MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Only the World Series Chromaflex patches are for retail sale.

That's all I've been able to find as well.

Why call it the "official post season on-field patch" when it's so clearly not?

Ugh,,,,

banners

Well to be fair there haven't been too many MLB players of asian descent that aren't from either Korea or Japan.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

2 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

Dodgers, Mets are in Korean. Astros, Royals, Cubs, Phillies are in Japanese. Just two languages representing all of Asia. Awesome!  

1. We've only seen seven out of thirty jerseys.  Who knows what's coming?

2. The reason I'd asked was because originally I wondered if the language was chosen by whether a team has an analogue in that league (like the Giants wearing Japanese because of the Yoimuri Giants, and stuff like that).  I don't think that's true, though.

3. Is each team going by their current or most famous Asian stars?  For instance, I would expect Japan from the Mariners, Yankees, and Dodgers for Ichiro, Matsui/Tanaka, and Nomo.

4. There's the NPB and the KPO.  Are there any other major Asian baseball leagues on the level of these two?

5. People like to complain about human rights any time China is brought up.

6. Asian doesn't necessarily mean all of Asia, but it sounds easier than "Japanese/Korean".  It covers them.

I dunno.  I'm just spitballing here.

spacer.png

spacer.png

If it's "Asian" heritage, I would hope that they would just cover more than just Japan and Korea. And if Chinese, Thai, etc. were others they would have, wouldn't it make sense to include those in the important promo photo? Unless it's just Japanese and Korean, then it's not really fair to call it "Asian" heritage if it's just two. 

Go A's!

2 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

If it's "Asian" heritage, I would hope that they would just cover more than just Japan and Korea. And if Chinese, Thai, etc. were others they would have, wouldn't it make sense to include those in the important promo photo? Unless it's just Japanese and Korean, then it's not really fair to call it "Asian" heritage if it's just two. 

Is baseball as popular in those countries as Japan and Korea? Maybe that's why they just went with those two.

8 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Is baseball as popular in those countries as Japan and Korea? Maybe that's why they just went with those two.

And it's a shame they went that route. If these are the two languages they have, then it's a poor choice to name it "Asian heritage."

And even though Korea and Japan are the biggest influences, the jerseys are for the American consumer and there are many people with different Asian backgrounds who like baseball. 

Well, we'll see once these things become official if it's just two languages or not. 

Go A's!

On 3/9/2016 at 1:08 AM, Totems!! said:

Watching a DBacks spring training game this last weekend on MLB Net with the local Arizona coverage and can't remember the player but they were discussing the new unis and he said the players themselves think they are atrocious (the pants). Thought it was kind of funny that they had an entire half inning interview with a player about unis. Also the player made a comment about how he thinks they will be wearing the teal based home uniforms more as the season progresses because none of the players are fans of the red based homes. Kind of interesting.

That's definitely interesting, seeing how they involved the players through the whole process. I wonder what those conversations were like.

12 hours ago, daveindc said:

That's definitely interesting, seeing how they involved the players through the whole process. I wonder what those conversations were like.

Goldy and Pollock seem to have spearheaded it and bought into it, maybe others that I can't remember. There's no way every other player was involved in the process or that every other player has bought into it either. I'm gonna imagine that most are disgruntled about it. Not necessarily disgruntled that they'll play like trash and ruin the clubhouse over it because it's still "just" the jersey but there's no way they all love the look of it,

Archived