NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Just curious - when a major arena is built in a suburb (like Landover MD, Glendale, Pontiac, etc.), does the anchor city contribute anything since its name generally gets associated with the team and they probably benefit from hotel taxes, or is it the suburb who assumes all the risk for the project? Or would each case be totally different?

In Michigan Pontiac paid for the Silverdome. I didn't know this until recently, but Pontiac also tried to lure the Red Wings in pre-Joe Louis era.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Glendale handed out pink slips to 49 employees Wednesday to help balance a $35 million spending gap in next year's budget.
The city last year handed over $25 million to the National Hockey League to manage the Phoenix Coyotes and arena. It has pledged another $25 million this season, which comes due when the team plays its last game.

So they're laying off city workers and closing public services because they're broke, while nearly three-quarters of the city's budget deficit comes directly from subsidizing a hockey team that nobody in town seems to particularly care about.

Pathetic.

Glendale handed out pink slips to 49 employees Wednesday to help balance a $35 million spending gap in next year's budget.
The city last year handed over $25 million to the National Hockey League to manage the Phoenix Coyotes and arena. It has pledged another $25 million this season, which comes due when the team plays its last game.

So they're laying off city workers and closing off public services, while nearly three-quarters of the city's budget deficit comes directly from subsidizing a hockey team that nobody in town seems to particularly care about.

Pathetic.

relocate the gd'ed team. :evil:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Just curious - when a major arena is built in a suburb (like Landover MD, Glendale, Pontiac, etc.), does the anchor city contribute anything since its name generally gets associated with the team and they probably benefit from hotel taxes, or is it the suburb who assumes all the risk for the project? Or would each case be totally different?

The facilities in Landover, FedEx Field and Capital Centre were private projects.

Such funding would be against most city charters. The major time in which you would see such collaboration is on much major project, like an airport when the anchor "city limits" are extended for the higher tax rate, but a special district is most often formed.

Whomever approves the bonds are the ones responsible for them. If the suburb approves the bonds and project, they are the ones responsible for repayment.

The suburban MLS stadiums which are publicly-funded are owned by the municipality in which it is in:

Chicago Fire- Bridgeviewt, IL

Colorado Rapids- Commerce City, CO

FC Dallas- Frisco, TX

Both Rangers Ballpark and Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX received no dollars from either Dallas or Fort Worth. The suburban BankAtlantic Center is owned by Broward County.

So they're laying off city workers and closing off public services, while nearly three-quarters of the city's budget deficit comes directly from subsidizing a hockey team that nobody in town seems to particularly care about.

Pathetic.

relocate the gd'ed team. :evil:

And all this time, they're trying to figure out a way to funnel more public money into this sinkhole on ice.

Time to let go of the ego trips. Bettman has to admit that this was a bad relocation. Glendale has to admit that they're not a major-league city.

http://www.glendalestar.com/news/hea...9bb2963f4.html

"At a May 8 council meeting, Scruggs said no one should feel too hopeful just yet, because she has yet to see anything in writing."

?All this talk the $25 million has dropped to $20 million, that has dropped to $17 million; I?ve never seen anything in writing,? Scruggs said. ?Maybe some of my colleagues have. There is no deal in writing. We?ll see what comes along, maybe it will be something that I can support, but at this point, I can?t support something I haven?t seen.?

What do you guys think, is this finally the end?

baltimoreravens.png

So it begins....

Music and art teachers should be weary.

Schools are not funded at the city level.

Plus Maricopa County has 57 school districts, and Glendale covers multiple.

School districts do not line up with cities in AZ. For instance the Glendale Union High School District has pieces in Phoenix, and the Peoria Unified School District has high schools in Glendale. There are also school districts with no city equivalent, especially elementary school districts.

So it begins....

Music and art teachers should be weary.

Schools are not funded at the city level.

Plus Maricopa County has 57 school districts, and Glendale covers multiple.

*yawn* librarians then.

Fact is civil servants are being laid off to keep this sham going.

http://www.glendalestar.com/news/hea...9bb2963f4.html

"At a May 8 council meeting, Scruggs said no one should feel too hopeful just yet, because she has yet to see anything in writing."

?All this talk the $25 million has dropped to $20 million, that has dropped to $17 million; I?ve never seen anything in writing,? Scruggs said. ?Maybe some of my colleagues have. There is no deal in writing. We?ll see what comes along, maybe it will be something that I can support, but at this point, I can?t support something I haven?t seen.?

What do you guys think, is this finally the end?

I feel it should've ended last year. All that money and civil jobs sacrificed all for the sake of Mr. Bettman's wishes to keep the team in Phoenix. It's like the NHL's version of Vietnam.

In the latest edition of "Absolutely nothing's going right in the Islanders' quest to get a new arena", NYC announced their plans for developing Willets Point. It includes a huge mall and parking garages. There's nothing about an arena included. Which probably means Wang didn't get involved in the process.

Oh. Joy.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Community Development, six employees.

Parks, recreation and library, 15 employees.

Management and budget, one employee.

Field operations, 20 employees.

Police, 5 (non-sworn) employees.

Transportation, one employee.

Human resources, one employee.

"So be sure and include playoff tickets in their severance packages - make sure you save one for yourself"

nhl94vansigpng.png

In the latest edition of "Absolutely nothing's going right in the Islanders' quest to get a new arena", NYC announced their plans for developing Willets Point. It includes a huge mall and parking garages. There's nothing about an arena included. Which probably means Wang didn't get involved in the process.

Oh. Joy.

A huge mall and parking garages? Hmm, that sounds familiar!

All that is missing is for the Town of Hempstead to fork over $25 million a year and cut general civil services in to keep this team afloat.