MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

20 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Tonight I'll have to play MLB 15 to see if that combo is in the game. 

In MLB 15, it's even weirder. The black vest has last year's BP jersey under it so instead of just black sleeves or purple sleeves, it has black sleeves with the purple underarm panels and the purple piping on the sleeves. I read somewhere that that was how the style guide now has it. If that's true then the style guide should be shot out of a cannon because that combo obviously has never once happened. It would make no sense if it ever did.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 2/23/2016 at 10:43 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

The blue jersey was not shown at the unveil, nor can I recall it ever being shown in any official context.  

Like I said, I remember it being displayed on a rack or chair, not on a person.  Must have been the fashion getting shown of, with the cry from the populace being off the missed opportunity rather than the scuttling of something that was.  I wonder, though, why they more recently announced they were going to start selling it recently due to public opinion.  Did they ditch selling it early on?  I'm becoming more and more curious about this jersey's history.

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1.  I'm also fooled by the Pirates cap.  Every shot of it (albeit there aren't many great ones) makes it look like the P is white.  I was convinced of it, but I've seen a few shots of the original that also appear that way (and I know the original was solid yellow) so I'll assume it's a product of the way the light hits the stitching and the way the P is sewn on.  So I'll go with it being yellow, until better pictures come out.  They're not selling it yet so it's not possible to see it in the on-line store.

The McCutchen picture is the one where it looks full yellow, and that's the one that's the only reason I didn't get tricked.  This one is the most like the white-with-yellow description.

18 hours ago, Gothamite said:

productImages%2f_2336000%2fff_2336643_fu

25 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

To add to BBTV's point, the hat really looks non-pillboxy (?) in the McCutchen pictures.

Is it just the McCutchen picture?  Like, is that the only one we see of it in use?  I see the pillbox, but it is a black hat on black.  The hat looks nigh impossible to see.

spacer.png

spacer.png

26 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Is it just the McCutchen picture?  Like, is that the only one we see of it in use?  I see the pillbox, but it is a black hat on black.  The hat looks nigh impossible to see.

That is the only picture I have seen of the hat in use.  In that picture, it looks solid yellow.

The issue with the McCutcheon picture is that it makes it look a traditional baseball cap with three stripes rather than a pillbox hat (see the waves in the top stripe, in particular).  That is the issue BBTV was noting.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I suspect it will look right based on the other photo.  It just doesn't look right in this picture.

All that said, I still want to throw my computer out the window every time I see those uniforms . . . or hear "We Are Family" for that matter.  :cursing:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

15 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Any chance this could be a set of pants that would only be worn with this jersey? I know these must be their new standards but one can only hope...

If the pants were specific to that jersey, why would they not have the yellow stripe to match?  Sorry, but i'm afraid these are the standard full time pants, and yes, they are absolutely horrible. The removal of the pants stripe cheapens the whole look big time. 

15 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I suspect it will look right based on the other photo.  It just doesn't look right in this picture.

All that said, I still want to throw my computer out the window every time I see those uniforms . . . or hear "We Are Family" for that matter.  :cursing:

It's We Are Fam-a-Lee... get it right please.

19 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Expos, Reds, or Orioles fan?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Orioles.  I thought my boys were home free when they were up 3-1 in the series . . . then the bats went cold.  Never assume.

6 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Orioles.  I thought my boys were home free when they were up 3-1 in the series . . . then the bats went cold.  Never assume.

I learned that from when "Murderer's Row Plus Cano" stomped the Tigers in game one and then lost the next three.   Learned to be suspect every time they open with a huge offensive explosion, because that doesn't mean it's over.

EDIT: I responded on my phone, so I didn't see the signature with the HUGE ORIOLES LOGO along with the other Baltimore-area teams.  That seems like a stupid question on the computer.

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I learned that from when "Murderer's Row Plus Cano" stomped the Tigers in game one and then lost the next three.   Learned to be suspect every time they open with a huge offensive explosion, because that doesn't mean it's over.

2004 would be a more fitting example. 

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Good times. 

6 minutes ago, jrodsep said:

2004 would be a more fitting example. 

Well, one was a once-in-a-lifetime thing and the other is rather common.

2 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Good times. 

I still want to know what that schmutz was on Kenny Rogers's arm.  Well, at least it's the reason I got into football.  I was ready for another Subway Series, and suddenly it was over and I wasn't ready.  I neeeeded more sports.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Colorado Rockies have recently filed to trademark this logo, which has been on their batting practice jerseys

CcAtdBdWAAA7DFn.jpg

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

23 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1.  I'm also fooled by the Pirates cap.  Every shot of it (albeit there aren't many great ones) makes it look like the P is white.  I was convinced of it, but I've seen a few shots of the original that also appear that way (and I know the original was solid yellow) so I'll assume it's a product of the way the light hits the stitching and the way the P is sewn on.  So I'll go with it being yellow, until better pictures come out.  They're not selling it yet so it's not possible to see it in the on-line store.

2.  It's very disappointing, because it's not really a pill-box cap.  It's not flat at all.  It looks like it fits just like a regular cap, which is going to look pretty stupid in action.  I hope they can reinforce the structural part of it so it has that flat appearance.

3.  Just browsing their site looking for pics, I have to say that the Pirates have one of the most underrated (or at least under-promoted) uniforms in sports.  Their standard cap is a total classic, but because they play in Pittsburgh and therefore won't ever get the kind of national exposure that most other teams do (plus they sucked for 25 years), I don't think it's viewed that way.  I put them and the SFGiants in the same class.  Classic teams that F'd around in the '70s but have returned to traditional amazing looks featuring bold secondary colors.

Agree with you about the underrated nature of the Pirates uniforms, it was unveiled in 2009, when the club was in the throes of a 20 year losing streak. And the Pirates were only contenders in 1997, and that was the first year of the red tint to a previous uniform set. The standard hat is a classic, and so many great players have worn it, from Ralph Kiner all the way to Andrew McCutchen. Hoping the Bucs and Astros can find a way to wear their colorful 70s unis when they play one another this season.   

2 hours ago, roxfan00 said:

The Colorado Rockies have recently filed to trademark this logo, which has been on their batting practice jerseys

CcAtdBdWAAA7DFn.jpg

I guess this is a re-filing?  Or was this a New Era derivative and the Rockies are now thinking "Huh...we should probably make this available to more licensees?"  Along with New Era, it is used on Nike merchandise as well, but I don't think I've seen it on Majestic or any other products

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 2/23/2016 at 10:24 PM, LEWJ said:

So far so good ?

Lindor was shown wearing the striped socks on Sports Extra (9:45 sports show on the MyNetworkTV affiliate - produced by the CBS affiliate news department - here in Cleveland).

Too bad the Browns haven't brought back the striped socks as well.  The uniform change would have been a good time to do it (would've also allowed three sock options and thus even more uni combinations).

Archived