NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Glendale was short $5 million, right?

Considering that they aren't paying the players in the playoffs, and that they're playing a team that's got a lot of road fans.....the NHL can milk this series to go the full 7 games, let Phoenix win, then have Phoenix be able to host at least two more home games in the West semis.....

...that's how you can generate $5 million to cover what Glendale can't come up with.

Problem: The Coyotes' most likely opponent next round is Nashville.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I was in Quebec yesterday, reading the local newspaper. Apparently there's a hunting and fishing expo going on this weekend. They're having the typical door crashers and raffle. One of the prizes is a pair of Season Tickets for the Quebec Nordiques. It's like Hamilton all over again.

Wait, wasn't it the whole "counting your chickens before they hatch" thing that got Ol' Sillie Balls thrown out of the Owner's Club before he even got a chance to join?

I think it's a little different. This is a radio station saying they'll buy someone season tickets. Balsillie went on Ticketmaster and started selling Hamilton Predators season tickets without having the rights to use "Predators." I think that, as much as anything, upset the league.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Considering that they aren't paying the players in the playoffs, and that they're playing a team that's got a lot of road fans.....the NHL can milk this series to go the full 7 games, let Phoenix win, then have Phoenix be able to host at least two more home games in the West semis.....

...that's how you can generate $5 million to cover what Glendale can't come up with.

Just based on ticket sales, teams take in nearly $1 million. Add in whatever concessions get sold, and that number just goes higher.

Based on TicketMaster's site, Game 5 is sold out. I assume Games 1 and 2 were also sold out. Just based on tickets, that's already nearly $3 million taken in. And since the Coyotes are guaranteed at least one more home game after today, they'll most definitely take in another $1 million in tickets, whether it be a Game 7 vs. Chicago or two games in the second round.

I'm not sure what the average ticket price is for Phoenix home games, so I used their cheapest available ticket price for a possible Game 7 vs. Chicago ($40) as the average price, which I think is a little on the low side to begin with. Per game, just on ticket sales, that's $685,000. To reach $1 million, they would need each fan to spend roughly $18.50 on food/drinks or items in the team's store.

The Coyotes charge much less than most teams, though, even for playoffs. Also, playoff gates are supposed to be centrally redistributed, unless the Coyotes got the same waiver for that as they did with revenue sharing, where you have to make x amount of money to get handouts oh unless you're the strip mall darlings.

For what it's worth, those $40 seats were in the corners of the upper bowl, which tend to be the cheapest ticket locations for just about any arena. There were also $60 tickets for upper bowl seats, and $275 tickets for sale in the lower bowl.

I wasn't able to find a full ticket-pricing map for Coyotes playoff games.

Prices also increase by round and are set by the NHL.

Thing is the $1 million/game in gate receipts does not assist the city much since that revenue goes to the team plus the city is not going to receive a very small portion in taxes off of each additional home game.

Just based on ticket sales, teams take in nearly $1 million. Add in whatever concessions get sold, and that number just goes higher.

Based on TicketMaster's site, Game 5 is sold out. I assume Games 1 and 2 were also sold out. Just based on tickets, that's already nearly $3 million taken in. And since the Coyotes are guaranteed at least one more home game after today, they'll most definitely take in another $1 million in tickets, whether it be a Game 7 vs. Chicago or two games in the second round.

I'm not sure what the average ticket price is for Phoenix home games, so I used their cheapest available ticket price for a possible Game 7 vs. Chicago ($40) as the average price, which I think is a little on the low side to begin with. Per game, just on ticket sales, that's $685,000. To reach $1 million, they would need each fan to spend roughly $18.50 on food/drinks or items in the team's store.

OK, I'll reframe this for you. Chicago has a large expatriate community in Phoenix that can be counted upon to buy tickets to watch their Blackhawks in the playoffs for pennies on the dollar. Nashville has neither the local community nor the fanbase to do likewise.

That's the problem. The Coyotes aren't going to be facing an opponent that will allow them to gloss over their lack of local support; unlike the last few years.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I find it interesting that it's looking more likely that the biggest southern-market failure (Phoenix) will be facing what looks, at least more recently, like a southern-market success story (Nashville) next round. I guess that solidifies my Preds bandwagoning stance this NHL playoff season.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I find it interesting that it's looking more likely that the biggest southern-market failure (Phoenix) will be facing what looks, at least more recently, like a southern-market success story (Nashville) next round. I guess that solidifies my Preds bandwagoning stance this NHL playoff season.

The Predators ownership did their best work in becoming profitable, by getting an additional break from the state the city did not know about after the city redid the arena lease.

The Predators ownership did their best work in becoming profitable, by getting an additional break from the state the city did not know about after the city redid the arena lease.

Well, that's a bummer. Gotta love lawyers and those that write these kinds of things. :rolleyes:

Guess it's now a lesser-of-two-evils kind of thing. :/

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Businesses? Doing all they can to turn a profit? SHOCK!

Still like Nashville, and the sleazy lawyer crap didn't put people in the seats. The hockey did.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Good point - games against Chicago and Detroit are reportedly very lucrative for the Coyotes, not so much Nashville.

Yeah, but the team hasn't been out of the first round in Phoenix. Who knows how they'll react ticket wise to the second round, Nashville or not.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Good point - games against Chicago and Detroit are reportedly very lucrative for the Coyotes, not so much Nashville.

Yeah, but the team hasn't been out of the first round in Phoenix. Who knows how they'll react ticket wise to the second round, Nashville or not.

Depends on if there's construction on Loop 101. Or if it's a weeknight. Or if "The Voice" is on.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

With all due respect, Nashville feels for all the world like an actual case of the "they only have 15,000 fans but they're all at every game" trope that people always fallaciously apply to various hockey teams. Their television ratings never seem to get published (neither do the Hurricanes, so it must have something to do with being on subfeeds of Fox Sports South), so we never get to see how far their audience does or doesn't extend beyond the gate. I'm highly skeptical that this team is really the "success" the apologists make it out to be. I mean, they're a rousing success in relation to the Coyotes, I suppose I'll give you that, but some people are making them sound like the freaking Canadiens in yellow shirts these days.

Depends on if there's construction on Loop 101. Or if it's a weeknight. Or if "The Voice" is on.

Luckily no construction (at least on this side of town). There does seem to be a lot more Coyote "fans" hanging around now though. Natural with any team with some kind of success I guess. And they're getting more air time on local news and radio stations than usual. Like I said, who knows.

-----

And admiral being skeptical/cynical about... well... anything? WHAAAAAAA?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Okay. The Predators are the best organization in hockey history. The rest of the world has a lot to learn about churning out fourth-liners and chanting "You Suck" at games. This is the Nashville Predators' league and we're just living in it.