2016 MLB All Star Game logo

The SHOW

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All opinions aside , I don't think any team NEEDS a unique color scheme to look good. Boston looks amazing and has the exact opposite of a unique scheme. It's not like a team NEEDS to have blue and gold.

I'm not saying the Padres in general need to use it. I just think at least one team in the league should use it because it's a nice color scheme and I think it would look great for a baseball uniform.

I really like the possible navy/gold/gray color scheme from the All Star Game logo. It's unique in MLB and I prefer it over brown/gold. I just personally think brown is ugly as a color scheme for a sports franchise. The colors for a team are used all over the place. Website, billboards, t shirts. I wear the occasional brown article of clothing, but I don't overdo it with the color. I just can't imagine a brown jacket, for example, being a huge seller after the novelty of it wearing off.

Plus, has anyone mentioned how badly the navy blue that is ALL OVER Petco park clashes with brown. It would be a very intensive and expensive effort to change the color of the wall padding, seats, and everything....and to what, green? No thanks. And I really don't want to see how crummy a navy blue dominated park looks with a brown identity.

The Park issue is one of the reasons I vehemently oppose brown for the Pads. I like that the stadium and team more or less match as it's a classy touch and it fits in with the rest of the gaslamp area to boot. When they've worn brown throwbacks the clash between stadium and team is just jarring and screams 80's to me when teams and venues had no sense of symmetry.

I liked the way the Vet looked with the Autumn colored seats.

ViewOfField.jpg

It was groovy.

As long as the Padres continue to use Navy Blue, they will not have a unique look. Too many teams in MLB wear some shade of blue. The Navy and Gold look is already sported by the Brewers. I understand the arguments to not wear brown but I think the Padres need brown. They have no identity now and even with adding yellow, which is great news, will still be a blue team, like the majority of MLB teams. The Padres are one of those few teams that has an opportunity and a history to go along with it to have a completely unique identity. It drives me crazy that they still refuse to bring back brown. The Padres need to bring back the brown and own it as their look.

Well the Brewers don't really wear the Navy and Yellow the Padres are moving to. In fact they what the wear has more in common with what the Padres moved away from a couple of years ago.

As for the Padres "history" with brown, that's not much of a history to embrace. They were one of the worst teams on field in MLB history when they wore brown, and aesthetically they were a disaster. A unique disaster I'll grant you. But not one that's necessarily worth revisiting.

Aesthetically they became a disaster. But they certainly didn't start out that way.

Even the '69 unis were pretty "meh". I'll grant you they weren't a disaster in the same way as what followed (when they embraced the 70's and Taco Bell with far too much gusto), but the '69's were meh in that they were the late 60's equivalent to the Oklahoma City Thunder. The uniforms in particular were just boring with their block script. And not having an actual grey uniform was a downer IMO. The closet I think the Pads in brown ever came to being "good" were the '85's and even those had far too much "Giants" in them and were greatly improved when they essentially turned blue a few years later.

As long as the Padres continue to use Navy Blue, they will not have a unique look. Too many teams in MLB wear some shade of blue. The Navy and Gold look is already sported by the Brewers. I understand the arguments to not wear brown but I think the Padres need brown. They have no identity now and even with adding yellow, which is great news, will still be a blue team, like the majority of MLB teams. The Padres are one of those few teams that has an opportunity and a history to go along with it to have a completely unique identity. It drives me crazy that they still refuse to bring back brown. The Padres need to bring back the brown and own it as their look.

Well the Brewers don't really wear the Navy and Yellow the Padres are moving to. In fact they what the wear has more in common with what the Padres moved away from a couple of years ago.

As for the Padres "history" with brown, that's not much of a history to embrace. They were one of the worst teams on field in MLB history when they wore brown, and aesthetically they were a disaster. A unique disaster I'll grant you. But not one that's necessarily worth revisiting.

That's true, however, they haven't had a great history with their current colors either. In fact, they haven't even won a World Series. They won an NL Pennant in 84', wearing brown, and 98', wearing navy blue and orange. It clearly depends on the person. I really like their late 70's look. For me, when I look at all the teams in MLB, there are so many teams that either have, red, blue, or black. I think it would be nice to start seeing a little more uniqueness in baseball.

That's true, however, they haven't had a great history with their current colors either. In fact, they haven't even won a World Series. They won an NL Pennant in 84', wearing brown, and 98', wearing navy blue and orange. It clearly depends on the person. I really like their late 70's look. For me, when I look at all the teams in MLB, there are so many teams that either have, red, blue, or black. I think it would be nice to start seeing a little more uniqueness in baseball.

Guess that's where we differ. The late 70's Padres you like to me were an abomination. And very inconsistent abominations at that. And uniqueness is not something I look for in a good uniform, I'd actually prefer if everyone wore white, grey and maybe an alt if they have to.

I would argue that the Padres looked:

Philosophically, I agree with bosrs. for every team, give me white at home, gray on the road. One alt (worn at most 10% of the time). But regarding uniqueness, it can be a positive like it was in the early days and in the late 1980s. Unique but not gaudy. The Padres problem is that they become gaudy for so much of the brown years. If they'd kept the late 1980s scheme, they'd have obviously dropped the road pinstripes and maybe changed the wordmark, but if they could keep from going with some weird pajama look, they could be unique and "modern classic." Home white with brown pinstripes (maybe even the same). Road gray with a "San Diego" wordmark. Brown alt. (And of course they'd go camo, but I like to pretend).

Look, bosrs is correct; the people there don't want brown. And it's never coming back. I just happen to think it's too bad.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Philosophically, I agree with bosrs. for every team, give me white at home, gray on the road.

I agree with this, with a couple of rare exceptions:

• The Royals, and only the Royals, can pull off the powder blue roads.
  • The Padres' khakis were amazing.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think you'd find that a majority of Padre fans in their 40s and older have a strong attachment to the brown. Sure they were horrible for years in the 70s but became good for the first time in the early 80s and went to the World Series in 84 with the brown. The first time is always the most special.

Those like me that were there and remember 1984, I believe, have a very fond attachment to the brown.

wiggins.jpg

I think you'd find that a majority of Padre fans in their 40s and older have a strong attachment to the brown. Sure they were horrible for years in the 70s but became good for the first time in the early 80s and went to the World Series in 84 with the brown. The first time is always the most special.

Those like me that were there and remember 1984, I believe, have a very fond attachment to the brown.

wiggins.jpg

That is a fair assessment. Generally among folks I've talked to it does seem to be the mid-40's to around mid-60's folks who like the brown. The young seem to favor overall the blue and/or camo. And the older folks I've talked to, in their 80's and 90's were glad the brown went away. Which makes sense when you think about it, you like what you grew up around. Old natives grew up with the PCL Padres who settled on navy blue and red pretty early. Folks in their 40's and 50's grew up with brown, younger people grew up with navy blue again.

It tracks to me personally. I first watched the Pads on TV wearing navy blue and orange, saw my first Padres game with them in Navy Blue and orange and became a Padres fan with them wearing navy blue. To me brown just isn't the Padres. Talk to my brother in law and you'll get the exact opposite reaction. He want them in brown and/or powder blue and he's a 45 year old SD native. Talk to my grandfather in law before he passed in May at 93 who was also an SD native (he went to school with Ted Williams), and he thought the brown was hideous and was glad it went away.

An updated version of this would look amazing:

sandiegopadresrandyjones1976homehjerseyH

I think they may have almost had that one right in 74

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1974.jpg

Definitely needed a better hat. If they'd used a yellow logo version of the 85 cap or the 69 cap that wouldn't have been terrible.

Actually I'm kind of hoping they use that as a base for the yellow and navy uniforms next season (again sans-Taco Bell cap with a modern interlocking SD).

I just wish the Padres org. would come forward with their "considerable research" which shows that the color brown is favored by a vocal minority. It really isn't that tough, guys. Just let us in on the particulars, such as How was this polling done? Where was this polling done? Who was asked their opinion? What ages were they? Season ticket holders only? San Diego-area residents only?

I have followed this team for 30 years, and I didn't get asked for my opinion:)

I would have more respect for them, (not that they care what I think of them), if they just came out and said "Here is where we are on brown. We f___ing hate it. It is a terrible color and we feel it is a terrible color for our brand. Some of you slobs who followed the team in the 70's and 80's, and a few youngsters out there who think it's neat-o, may like it, but we don't. It's not coming back. However, there is plenty of that hideous stuff for sale in the team store. Have at it if you must."

See, not that hard! Let's have one or the other. I will be waiting:)

I just wish the Padres org. would come forward with their "considerable research" which shows that the color brown is favored by a vocal minority. It really isn't that tough, guys. Just let us in on the particulars, such as How was this polling done? Where was this polling done? Who was asked their opinion? What ages were they? Season ticket holders only? San Diego-area residents only?

I have followed this team for 30 years, and I didn't get asked for my opinion:)

I would have more respect for them, (not that they care what I think of them), if they just came out and said "Here is where we are on brown. We f___ing hate it. It is a terrible color and we feel it is a terrible color for our brand. Some of you slobs who followed the team in the 70's and 80's, and a few youngsters out there who think it's neat-o, may like it, but we don't. It's not coming back. However, there is plenty of that hideous stuff for sale in the team store. Have at it if you must."

See, not that hard! Let's have one or the other. I will be waiting:)

Sales of throwback merchandise maybe? I just don't see a significant amount of brown when I watch Padres games. Not like you see throwback gear anywhere else, like Milwaukee for example. Even in Philly you'll see a good amount of maroon and light blue. Padres fans aren't even close to that.

If they have that information compiled, then they should show it! Not that tough. Let us all dig it!

"Let's see...... for every 30 brown Padres caps we sold, we sold 800,000 blue Padres caps". Ok, got it. We will move on.

Print it in the paper, put it on twitter, and Facebook, and their website, and wherever else.

What better way to once and for all, get all of us in the "BBTB" camp off their backs, than to make public their findings? Prove it is a minority. Make it public :)

Archived