NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I wonder what proportion of the posts in the 411-page thread the Coyotes are responsible for.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The HFboards Phoenix megathread chain (dating back to the initial bankruptcy/Balsillie purchase attempt) looks to be up to thread 140, just from the Roman numerals.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

3 hours ago, Gary said:

Or between the walls where a random worker magically finds 10 million dollars and 25,000 fans. But I am a fan of this team. Been following this team and gone to countless games and can already tell you that doesn’t matter where they go in the greater Phoenix area. This team will never make a profit and even if the team does build a Arena in Tempe. It’s going to be the same as it is in Glendale. Basically means that this team will still be in red. As it stands East Valley teams will travel to Glendale as it is for the Cardinals and not the Coyotes. They can win a Stanley Cup and I say half the people here will care. So honestly if they leave it’ll maybe effect a quarter of the people. It’s time for them to go or just extract the team and start fresh somewhere else.

I'm curious as to why you think this is? I'm not challenging your opinion, but the general consensus seems to be that the majority of the fanbase lives in the East Valley. You say that people are willing to drive to Glendale for Cardinals games but not Coyotes, so don't you think more people would show up to an arena that's closer to their backyard?

26 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Conspiracy Theory: The Coyotes paid their taxes with the money found behind the walls of the bathroom at Joel Osteens church in Houston to keep the Coyotes from coming from Houston😄

They paid their taxes with the Blackhawks' rape-allowance fine.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

23 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

The only negative of moving the Coyotes is that we'd be losing the Kachina jerseys.

Even then, is it that much of a loss? Like, of all the defunct or nearly-defunct teams, the Yotes are beneath the Whalers, Atlanta Flames, and classic North Stars. It's unique and very region-appropriate, but it's not "amazingly beautiful."

• Like 2

Okay, so the Yotes live to fight another day, right?

Even with today's developments, I'd like someone to explain how taking the Yotes out of Arizona will be different from the following:

- The Braves leaving Boston in 1953.

- The Lakers leaving Minneapolis in 1960.

- The Colts leaving Baltimore in 1984.

- The Nordiques leaving Quebec in 1995.

- The Browns leaving Cleveland in 1995.

- The Oilers leaving Houston in 1996.

- The Whalers leaving Hartford in 1997.

- The Expos leaving Montreal in 2004.

- The Sonics leaving Seattle in 2008.

- The Rams coming back to LA in 2016.

Do you really want to deal with Arizonans suddenly becoming nostalgic for the Yotes if they leave? You want Arizonans to be butthurt at Bettman?

You seem to be greatly overestimating the number of people who still care. A decade of this drama combined with total on-ice irrelevance for the last 5+ years has encouraged people to take their attention elsewhere. The Coyotes at this point are mostly a morbid curiosity for weirdos like me to poke at every now and again.

Most of the cities you list got over their teams leaving just fine, too. We all "miss" the Expos and Whalers in a romanticized sort of way, but I wouldn't imagine more than a couple thousand people in Hartford or Montreal "season ticket deposit" miss them.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Exactly. Let’s remember how the Expos, outside of 1979-83, never finished in the top half of attendance. So much Expos nostalgia is severely rose-tinted and ignores a lot of demographic and economic issues regarding why they flopped. 

Also, the Red Sox were outdrawing the Braves in Boston by around 800,000 fans by the end of the Braves’ tenure there. Nobody missed the Braves in Boston.

• Like 2

The fact that it was allegedly “human error” raises even more questions. How do you forget to pay the bills needed to keep the city from impounding your own arena? How long before the players have to race each other to the bank like they’re the San Antonio Gunslingers ice show?

I bet the NHL is running this team by February. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

You know, the Coyotes are truly the closest thing the NHL has to Chivas USA.

All that would take would be a move to Quebec with the immediate firing of the non-francophone staff.

• Like 4

VmWIn6B.png

I know nothing about the guy's municipal management or politics, nor do I care to, but Kevin Phelps is pretty clearly not the brand of rube the Coyotes and NHL had such good luck with previously in Glendale.

• Like 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Kansas City would function better as an AHL market right now over an NHL one. Plus, with Mahomes wanting an NBA team in Kansas City? Guy brought Whataburger up here after wanting it so I give it 5 years before the Pelicans or Grizzlies end up here because he and a like-minded group of billionaires want it. 

I’m betting Houston is the first choice and Quebec City if they can’t find anyone in Houston. 

• Like 1

Houston needs someone to buy the team, because Tilman Fertitta doesn't want to do it, per Elliotte Friedman. So they need an owner who's willing to be the secondary tenant in an NBA-owned arena, probably seeking out a deal to get their own rink somewhere else in the Houston metro to maximize control and revenue. In other words, Houston ends up looking a lot like Phoenix circa 1996. No one from Kansas City has expressed interest, unless I've missed something. No one in the league is particularly interested in Québec City. Where else do they go? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Kansas City would function better as an AHL market right now over an NHL one. Plus, with Mahomes wanting an NBA team in Kansas City? Guy brought Whataburger up here after wanting it so I give it 5 years before the Pelicans or Grizzlies end up here because he and a like-minded group of billionaires want it. 

I’m betting Houston is the first choice and Quebec City if they can’t find anyone in Houston. 

Grizzlies aren’t moving with fedex money behind them. It would be the pelicans. Even the saints owners don’t want them.