2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see anyone else in head-to-toe red. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the owner is from Michigan and obsessed with players with any connection to Michigan, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Hurricanes used to have their own identity and it was actually pretty solid.  Now they look like a bad cross of the Maples Leafs and Team Canada.  "We removed the shoulder patches to instil timelessness"

24 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

i think the reason we have the lighting looking the way they do is because they focused on how other teams were dressing and ripped them off. If you just focused on yourself and try to be different instead of trying to be a team you're not, then you'll find your identity. I think more teams should stop worrying about what's trendy and what everyone else is doing and just find their own look unlike what the stars, canes and lighting did.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. These uniforms don't exist in a vacuum so you can't design them in a vacuum. You have to consider how your team will look within the context of the rest of the league, against teams you'll be playing, or you run the risk of accidentally looking too similar to someone else.

The Stars are fine because they're the only ones using that green. They're instantly identifiable. The Hurricanes and Lightning are not because they could be easily mistaken for other teams. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'd say the Stars have a top-10 uniform set in the NHL. Victory Green and the road uniform's template all make for a distinctive look that's hard to beat (unless you're the Blues, I take it). 

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't see anyone else in head-to-toe red. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the owner is from Michigan and obsessed with players with any connection to Michigan, though.

Yeah, it's probably just a coincidence. I say this as Karmanos weasels his way through the drafting of Ilitch's will, and plans to give Quebecor some sloppy seconds.

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

and that's how you end up with the Tampa Bay Maple Wings and so many different teams wearing red and black at the same time. What's best for your identity is standing out from everyone else. You absolutely have to consider the context within which the uniform and logo will appear so your brand has the most possible recognizability. 

Well for example, Tampa Bay have not done what's best for their identity going with Maple Leafs' blue and white. So that's a moot point.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

Well for example, Tampa Bay have not done what's best for their identity going with Maple Leafs' blue and white. So that's a moot point.

So then by this same logic it would not be best for the Stars' identity to use a green so close to what Minnesota uses. 

The Lightning-Leafs lookalikes is precisely my point. It's why I used them as my example. The Lightning management wanted to look like a more classic team so they took the Red Wings template and the Leafs colors, but din't consider how bad that would look in a division with a team that more famously uses those colors. They were designed in a vacuum, but there's 30 teams in this league. No excuse for all 30 teams not to have 30 distinct identities so it's important to look at the rest of the league when designing a rebrand. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

So then by this same logic it would not be best for the Stars' identity to use a green so close to what Minnesota uses. 

The Lightning-Leafs lookalikes is precisely my point. It's why I used them as my example. The Lightning management wanted to look like a more classic team so they took the Red Wings template and the Leafs colors, but din't consider how bad that would look in a division with a team that more famously uses those colors. They were designed in a vacuum, but there's 30 teams in this league. No excuse for all 30 teams not to have 30 distinct identities so it's important to look at the rest of the league when designing a rebrand. 

I wouldn't say that green is close to what minni uses. Plus it's only one color, lots of teams use the same color like red or blue. So long as they have different accent colors we're good. The lightning have no real color to distinguish themselves from toronto minus a little black that's barely visible. 

Just now, Rollins Man said:

I wouldn't say that green is close to what minni uses. Plus it's only one color, lots of teams use the same color like red or blue. So long as they have different accent colors we're good. The lightning have no real color to distinguish themselves from toronto minus a little black that's barely visible. 

I'm not saying their green is close to what Minnesota uses. I like Dallas' green because it's different. Bayne is the one who wants them to use a darker green closer to what Minnesota uses. That's what that was in reference to. 

The boards REALLY need multiquote back. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I'm not saying their green is close to what Minnesota uses. I like Dallas' green because it's different. Bayne is the one who wants them to use a darker green closer to what Minnesota uses. That's what that was in reference to. 

i think the green should be a bit darker, but nowhere near minnesota dark, i like that they use different shades of green as well. 

No issue with Dallas's green, just everything else they did with their uniforms and logos.

We need multiquote back but we also need people to care enough to prune their quotes down to what's pertinent. God, the people who would have like seven or eight nested quote boxes, what were they thinking? That's just it. They weren't thinking.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/12/2016 at 8:10 PM, chcarlson23 said:

:P That must make people wearing Sharp jerseys really confusing for you, huh?

Haha, you have no idea.  

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

8 hours ago, Morgo said:

The Hurricanes used to have their own identity and it was actually pretty solid.  Now they look like a bad cross of the Maples Leafs and Team Canada.  "We removed the shoulder patches to instil timelessness"

I think it's past time for them to make their third their home jersey and make a matching road jersey. By being a primarily black team, with red and silver, plus the Hurricane Stripe in my opinion would finally give Carolina something truly unique. I'm not saying their original look wasn't unique, but there are a lot more red and black teams than black and red teams and their black jersey is by far my favorite Hurricanes jersey to date.

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

6 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

i think the green should be a bit darker, but nowhere near minnesota dark, i like that they use different shades of green as well. 

I've never stated that I think Dallas should use a green that looks exactly like what Minnesota uses; just darken it a bit.... though dark green IS dark green so there's that.

But as Rollins Man said, if you're including accent colours which are totally different, then it's not really that big of a deal if you share a primary colour with another team. The league can have, what, 5 or 6 teams that use the same blue not 2 green teams? (I pulled 5 or 6 out of thin air, just guesstimating). 

Is it just because green is such a unique colour that it accentuates the faux pas of using a similar shade as someone else?

I see where you're coming from, just not sure I entirely agree with your assessment of where you draw the line between creating the strongest brand for your team's identity and the way your team's aesthetic fits in with the rest of the league. There's a balance, sure. But unless Dallas also used red in their uniforms, I don't think darkening their green (in an ideal Bayne world) would be crossing said line.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 5/13/2016 at 10:51 PM, McCarthy said:
On 5/13/2016 at 10:49 PM, Rollins Man said:

It's possible.

On May 13, 2016 at 11:29 PM, Chewbacca said:

I think it's past time for them to make their third their home jersey and make a matching road jersey. By being a primarily black team, with red and silver, plus the Hurricane Stripe in my opinion would finally give Carolina something truly unique. I'm not saying their original look wasn't unique, but there are a lot more red and black teams than black and red teams and their black jersey is by far my favorite Hurricanes jersey to date.

Or go back to the set they won a championship in.  There was nothing wrong with it until RBK added that stupid yoke piping, around the shoulders.

10 hours ago, Morgo said:

Or go back to the set they won a championship in.  There was nothing wrong with it until RBK added that stupid yoke piping, around the shoulders.

Compared to their current look, it would be a step up, though it is a little bit too busy for me. At least it was something original, though I do like their current road jersey. For me, I like their black jersey a lot better. There are too many red and a dark color teams in the NHL and them being mainly black with silver and red would give us another unique identity, and for the right reasons. Plus, I think their alternate logo is way better than the one they have had since 1997. I know it isn't accurate when it comes to a proper Hurricane Flag but as a logo, I think it's pretty good, and more than good enough to become their primary logo.

Archived