NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I agree Brooklyn is always an option, but only for the short-term. They'd need to have the arena deal in place before moving in to a facility with such a limited capacity, lest they be stuck there.

Tickets for the Islanders-Devils exhibition game went on sale today - here's the seating map on the ticket page:

42783s_a.gif

I still can't believe they built an arena in New York City metro too small to accommodate every type of event that utilizes arenas. I don't just mean hockey either. Now you have fewer seats for concerts, you don't have room for motocross or monster trucks or the circus. Not that monster trucks are a big draw in New York, but why not leave open the possibility? It seems so stupidly shortsighted.

Three words: Madison. Square. Garden.

Between the Knicks, Rangers, and the other events held at MSG, there would be no open dates for another team to play. Also, I doubt the Isles would want to play on Rangers logo'd ice, and the Rangers certainly wouldn't change it. But it doesn't matter anyway, because of the first thing. Also, would the Islanders crowd (what's left of it) go into Manhattan for games?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Which team will be gone faster: the Islanders or the Coyotes?

I do not want to see the Yotes go, but it is so sad that nobody cares out here.

Moving them from Downtown to the West Valley was one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen a sports franchise make. Killed their attendance numbers, and in turn, their following (at least from what I can tell). Nice to have the arena 15 minutes away from me, but for someone coming from the likes of Chandler/Gilbert, it takes an hour and a half to two hours to get to the damned arena in rush hour traffic (conveniently when all the games start).

I'll be sad if they leave, but only for the same reason most hockey fans out here would be: i don't get to see my favorite team play the Coyotes live 2-3 times a year.

Any sane owner would desperately try to bring the team back downtown. But the cost and the fact that Glendale is such a vested party makes that impossible.

I'm in the same boat, and I'm in a decently close to Central Phoenix part of town. It won't be until there's a South Mountain Freeway that things are fixed. And that, much like the Coyotes, is a debacle.

Between the Knicks, Rangers, and the other events held at MSG, there would be no open dates for another team to play. Also, I doubt the Isles would want to play on Rangers logo'd ice, and the Rangers certainly wouldn't change it. But it doesn't matter anyway, because of the first thing. Also, would the Islanders crowd (what's left of it) go into Manhattan for games?

For me, the degree of difficulty getting to MSG is about the same as getting to the new place in Brooklyn. I'd take the LIRR to both since there won't be much parking at either place. MSG might even be easier since I wouldn't have to change trains at Jamaica.

But that really doesn't matter because of the date issue that you mentioned.

For me, the degree of difficulty getting to MSG is about the same as getting to the new place in Brooklyn. I'd take the LIRR to both since there won't be much parking at either place. MSG might even be easier since I wouldn't have to change trains at Jamaica.

But that really doesn't matter because of the date issue that you mentioned.

And the ice would be that much more awful with the Islanders in the building. It's among the worst (if not the worst) as it is because of all the events besides hockey at MSG. Now add another team and pulling up/laying down floors that much more often and it becomes even worse. Never in a million years would that happen.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I agree Brooklyn is always an option, but only for the short-term. They'd need to have the arena deal in place before moving in to a facility with such a limited capacity, lest they be stuck there.

Tickets for the Islanders-Devils exhibition game went on sale today - here's the seating map on the ticket page:

42783s_a.gif

Oh Jesus H. That's not a long-term solution for the Islanders, that's KeyArena lite. Who builds a basketball arena in 2012?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Which team will be gone faster: the Islanders or the Coyotes?

I do not want to see the Yotes go, but it is so sad that nobody cares out here.

Moving them from Downtown to the West Valley was one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen a sports franchise make. Killed their attendance numbers, and in turn, their following (at least from what I can tell). Nice to have the arena 15 minutes away from me, but for someone coming from the likes of Chandler/Gilbert, it takes an hour and a half to two hours to get to the damned arena in rush hour traffic (conveniently when all the games start).

I'll be sad if they leave, but only for the same reason most hockey fans out here would be: i don't get to see my favorite team play the Coyotes live 2-3 times a year.

Any sane owner would desperately try to bring the team back downtown. But the cost and the fact that Glendale is such a vested party makes that impossible.

I'm in the same boat, and I'm in a decently close to Central Phoenix part of town. It won't be until there's a South Mountain Freeway that things are fixed. And that, much like the Coyotes, is a debacle.

They wouldn't go back downtown if they could. In the first place, they were supposed to get a hockey specific arena after they moved to Phoenix, and as already illustrated in this thread, it was never going to (or really supposed to) work long term at America West. It was never a good plan with that configuration.

What's 's really a shame is that the original plan for a Westgate-style arena/mall center in Scottsdale fell through the first time. It was supposed to be built where ASU's SkySong campus is now. That would have been a perfect location. Right off the 202 and the 101. Just up the street from ASU main campus, just down the street from Old Town Scottsdale. That would have worked.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

42783s_a.gif

I still can't believe they built an arena in New York City metro too small to accommodate every type of event that utilizes arenas. I don't just mean hockey either. Now you have fewer seats for concerts, you don't have room for motocross or monster trucks or the circus. Not that monster trucks are a big draw in New York, but why not leave open the possibility? It seems so stupidly shortsighted.

*facepalm*

I was attempting to explain why the Barclays Center was built the way it was, not advocating for the Islanders to move to MSG. I think we all know that would never happen as long as the Dolans still run things over there.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

42783s_a.gif

Oh Jesus H. That's not a long-term solution for the Islanders, that's KeyArena lite. Who builds a basketball arena in 2012?

This award goes to former Nets majority owner, Bruce Ratner, who in 2004/05, thought it would be a fantastic idea to move the team to Brooklyn.

42783s_a.gif

*facepalm*

I was attempting to explain why the Barclays Center was built the way it was, not advocating for the Islanders to move to MSG. I think we all know that would never happen as long as the Dolans still run things over there.

MSG's existence doesn't mean you have to build a tennis stadium with a roof. Hell, Columbus Ohio has two full-size arenas. There's no reason not to open yourself to the possibility that maybe one day down the road you'd like to host something other than basketball.

PvO6ZWJ.png

42783s_a.gif

Idiots who think the fricken New Jersey Nets need an "intament basketball experience."

MSG's existence doesn't mean you have to build a tennis stadium with a roof. Hell, Columbus Ohio has two full-size arenas. There's no reason not to open yourself to the possibility that maybe one day down the road you'd like to host something other than basketball.

Yeah, I don't follow that train of thought, either.

So with the Mayor of Sportytown stepping down, is Glenderp now more or less likely to pay the NHL a third $25 million? Things to consider:

CON: they don't have $25 million to pay

PRO: hey, they're all gettin' outta here, so they aren't the ones who don't have the money to pay!

CON: they don't seem to have a very cordial relationship with Gary Bettman right now

PRO: yeah but honestly who does?

CON: with elections on the way in their land of far-right gun nuts and gold-hoarders, the city council members are publicly talking about what a bad deal the bailout has been

PRO: they do that every year and vote for it anyway.

so I dunno guys!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Ducks were out of the playoff hunt. (insert Duck Hunt image here)

San José had a fair amount of Kings fans last April when I was up there for a game, but you wouldn't have heard them because the Sharks won 6-1.

So the Anaheim Ducks' Goose has been cooked.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

San José had a fair amount of Kings fans last April when I was up there for a game, but you wouldn't have heard them because the Sharks won 6-1.

DuckShot.gif

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/westsideinsider/158447

Coyotes President Mike Nealy said he’s still confident the team will stay in Glendale.

“(The NHL) still wants it here,” he said. “They believe these groups can get it done.”

Nealy said that more than three groups are working to buy the team and keep it in Glendale, although he would not elaborate on their identities.

Former San Jose Sharks chief executive Greg Jamison’s group has been working to pull together funds to buy the team. A spokesman for a second group led by ex-Arizona lawmaker John Kaites and Chicago sports magnate Jerry Reinsdorf recently said they remain interested.

The identities of the other groups are unknown.

As if Atlanta didn't learn from this. Let this be considered the first warning light.

baltimoreravens.png

Haha oh man, remember when there was that Mystery Buyer who was going to buy the Thrashers (maybe the whole Atlanta Spirit package), then he turned out to be some goober who was, like, president of Dynamic Church Investments or something? And then it turned out he didn't actually have any money? Nothing's as good as Greg Jamison and/or Garry Jamieson, though.

DuckShot.gif

Come on my pun made you smile

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

DuckShot.gif

Come on my pun made you smile

Not in the slightest.

You're out of your element, Donny.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

42783s_a.gif

Um, someone who has a basketball team? Why would you build an arena that can host ice events if you don't plan to host any and are trying to optimize the venue to your sport? It's like asking why would a team build a baseball park that ONLY can host baseball and not football?

42783s_a.gif

Um, someone who has a basketball team? Why would you build an arena that can host ice events if you don't plan to host any and are trying to optimize the venue to your sport? It's like asking why would a team build a baseball park that ONLY can host baseball and not football?

Because you saw what happened in the 60's and 70's with those types of stadiums, how they're antiquated models and don't work in the modern sports world. Hockey and basketball are different in that you can definitely still build an indoor arena with great sight lines for both simultaneously if you plan for that from the get-go. It seems like by building basketball-specific you're just hampering yourself down the line. Just because you don't really need the hockey today doesn't mean you may not want it in 5 or 10 years. It's shortsighted is all.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps