MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Bouj said:

1. It doesn't look like the Yankees have side panels at all.  Which might be why they finally went to the new jersey: Majestic caved and made a different template for just the Yankees.  It's entirely possible that the Yankees won't even have the sweat tail.  We'll have to wait and see on that.  And it's even possible that MLB could do something dumb like produce template Yankees jerseys for retail while the teams wears non-template jerseys.  So much still to find out here.

We don't know that for sure yet. 

44 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

If you're going by the above photo day pictures I believe there's no side panels because they're wearing coolbase jerseys and its the flexbase ones that have the side panels and the sweat tail.

Not sure we know that either.  Can anyone identify coolbase vs flexbase just by the mesh pattern?  I doubt it... at least not yet since flexbase is still new.

34 minutes ago, Bouj said:

Yankees COOLBASE pinstriped jerseys never existed.  Only the road grey.  And COOLBASE has gussets.  Those jerseys don't have gussets either.

The only way to know for sure would be to get a statement from the team, but Lukas thought it was Flex Base.

Not sure we can tell if they have gussets or not based on the way he's modeling it.  One of the photos might show that there's no gusset, but it could just be higher. 

It's also interesting that they managed to replicate the zig-zag stripe pattern even though it's (presumably) now printed rather than woven.  If that's the case then that's good attention to detail.  

I hope that if this is a new template then the Phillies adopt it too, mostliy because I think raglan sleeves work better for pinstripes, but also because it would be more true to the 50s jersey their current one is inspired by.  They won't though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

We don't know that for sure yet. 

Not sure we know that either.  Can anyone identify coolbase vs flexbase just by the mesh pattern?  I doubt it... at least not yet since flexbase is still new.

Not sure we can tell if they have gussets or not based on the way he's modeling it.  One of the photos might show that there's no gusset, but it could just be higher. 

It's also interesting that they managed to replicate the zig-zag stripe pattern even though it's (presumably) now printed rather than woven.  If that's the case then that's good attention to detail.  

I hope that if this is a new template then the Phillies adopt it too, mostliy because I think raglan sleeves work better for pinstripes, but also because it would be more true to the 50s jersey their current one is inspired by.  They won't though.

1. I put the "might" qualifier in the wrong place.  Meant that Majestic "might" have produced a side-panel-less Flex Base jersey for NY.

2. The mesh patterns are slightly different.  Again, I saw the Flex Base in person, and I own several COOLBASE jerseys.  However, I had to be holding it to see the difference.  The mesh pattern is slightly different.  It will be extremely difficult to see in a picture that isn't zoomed.

3. The gussets were very wide and dropped down to a visible point under the arm.  It was very obvious when a team wore COOLBASE versus when they wore doubleknit, if you were only look for the gussets.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I noticed the Yankees and a few other teams have finally fixed the button spacing on their home jerseys. They now have evenly spaced buttons rather than the large gap between the 2nd and 3rd buttons.

2016 on the left and 2015 on the right.

25084104650_d631b13d21_b.jpg

25286683571_fd7bb3742f_o.png

25012114349_b09e5de774_o.png

Interesting. Looks like they now have a separate button shirt specifically for the jerseys with logos on the left chest rather than a wordmark across the front. Good move - why keep that odd spacing if you don't need the extra room?

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 hours ago, Wally1912 said:

I noticed the Yankees and a few other teams have finally fixed the button spacing on their home jerseys. They now have evenly spaced buttons rather than the large gap between the 2nd and 3rd buttons.

Is it me or does the pic of Votto with the beard, remind anybody of Russell Hantz or Survivor fame?

Wow.  I've been worrying about those side-panels for weeks.  Could it be we've actually dodged the bullet?  Could the pinstripes remain untampered-with?  Plus that button change is neat.  Does anyone know when this change took place, or if all uniforms have always had the gap in the buttons?

13 hours ago, KJTALBOT said:

That is the caged Tiger. The worst Tiger logo ever produced. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

It's just a Tiger climbing through the D, but even if you consider the lines to look like bars of a cage, creating some sort of unfortunate implication, the Tiger is climbing through the bars, escaping from the "cage".

spacer.png

spacer.png

2you5ht.jpg

i absolutely love the new Spring hat

arguably looks better than the LA(unpopular opinion?)

reminds me of the Twins M vs TC logo

This blue jersey and hat combo looks great. Id be totally ok with it as an alt. Both home and road with that hat

8 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Wow.  I've been worrying about those side-panels for weeks.  Could it be we've actually dodged the bullet?  Could the pinstripes remain untampered-with?  Plus that button change is neat.  Does anyone know when this change took place, or if all uniforms have always had the gap in the buttons?

The button gaps have really been on a case-by-case basis.  Like the Yankees & Tigers are just now adopting the equal spacing, but the Nats & Cubs have had it for a few years.  It might have been a case of each team previously saying, "No, we want standard" instead of, "Sure, switch us to equal spacing", just out of habit.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

On February 29, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Wally1912 said:

The second button literally makes or breaks the shirt.  Look at it, its too high, its in no-mans-land. You look like you live with your mother!

35 minutes ago, insert name said:

Yankees aren't doing the black armband for Yogi Berra? 

Nope, and they didn't do one last year either:

the-new-york-yankees-pause-during-a-mome

The New York Yankees pause during a moment of silence for Yogi Berra before a MLB baseball game against the Chicago White Sox at Yankee Stadium on September 24, 2015 in the Bronx borough of New York City. The Yankee legend passed away on Tuesday night at the age of 90.

September 24, 2015 | Credit: Rich Schultz

That's actually pretty common.  When Billy Martin died, they just wore his number 1:

f0f0b8b939777ec6f3a92f532b4321fc.jpg

When Joe DiMaggio died before the 1999 season, they wore a #5 patch.  A black armband was then added in honor of Catfish Hunter, when he did later that same year.

I think most memorials get a black armband (Hunter, Bob Lemon), which the giants get their numbers (Billy, Joe, Yogi).  Mickey Mantle got both, IIRC, but he might have been the only one.

3 hours ago, insert name said:

Yankees aren't doing the black armband for Yogi Berra? 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I think most memorials get a black armband (Hunter, Bob Lemon), which the giants get their numbers (Billy, Joe, Yogi).  Mickey Mantle got both, IIRC, but he might have been the only one.

In last year's thread we discussed this in detail.  I didn't understand why there was no black armband last year given that there always seemed to be an armband under the number.   It just so happened that someone else died the same year, and so they wore both.

spacer.png

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

In last year's thread we discussed this in detail.  I didn't understand why there was no black armband last year given that there always seemed to be an armband under the number.   It just so happened that someone else died the same year, and so they wore both.

Exactly, when Rizzuto died, they were already wearing the armband for Cory Lidle. When The Boss and Sheppard died, they played a whole series before adding another armband for Ralph Houk. 

Anubis.png

So, an interesting realization I had regarding the new Spring Training/BP uniforms: This is potential great news for the WBC. 

With few exceptions (Japan, notably) the WBC teams have been bogged down by bad paint-by-numbers BP templates for their game jerseys all year. This development could mean a return to the 2006 style where teams basically did whatever they wanted, which, IMHO, was much better looking.

Case in point, 2013:

940-dominican-republic-wbc-8col.jpgWorld+Baseball+Classic+Second+Round+Miam11phoenix2-img-articleLarge.jpg

2009:

hanley-reyes-wbc.jpg85388878-adam-dunn-of-the-usa-congratula85389756-miguel-ojeda-of-mexico-is-congr

And 2006:

09ussa583.jpgBMM10230-575x356.jpg57313399-italian-mike-piazza-is-announce71008377-carlos-zambrano-of-venezuela-pi57022855.jpg

Anubis.png

Crummy logo consistency from NE & MLB. The Braves' St. Patrick's Day cap uses the actual 1974 logo, whereas all of the Diamond Eras with the "little A" have made use of the updated version of that logo. The only time I see the Braves use the actual 1974 logo is on throwbacks. The modernized "little A" is the superior version, in my opinion, despite the fact it's not historically accurate.

productImages%2f_2379000%2fff_2379071_fu

productImages%2f_2274000%2fff_2274946_fu

productImages%2f_1582000%2fff_1582627_xl

Atlanta%20Braves%20Authentic%20Collectio

Atlanta-Braves-1974-Throwbacks-2014-5.jp

Archived