NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Bear in mind that the forthcoming lockout could give the league another full year of wiggle room.

Maybe, but the NBA having a team in play would definitely give the NHL reason to consider Seattle. As it does appear the Kings may be in trouble again in Sac, mainly the doing of their own inept owners.

Sorry, but I see no fire in Sacramento, despite a bit of smoke. I looked up the latest reports after it seemed the NBA had handled the issue of the $3.2 million, and I see they only fronted a couple hundred thousand of it. Still, I just don't see the NBA walking away at this point. It might even be worse for the fans to lose their team this way than how it was playing out last year. And that post-ASG celebration picture should already be haunting KJ and the Maoofs, as predicted.

If anything, and if they can finally get the Hornets sale done, I could see the NBA then taking over the Kings in the same fashion. And I doubt it would be in order to move them to Seattle. The Maloofs seem to be the problem here. Perhaps Larry Ellison would settle for a team with a brand new arena that's not quite where he wants it?

At any rate, the NBA's behavior with the Hornets seems to stick with the "be first or second in the market" mentality. Even Seattle, with all its positives, brings guaranteed NHL competition to a city that's already crazy about the NFL and even MLS. And has an MLB team to boot.

So as much as the NHL might like to go to Seattle and keep the Coyotes in the west -- a suggestion that has been floated for at least a year -- I still think Quebec City will be inevitable, just as Winnipeg was. Why go be a fifth-fiddle afterthought when you can go be THE team and end up making so much money you get no revenue sharing (howvere that works)?

I agree Brooklyn is always an option, but only for the short-term. They'd need to have the arena deal in place before moving in to a facility with such a limited capacity, lest they be stuck there.

Tickets for the Islanders-Devils exhibition game went on sale today - here's the seating map on the ticket page:

42783s_a.gif

Sorry to interrupt the latest Coyotes news, but the Barclays Center website has a different seating chart with no available seating at one end of the arena. (My apologies for the large image size, they don't have a smaller one on the site.)

BarclaysCenter_SeatingChart_IslandersvsDevils_v4.jpg

Why the hell are the seats on one end all blocked off?

Probably because you'd only be able to see the opposite end of the ice due to the location of the rink and the pitch of the stands.

There's "limited" view, and then there's "really f'ing limited" view. Those would likely fall into the latter category.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Probably because you'd only be able to see the opposite end of the ice due to the location of the rink and the pitch of the stands.

There's "limited" view, and then there's "really f'ing limited" view. Those would likely fall into the latter category.

True.

But still, that is the :censored:tiest setup I've ever seen for hockey. Now I really hope the Isles don't move there.

True.

But still, that is the :censored:tiest setup I've ever seen for hockey. Now I really hope the Isles don't move there.

There's no way they move there with that limited a view from 1/5th of the usable arena. Looks like it's Nassau or bust for the time being in the NY area.

I agree Brooklyn is always an option, but only for the short-term. They'd need to have the arena deal in place before moving in to a facility with such a limited capacity, lest they be stuck there.

Tickets for the Islanders-Devils exhibition game went on sale today - here's the seating map on the ticket page:

42783s_a.gif

Sorry to interrupt the latest Coyotes news, but the Barclays Center website has a different seating chart with no available seating at one end of the arena. (My apologies for the large image size, they don't have a smaller one on the site.)

Holy :censored:, the Islanders are SCREWED.

I have to imagine if the Isles move here on any kind of regular basis (either temporarily while something's being built on Long Island or permanently) the Nets would be open to making some changes to the arena. Both sides have some incentive to make this work - the Isles keep their fanbase and massive NYC cable deal, and the Nets pick up a solid tenant to fill 41 (plus preseason and playoffs) dates on the calendar they don't have to find other events for.

Also consider that they could be manufacturing scarcity for the sake of the insufferable trudge that is preseason hockey. No sense selling the bad seats; you can open some of those up if you HAVE to once the games count.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

42783s_a.gif

Holy :censored:, the Islanders are SCREWED.

Also consider that they could be manufacturing scarcity for the sake of the insufferable trudge that is preseason hockey. No sense selling the bad seats; you can open some of those up if you HAVE to once the games count.

I think that may be at least part of the reason. I thought there was something fishy before, but now that I heard that, I think it makes sense. Look at the white sections on top of section 126/below section 106: I can't imagine the view would be SO bad from those entire sections that you couldn't even sell the tickets in good conscience.

If they moved there, couldn't they make the opposite end retractable and center the rink. I would think that, combined with adding some seats in open areas that are visible in the renderings, could get it up to 16K or so with unobstructed views.

When the Coyotes were discussing moving out of America West Arena, a plan was mentioned about renovating that building to have 16K seats with a view of the whole ice. Anyone know more details about what happened with that plan and why it never happened. I imagine the Coyotes would not be in the mess they are in if they were still in downtown Phoenix or Scottsdale.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Barclays Center is so much like Bankers Life Fieldhouse from a seating chart point of view.

The Pacers' place (I'm assuming that's Bankers Life Fieldhouse) and the Barclays Center were designed by the same folks.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/2012/04/09/20120409coyotes-deal-could-come-within-month.html

Glendale City Manager Ed Beasley told The Republic there's reason for hope off the ice, too. Residents and fans may soon get the resolution they have long sought, he said.

His confidence on Tuesday comes as the search for a permanent owner has become increasingly tense. Glendale faces as much as a $30 million budget shortfall. The city's dire finances are in part because of its commitment to pay $25 million to the NHL to cover team and arena losses the past two years.

Looks like Smoke & Mirrors boys & girls

baltimoreravens.png

They've been just about to maybe sell the team at the end of the month for three goddamn years now. This is the most agonizingly protracted sports-business story ever. Would someone on either side please just have the courage to say it's over?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/2012/04/09/20120409coyotes-deal-could-come-within-month.html

Glendale City Manager Ed Beasley told The Republic there's reason for hope off the ice, too. Residents and fans may soon get the resolution they have long sought, he said.

His confidence on Tuesday comes as the search for a permanent owner has become increasingly tense. Glendale faces as much as a $30 million budget shortfall. The city's dire finances are in part because of its commitment to pay $25 million to the NHL to cover team and arena losses the past two years.

Looks like Smoke & Mirrors boys & girls

No kidding.

I love the comments section. I find it amazing that there are actual Coyote fans that think it's actually going to happen...

Apparently the little zap of electricity they keep getting for going after that tasty little treat doesn't deter them from reaching for that tasty little treat...

tigercatssignature-1.png