NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Arizona wildfires

Glendale had better watch out - or that parking lot might just become a reality.

Except that those fires are close to 100 miles away from Glendale. (Not to mention the miles and miles of pure sand and rock between Phoenix and the forests.)

I know you're attempting to joke, but awful attempt.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Actually, a disaster that destroys the Jobberdome might be the best thing that could happen to that city.

The team has nowhere to play, the league will be forced to sell them, the city would collect on some type of insurance (then use the money to make a parking lot), and their budget deficit would be reduced by $25M.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Actually, a disaster that destroys the Jobberdome might be the best thing that could happen to that city.

The team has nowhere to play, the league will be forced to sell them, the city would collect on some type of insurance (then use the money to make a parking lot), and their budget deficit would be reduced by $25M.

I wonder what the Professional Rioters™ from last June are up to. Probably making it prohibitively difficult and unpleasant for me to take the train downtown on a nice day.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wonder what the Professional Rioters? from last June are up to. Probably making it prohibitively difficult and unpleasant for me to take the train downtown on a nice day.

No, don't worry, Metra's taken care of that before any of the brick-wielding anarchists had the chance. Turns out "The Way To Really Fly" may or may not involve a finger in your anus.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

GWI is going to war...

Byron Schlomach, chief economist at the institute, said the proposed management fee to the team is too high, because comparable facilities garner around $10 million. That could be reason for the group to sue, he said.

?They seem like a gambler with their last buck,? Schlomach said in a telephone interview.

?There?s no way they are going to spend it on a meal, they are going to try to get back in the game.?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-21/playoffs-lure-coyotes-buyer-as-losses-force-city-to-fire-workers.html

baltimoreravens.png

Byron Schlomach, chief economist at the institute, said the proposed management fee to the team is too high, because comparable facilities garner around $10 million.

Why stop there? Some places don't even pay "arena management fees" and in fact collect money for the right to manage the arena, like Quebec City.

Byron Schlomach, chief economist at the institute, said the proposed management fee to the team is too high, because comparable facilities garner around $10 million.

Why stop there? Some places don't even pay "arena management fees" and in fact collect money for the right to manage the arena, like Quebec City.

That just shows how messed up this deal is. If Glendale was even paying a reasonable/comparable arena management fee, GWI would probably leave well enough alone.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

That just shows how messed up this deal is. If Glendale was even paying a reasonable/comparable arena management fee, GWI would probably leave well enough alone.

If Glendale was even paying a reasonable/comparable arena management fee, the NHL would have moved them years ago.

If Glendale was even paying a reasonable/comparable arena management fee, the NHL would have moved them years ago.

True as well.

How late could they realistically move the team? (Thrashers sale broke by media around 5/16/11...sale went through 5/31; Nordiques announced move to Denver in May as well)

I could see Gary trying to stall enough so that even if the sale falls apart, they have to stay out there another season.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

A lame-duck team would be the worst possible outcome from his perspective. He would suffer a whole season of humiliation, as every game would be accompanied by a reminder that Bettman couldn't even move a failed team correctly.

Best scenario is to move the team quickly and then try I forget this sorry episode altogether.

I could see Gary trying to stall enough so that even if the sale falls apart, they have to stay out there another season.

That's what happening right now. Jamison is Hulsizer. Hulsizer is Jamison. The deep playoff run merely serves to make the timing of the inevitable sale collapse less suspicious looking. The Phoenix Coyotes will exist come October 2012. I'll lay actual money on that, as opposed to whatever Glendale's gambling with nowadays.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That's what happening right now. Jamison is Hulsizer. Hulsizer is Jamison. The deep playoff run merely serves to make the timing of the inevitable sale collapse less suspicious looking. The Phoenix Coyotes will exist come October 2012. I'll lay actual money on that, as opposed to whatever Glendale's gambling with nowadays.

The collective future of Glendale children is your answer. Not sure the exact dollar value on that, but it's likely $25 million less than it was a year ago.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The best thing about that Phil Lieberman quote is that if you've ever heard him talk, he sounds just like the time that Eric Bischoff dressed up as a minister to marry Billy Gunn and Chuck Palumbo.

Gary Bettman stakes his entire reputation on the survival of hockey in Phoenix so I think we will see another year of this desert fun.

It doesn't have to be this way though. Bettman could finally give in and let them move, and still spin it as a success.

He could play the "I fought as hard as I could to uphold our policy of considering relocation as only a last resort" card (making the owners happy) while also appearing as a hero in the hockey hotbed of Quebec City. He could easily turn any defeat represented by the Coyotes moving into a victory.