Teams Most Needing a Rebrand

tnagraffix

That's good. I like that it uses yellow and blue to kind of make them match the preds as well as the fact that you took out the fire.

ALSO: red was used because it is one of the colors of the Tennessee flag. The flag is also the reason for the three stars in the sword handle.

TN-flag.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going NCAA FCS with my 2 cents.

Portland State hasn't had a change since 1999. Aside from Sacramento State, the Big Sky has a damn good looking group of teams graphically speaking.

q7aj51q56tnaxgfh586s0aieb.png

5718_portland_state_vikings-mascot-1999.

I mean their wordmark is, well, ok. But the two above are just bad for Division I.

The Portland State Horned Motorcyclists. I never got that logo and am surprised they're still using it. There is so much more you could do with a Viking than... that.

That second viking logo would look decent simply by standardizing the black outline and fixing the tangent between the top of his lower lip and the bottom of his nose.

For me it starts and ends with the Anaheim Ducks. Not a single aspect of their identity has been remotely visually appealing since 2006. The colours are ugly, the uniforms are a mess and the fonts are stuck in the 90's.

Going NCAA FCS with my 2 cents.

Portland State hasn't had a change since 1999. Aside from Sacramento State, the Big Sky has a damn good looking group of teams graphically speaking.

q7aj51q56tnaxgfh586s0aieb.png

5718_portland_state_vikings-mascot-1999.

I mean their wordmark is, well, ok. But the two above are just bad for Division I.

Is the bottom part of the main primary supposed to be like an abstract beard? I've always wondered that.

Regardless of what it is, it really always has looked like a horned motorcycle helmet.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

For me it starts and ends with the Anaheim Ducks. Not a single aspect of their identity has been remotely visually appealing since 2006. The colours are ugly, the uniforms are a mess and the fonts are stuck in the 90's.

Could not agree more, cannot stand watching the Ducks

I feel like the Ducks never really had an identity.

I think that the Padres need a complete rebrand, which is to say that they need a new team name.

There's nothing about their current identity that makes sense for a team called the Padres and they're so entrenched with the "team of the military" idea that they should really just go ahead and change their names to the San Diego Troops or whatever.

I feel like the Titans would be fine if they just tweeked their current set instead of completely rebranding everything. If they just changed their helmet stripe to match their pant stripe and removed the large shoulder stripes (like on their practice jerseys below), I believe they would have one of the best uniform sets in the league. It would look pretty simple compared to other teams rebrands but in my opinion, less can definitely be more!

titans-camp-800.jpg?w=800&h=525

i agree with the direction of making small changes, but i wouldn't eliminate the 1 thing they have that makes them unique: the jersey yoke.

the biggest issue with the identity is there is no unity between all the elements in it - and there are just too many things going on with the uniform. there is almost every shape you could come up with used on the uni.

- Greek inspired type and logo

- tapered helmet stripe

- traditional pants stripe

- use of red feels out of place; not consistant

with all of this, the uniform still feels stale. i think a simplifying the shapes and building things that have more unity would be a huge improvement. i would also drop the red and introduce a new color, maybe silver for the helmet, or copper.

I feel like this may be the fourth or fifth time I've done this (!), but years ago I did take a stab at trying to resolve those problems (SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT)...

TENtitans_stylebook1.png

TENtitans_stylebook2.png

TENtitans_NPCv2.png

Not mentioned previously, but it'd also fall right in line with the (currently far more) successful Predators' identity, not to mention Nashville's civic flag colors as well. (Guess that was me trying to bring a little "Pittsburghness" to the Music City.... :P )

hell yea! amazing what a good color palette and application of it will do for a design. especially silver in this identity. i'd probably keep the flames on the logo though as it's a nice nod to Helios

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I feel like the Titans would be fine if they just tweeked their current set instead of completely rebranding everything. If they just changed their helmet stripe to match their pant stripe and removed the large shoulder stripes (like on their practice jerseys below), I believe they would have one of the best uniform sets in the league. It would look pretty simple compared to other teams rebrands but in my opinion, less can definitely be more!

titans-camp-800.jpg?w=800&h=525

i agree with the direction of making small changes, but i wouldn't eliminate the 1 thing they have that makes them unique: the jersey yoke.

the biggest issue with the identity is there is no unity between all the elements in it - and there are just too many things going on with the uniform. there is almost every shape you could come up with used on the uni.

- Greek inspired type and logo

- tapered helmet stripe

- traditional pants stripe

- use of red feels out of place; not consistant

with all of this, the uniform still feels stale. i think a simplifying the shapes and building things that have more unity would be a huge improvement. i would also drop the red and introduce a new color, maybe silver for the helmet, or copper.

I feel like this may be the fourth or fifth time I've done this (!), but years ago I did take a stab at trying to resolve those problems (SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT)...

TENtitans_stylebook1.png

TENtitans_stylebook2.png

TENtitans_NPCv2.png

Not mentioned previously, but it'd also fall right in line with the (currently far more) successful Predators' identity, not to mention Nashville's civic flag colors as well. (Guess that was me trying to bring a little "Pittsburghness" to the Music City.... :P )

hell yea! amazing what a good color palette and application of it will do for a design. especially silver in this identity. i'd probably keep the flames on the logo though as it's a nice nod to Helios

I like that *shameless plug*, and someone said it earlier, the yoke is a really unique design aspect especially in the NFL, they just need to simplify all the other elements instead of getting read of the good parts. First step get rid of the dumb tapered helmet stripes

We've had these threads before and once again, it depends on your definition of "rebrand." Mine is pretty narrow. For example, I don't think the Bucs rebranded last year. They use the same logo and similar colors (distributed differently). Their brand is fine and they don't need a rebrand. They need a uniform overhaul, but not a rebrand. Therefore, I don't feel too many teams need a rebrand. Teams like the Bengals and Wild could use uniform adjustments. The Wolves need to add green but in a way that is still not a rebrand by my definition. For me a rebrand is a pretty big identity change.

So, with that:

• NFL:
    • Jets. Still should use green (so is this even a total rebrand?). But they need a new logo badly and a new uniform template.
    • Ravens. This will not happen, as they are one of the more relevant franchises. But there is not enough contrast in colors, too much darkness, and they've never had their helmet right. I'd love to see them start over.
  • MLB:
    • Brewers. I feel like this has aged very poorly. I've been on this board a decade (had I not found it, I'd probably have made something of myself). And I really feel like the Brewers uniform was well-liked back then. I never liked it but it was pretty popular overall (at least that's my memory). I feel like its popularity has declined. The drabness and overdone drop-shadowiness has grown stale. I am not sure what they should do but what they have now is just kinda "blah." I think the BiG belongs in the 80s, but the royal/yellow color scheme was nice and I think they should work from that. Maybe use a cap logo like the post-Motre Bame Germanic look.
    • Padres. Brown. Brown and Orange. Or Brown and Yellow if they must. Or, if they really, really do not want to claim Brown, then come up with something else. Having the quietest look does not serve a team that is among the lowest 3rd of MLB teams in terms of historical significance. They need to distinguish themselves. Blue and white does not do it.
  • NBA
    • Mavs. Pretty much read my Brewers comments. The look seems to have declined in popularity and around here, a once-popular look has worn us out with its drabness. Unlike the Brewers, however, the franchise's glory years were in these uniforms, so I'd say a rebrand is less likely.
    • Clippers. It's rare that I'd say this about a team who's new brand has not even hit the floor but that's how awful this is.
    • Suns. Are you purple and orange? Orange and black? Go back to any other brand you've ever had and you'll look better.
    • Thunder. Keep the colors and the uniforms (with one tweak I'll get to). Obviously they need a logo update. And I would do something that I almost never advocate. Not when the Cardinals (NFL) or Coyotes did it and probably not when the next team does it. But they should take the state name. Why? Because this is kinda a unique case. First, it's the only big time pro team in the state. Second, taking on "City" to the state name just does not flow. It's almost like saying "New York City Knicks" or something. Oklahoma Thunder just rolls off the tongue better. Third, "City" on the road uniform is the biggest problem that their primary set has. If ever a team was better off with the state name, this was it. New logo, "Oklahoma" on the road uniform.
  • NHL
    • Ducks. The black/gold is pretty blah. I'd like to see them set themselves apart either with something based on their original look (without going to the awful original name) or orange/green. The Ducks may be the team for which I've seen the most concepts on this board that are much better than the on-ice/field/court uniforms.

When I was looking at the NHL, there were a ton of teams I almost typed, but most were really just issues I have with the uniforms: Hurricanes should use the flags on the chest, Flyers should look 80s instead of 70s, Flames should drop black, Canucks should drop the wordmarks, Wild need ore consistency, etc. But overall, the NHL team brands are fine.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This can go on all sports, but right now in the NBA I have to say the Rockets, Jazz, and Thunder are the worst by far.

Jazz just needs to go back to one of these two beauties:

mountain-ak.jpg

x610-12-307x416.jpg

I see some people are talking about the Caps. I know their not bringing back the gold but I think it's odd that they introduce a Winter Classic uniform that's TOTALLY different from their current set, and the don't capitalize on it at all. They're even bringing back their old red jersey.

ALSO add to the list:

Dolphins

Buccaneers

I'd say 49ers but they really only need to drop their black jersey and get a red facemask IMO, so not really a dire need.

Those Jazz unis are all terrible. The current is the best they've ever worn.

I agree. Being a Jazz homer, I have to agree. This set is the best we've worn, especially the road blues. The only gripe I have is I wish the numbers weren't so generic and they swapped the gold and blue on the side panels of the green jerseys.

I just hope the Jazz stick with some color combo.

Minnesota Wild needs to get a less complicated logo. Even just deciding whether to use cream or yellow in their logos would help them. I don't know if that really qualifies as re-branding, though.

NFL

Arizona Cardinals

St. Louis Rams

Atlanta Falcons

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Washington

Tennessee Titans

Jacksonville Jaguars

NBA

Oklahoma City Thunder

Dallas Mavericks

LA Clippers

Sacramento Kings

(probably more I cannot remember at the moment)

MLB

Arizona D-backs

San Diego Padres

Miami Marlins

NHL

Anaheim Ducks

Calgary Flames (maybe doesn't qualify as a rebrand but changes are necessary imo)

Nashville Predators

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

I've tried to limit this list to teams that need a complete overhaul in branding, not just a specific color scheme/uniform/typographical change.

NHL:

Avalanche: Even though I do like the mountain set and the burgundy (either the original or current shade)/slate blue/silver color scheme, I think the aesthetic problems the team faces goes a little further than just the Edge-fill uniforms. The crest needs an overhaul to make the "A" less wonky and remove the necessity of a black puck, the new secondary needs to fit in more with the whole "Avalanche" theme, and the third needs a theme besides "Rangers-style wordmark."

Sharks: Keep a shade of teal, and blow everything else up. Get rid of the "Shark choking on a hockey stick" logo (but maybe still use a triangle to center it), ditch black/orange, maybe bring back silver, and use a template that is less plain, no matter how much "weight" it puts on the sweater.

MLB:

Brewers: I'd go with navy or royal blue/athletic gold as the new color scheme, and create a set that evoked a more neo-retro vibe to it, without egregious drop shadows or goofy number fonts. Instead of resurrecting the BiG as the emblem of the franchise, promote the Beer Barrelman in the logo set (either the "Brochert Field" version or the 1970's MLB version).

Diamondbacks: Aside from the "A" logo, ditch the rest of the set. I would start with bringing back the 90's colors (albeit without black) or come up with a new, more unique color scheme. Going for a Southwestern aesthetic in the scripts, fonts, and striping would also help (something like the cuffs on the old softball tops).

Padres: Just get some kind of bright color alongside brown or navy blue, promote the "Swinging Friar" in the logo set, and produce a set of scripts a little more grounded in the PCL history of the identity.

Rockies: Keep purple, but start from scratch with the secondary colors, logos, fonts, and uniforms. A western font would certainly aid the team's look, as would a complimentary color like powder blue or a gold shade (athletic gold or old/vegas gold).

NBA:

Bucks: Just update the early 1970's set with the proper green/red color scheme, none of the cream/black/light blue mess and no "styled like an old jersey" font. What they should have done was copy what the Astros did with their 2013 rebrand, instead of making an even bigger mess out of their identity crisis by bringing in new colors and gimmicky logos/fonts. Also, bring red back. Why get rid of it when you finally went back to it? It's akin to the Canucks dropping royal blue/kelly green when they finally brought it back after a long identity crisis.

Clippers: Create an identity with something nautical in the imagery, something that isn't R/B/Black/W, and something with a bit of character. In other words, anything but the bland identity they just released while still breaking free from the Sterling-era's aesthetics.

Suns: Just stick with purple/orange, and find complimentary colors other than black and grey. Get new western-style fonts, change up the uniform template (with something like the '68-'92 set), and maybe shy away from the "PHX."

I feel like the Ducks never really had an identity.

The only thing wrong with The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim was the name. Should have just changed the name to Anahiem Ducks, created a new wordmark and let everything else be.

Archived