville must have hired a good marketing department circa 2011 because the pre-yellow-sweater Perds didn't even invite the discussion of "maybe they worked." They'd always had a core of tryhards, but at some point it became the entire fanbase's identity to be tryhards. I don't really remember a turning point in the on-ice product before the P.K. Subban trade (was it Shea Weber trying to crack Nicklas Lidstrom's head open like a walnut?) , but we all had to start jerking off The Great Smashville Fans in 2012. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Nashville must have hired a good marketing department circa 2011 because the pre-yellow-sweater Perds didn't even invite the discussion of "maybe they worked." They'd always had a core of tryhards, but at some point it became the entire fanbase's identity to be tryhards. I don't really remember a turning point in the on-ice product before the P.K. Subban trade (was it Shea Weber trying to crack Nicklas Lidstrom's head open like a walnut?) , but we all had to start jerking off The Great Smashville Fans in 2012. 

I think it was a combination of yellow sweaters and good marketing, paired with Nashville's rising profile nationally. Nashville became the "quirky" transplant destination and the team sort of played into that. By the time they were playing the Penguins for the Cup the narrative was that they invented having fun at hockey games.

You know...despite the fanbase's most memorable feature being something they stole from the Red Wings.

Echt. spits

I had to say something somewhat positive about the Red Wings. It didn't taste good.

• Like 1

Well, Nashville stole Michigan residents from the Red Wings, too, so I guess it's only fitting. I think the "cell block" or whatever it's called also ripped off all their chants from various Big Ten (or wherever Big Ten schools played their hockey) programs. There is truly nothing new under the Sun Belt.

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

Well, Nashville stole Michigan residents from the Red Wings, too, so I guess it's only fitting. I think the "cell block" or whatever it's called also ripped off all their chants from various Big Ten (or wherever Big Ten schools played their hockey) programs. There is truly nothing new under the Sun Belt.

looks at the Lightning turning into the Maple Wings

Whatever do you mean?

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 8:40 PM, BBTV said:

but the prospective return of the Nordiques makes me wet downstairs, as long as we don't get the dumb wolf logo. 

Look...

They have to use the Wolf jerseys as alternates right? Right!?

• Like 1