NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Better yet... Tear down the Jobber, build a library with ample parking.

Reading Books is so last century, I say they turn Jobbing Arena into a flea market, its just its just like a mini mall

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

From joyce Clark's website.

As the City of Glendale entered the 21st Century the City Council had an opportunity to develop another area other than Arrowhead Mall as an economic engine ? that area is now known as Westgate. In 2002, the City Council moved forward with a commitment to build an arena for a NHL Hockey team, the Coyotes. The original agreement between team owners and the city did not include a city management fee. Steve Ellman and Jerry Moyes were owners of the team. Sadly, they promised much and delivered little.

Seven years later, 2009, Mr. Moyes put the team into bankruptcy hoping the National Hockey League (NHL) would approve a sale to Mr. Jim Basille who planned to move the team to Canada. The NHL refused and instead bought the team. This bankruptcy changed the equation for Glendale forever. The cost of arena management, never part of Glendale?s original deal, was thrust upon the city because of the bankruptcy.

Glendale?s arena attracted Cabela?s, and the UofP Stadium. It caused other property owners in the area to seek zoning approval for future commercial/retail development in and around Westgate. It attracted Tanger to place an outlet mall with 85-90 stores in Westgate scheduled to open the day after Thanksgiving 2012.

For the past three years there have been numerous potential owners. Matt Hulzier, a potential owner championed by the Mayor, wanted the city to issue $197 million in bonds as part of his deal. Two new potential buyers emerged: the John Kaites? Group and Jerry Reinsdorf. These buyers wanted the option of moving in 5 years. None of these potential owners would have benefited the city. And still the city pays the arena management costs. Media coverage of the disagreements about the cost of hiring a management company to run the arena is well documented. I will once again state my position that the $11 million figure bandied about during Council discussion by some has been inaccurate, was pulled out of thin air and has no basis in fact to substantiate it. Allowing the team to leave will hurt Glendale financially. The debt on arena bond construction still must be paid. The Coyotes generate revenue for 42 games and more when, like now, there are playoff games. If they are gone there will be fewer nights when Westgate can produce revenue for the city.

Suddenly there was Greg Jamison. The Jamison Group will benefit Glendale in the long term. Mr. Jamison has a proven track record. He turned the NHL San Jose Sharks into a successful and profitable team. He made the San Jose arena an extremely popular and paying venue. He invested in the community affairs of San Jose. What he did in San Jose he can do in Glendale.

In addition to the 42 plus nights of hockey the Coyotes do contribute to the economic well being of Glendale. They pay a monthly rental fee. There is a ticket surcharge on every ticket sold that goes to Glendale. There is sales tax on everything sold in the Westgate area that is generated from their regular season of 42 nights a year. Additionally during the current playoff extension of activity at the arena both teams, team staff and an entourage of interested fans are generating sales tax by staying at Glendale?s Renaissance Hotel.

Westgate, with the Coyotes, the Cardinals and Cabela?s, is poised to explode with new development. A majority of the zoning in and around Westgate has already been approved. The Super Bowl will be hosted in Glendale in 2015. All of this energy will cause the construction of more new developments in the next few years. In fact, another major development close to Westgate will be announced soon. Please keep checking this website for its announcement.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

As the City of Glendale entered the 21st Century the City Council had an opportunity to develop another area other than Arrowhead Mall as an economic engine ? that area is now known as Westgate. In 2002, the City Council moved forward with a commitment to build an arena for a NHL Hockey team, the Coyotes. The original agreement between team owners and the city did not include a city management fee. Steve Ellman and Jerry Moyes were owners of the team. Sadly, they promised much and delivered little.

Seven years later, 2009, Mr. Moyes put the team into bankruptcy hoping the National Hockey League (NHL) would approve a sale to Mr. Jim Basille who planned to move the team to Canada. The NHL refused and instead bought the team. This bankruptcy changed the equation for Glendale forever. The cost of arena management, never part of Glendale?s original deal, was thrust upon the city because of the bankruptcy.

Glendale?s arena attracted Cabela?s, and the UofP Stadium. It caused other property owners in the area to seek zoning approval for future commercial/retail development in and around Westgate. It attracted Tanger to place an outlet mall with 85-90 stores in Westgate scheduled to open the day after Thanksgiving 2012.

For the past three years there have been numerous potential owners. Matt Hulzier, a potential owner championed by the Mayor, wanted the city to issue $197 million in bonds as part of his deal. Two new potential buyers emerged: the John Kaites? Group and Jerry Reinsdorf. These buyers wanted the option of moving in 5 years. None of these potential owners would have benefited the city. And still the city pays the arena management costs. Media coverage of the disagreements about the cost of hiring a management company to run the arena is well documented. I will once again state my position that the $11 million figure bandied about during Council discussion by some has been inaccurate, was pulled out of thin air and has no basis in fact to substantiate it. Allowing the team to leave will hurt Glendale financially. The debt on arena bond construction still must be paid. The Coyotes generate revenue for 42 games and more when, like now, there are playoff games. If they are gone there will be fewer nights when Westgate can produce revenue for the city.

Suddenly there was Greg Jamison. The Jamison Group will benefit Glendale in the long term. Mr. Jamison has a proven track record. He turned the NHL San Jose Sharks into a successful and profitable team. He made the San Jose arena an extremely popular and paying venue. He invested in the community affairs of San Jose. What he did in San Jose he can do in Glendale.

In addition to the 42 plus nights of hockey the Coyotes do contribute to the economic well being of Glendale. They pay a monthly rental fee. There is a ticket surcharge on every ticket sold that goes to Glendale. There is sales tax on everything sold in the Westgate area that is generated from their regular season of 42 nights a year. Additionally during the current playoff extension of activity at the arena both teams, team staff and an entourage of interested fans are generating sales tax by staying at Glendale?s Renaissance Hotel.

Westgate, with the Coyotes, the Cardinals and Cabela?s, is poised to explode with new development. A majority of the zoning in and around Westgate has already been approved. The Super Bowl will be hosted in Glendale in 2015. All of this energy will cause the construction of more new developments in the next few years. In fact, another major development close to Westgate will be announced soon. Please keep checking this website for its announcement.

koolaid.jpg

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Doesn't she realize that the revenue the team brings in is offset both by the subsidy and by the fact that higher sales taxes will chase people away?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

42 nights? As part of the deal to buy the team Jamison has also mannaged to sneak an extra home game.

untitled-6.jpg

Joyce Clark has invited Coyotes season ticket holders to the next council meeting. Everyone who attends gets four hot dogs, four drinks, a banner, a shirt, and free admittance to the next council meeting.

Naturally there are still a ton of seats available.

Well, you know, with the traffic and all.

42 nights? As part of the deal to buy the team Jamison has also mannaged to sneak an extra home game.

Plus five more in Saskatoon! Wait, wrong sham owner.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Joyce Clark has invited Coyotes season ticket holders to the next council meeting. Everyone who attends gets four hot dogs, four drinks, a banner, a shirt, and free admittance to the next council meeting.

Naturally there are still a ton of seats available.

Maybe she has no council members to talk to since they're all pretty much laid off, so she invites a potentially angry mob of taxpayers to listen in.

When you know none of them are going to buy the team anyway, you don't have to be so particular about names.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It has been reported on Yahoo! Sports NHL section that the Glendale City Council has approved a preliminary budget that includes $17 million to be paid to the prospective buyer of the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes for operating costs for the city's Jobing.com Arena.

Surprise, surprise!

It appears from what I'm understanding that it boils down to playing with monopoly money, since they technically didn't have $17 million, so they lay off dozens of civil workers in order to raise the money.

As for Greg Jamison being a "potential" owner, I'm not saying he's not a fit owner. I'm saying is that he doesn't know what he's getting himself into. If he buys the team, will they stay in Phoenix? Rightly so. For a year at most. One owner can save a team from financial ruins and bring them to financial success. Not the case here, especially in Glendale's situation and the team's fiscal woes, not to mention our heroes from the Goldwater Institute breathing down his neck. Guaranteed he'll lose money in his first year, if the sale goes through. Other than that, I'd say he has his work cut out for him.

But have they agreed to pay him the upfront cash to buy the team. I believe it was what $40 million that Jamison was looking for to buy them?

Also shocked they've approved the 17 million, it's beyond stupid. I can't wait for the upcoming GWI lawsuit.

It has been reported on Yahoo! Sports NHL section that the Glendale City Council has approved a preliminary budget that includes $17 million to be paid to the prospective buyer of the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes for operating costs for the city's Jobing.com Arena.

Surprise, surprise!

It appears from what I'm understanding that it boils down to playing with monopoly money, since they technically didn't have $17 million, so they lay off dozens of civil workers in order to raise the money.

As for Greg Jamison being a "potential" owner, I'm not saying he's not a fit owner. I'm saying is that he doesn't know what he's getting himself into. If he buys the team, will they stay in Phoenix? Rightly so. For a year at most. One owner can save a team from financial ruins and bring them to financial success. Not the case here, especially in Glendale's situation and the team's fiscal woes, not to mention our heroes from the Goldwater Institute breathing down his neck. Guaranteed he'll lose money in his first year, if the sale goes through. Other than that, I'd say he has his work cut out for him.

But have they agreed to pay him the upfront cash to buy the team. I believe it was what $40 million that Jamison was looking for to buy them?

Also shocked they've approved the 17 million, it's beyond stupid. I can't wait for the upcoming GWI lawsuit.

I believe that was included in the package deal. Wouldn't be surprise if the city's check bounced. I'd say "BRING ON THE GWI!"

Here's Mike Smith attempting to perform an impromptu appendectomy on Mike Richards, right after giving up the game winner...And then Doan threw his bitch-fit at the refs and in the line, while the fans threw garbage onto the ice. Vince McMahon couldn't have dreamt of a heel this hardcore during the entirety of the Corporation storyline.

I'd say "BRING ON THE GWI!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wiYdUe36_Q

426px-Barry_Goldwater_photo1962.jpg

Phoenix Coyotes Pretend Homeless Drifters At Greyhound Bus Station Are Fans Welcoming Team Home

http://www.theonion.com/articles/phoenix-coyotes-pretend-homeless-drifters-at-greyh,28330/

yes i know its the onion and it's a fake story, but this IS the coyotes. does it stand to reason that this isn't far from the truth?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Semi-interesting interview with Marcel Aubut on a Quebec City radio station. He was predictably coy about anything obviously germane to having someone on the NHL's inside track come on and talk hockey business in Quebec City, but I'm more interested in his Ontario thoughts:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/hi0ujk

- What do you think of Markham, Ontario's new arena project?

- I don't like it, I don't like it at all. It really bothers me because one day there will be a 2nd NHL club in that area. Whether it be in Hamilton or the Toronto area, because the market has space for 2 teams. But there just is so much work to be done, there are zoning and territorial rights, naming rights, TV negotiation rights. We are far from it being cake there. But I will say, it bothers me that there will be a new arena in that area around Toronto.

In short: get off my lawn, bitch

A Jets board is tracking a private jet that's flying between Quebec City and Bergen County. Apparently there was similar traffic a year ago, but with Winnipeg. Hooray, we've crossed the Rubicon and entered the domain of Creepy Plane-Stalking SEC Fans.

A Jets board is tracking a private jet that's flying between Quebec City and Bergen County. Apparently there was similar traffic a year ago, but with Winnipeg. Hooray, we've crossed the Rubicon and entered the domain of Creepy Plane-Stalking SEC Fans.

That was literally 2 hours of talk radio the morning the NY Jets were to introduce Tebow, only instead of Quebec City to Bergen County (Teterboro NJ) it was Fort Lauderdale to Teterboro. (Which also made no sense since the Jets train in Florham Park which is 5 minutes from Morristown Airport in Morris County, but I digress.)

Creepy really.

And of course it turned out to be absolutely nothing, which that is.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

By most accounts, no, but they're cutting it extremely close. They can swing it if Quebecor has known for some time and has had a whole shadow cabinet set up to do all the business stuff, but if that's the case, what are we waiting for now?

It's not too late, but it's going to have to happen before the Cup Final is over I think.

I mean the Colisée Pepsi is practically ready, just needs some fine tuning, kinda like the MTS Centre this past summer.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|