2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

Their alternate jersey alone looks good, but the whole uniform set is awful. Nothing matches. 

Arm striping =/= hem striping =/= pants striping =/= sock striping

Plus the more I look at the jersey, the more it does end up looking like Boston. The sock striping is basically the exact as same the Bruins' arm striping. They need to make the set more unique to stand out from the Bruins. This could be done by adding as much yellow as possible, especially on the away next year. And change the jersey font. The name is way too condensed and the numbers are too thick. They just make the back of the jersey end up looking ugly.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, elliott said:

^ This would be a great step in the right direction for the Penguins identity.

I think the real key for them: how do they use the black and yellow-gold (not khaki) without being too close to the Bruins.

boston-bruins-reebok-nhl-jersey-authentic-replica-home-away.jpg

The good thing about the throwback direction they are going: the yellow sleeves and black socks, compared to the Bruins' yellow shoulders and yellow socks, make them visually separated...

The bad thing: As you can see, the yellow-black-white-black-yellow stripes that the Bruins kind of "own" is the same exact stripe on the Penguins throwback socks.

Penguins should change the socks to match the waist stripe. However I really love that recolored sidney crosby image above. Looks nothing like the Bruins.

It's worth noting that the primarily yellow sleeves of the road uniform the Pens will most likely adopt next season are pretty different than the more black-heavy Bruins white sweaters.

The Penguins should go back to black and yellow, but shouldn't adopt the throwbacks as their fulltime look. It might be too late for that anyways. It's probably already decided that they're going back to the throwbacks full-time, but if they win the cup (their third straight while wearing those uniforms, incidentally) then you can bet for certain that the throwbacks become fulltimers in the very near future. 

The Bruins are a black-yellow-white team and so the best way for the Penguins to set themselves apart while still wearing the same colors is to be the black-white-yellow team. Just hints of yellow while the rest is black and white, that photoshop on the previous page is gorgeous. I would love to see that be their look, but that makes far too much sense. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Who cares if they don't match.

Perfect symmetrical matching leads to boring uniforms. It's one thing when the O6 teams do it, but every team in the league can't look the same. The Lightning are the best example of this. Their uniforms are technically great, but they look just like the Leafs. Their 2004 uniforms are not as technically good but I definitely prefer those because they are uniquely Tampa Bay Lightning uniforms. 

2 minutes ago, Ark said:

Who cares if they don't match.

Perfect symmetrical matching leads to boring uniforms. It's one thing when the O6 teams do it, but every team in the league can't look the same. The Lightning are the best example of this. Their uniforms are technically great, but they look just like the Leafs. Their 2004 uniforms are not as technically good but I definitely prefer those because they are uniquely Tampa Bay Lightning uniforms. 

I tend to agree-- the Canadians and Blackhawks (and even Leafs with their sock striping) have weird inconsistencies that give their uniforms charm. The bruins too, with the yellow socks. 

However, there is a line between small inconsistencies and maybe being a little TOO crazy. The penguins could at least get 2/3 of the Arms, Waist, and Socks to match. Then you throw in the yellow outlined in white on the numbers and the pants-- maybe it's too inconsistent? Don't get me wrong, I love the Penguins throwbacks, especially the patches of yellow on the arms and the way the black shoulders kind of creep in to those yellow panels like the Red Wings sleeves..... but all of the different patterns they use kind of mess with my head after a while of watching them on the ice.

16 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The Penguins should go back to black and yellow, but shouldn't adopt the throwbacks as their fulltime look. It might be too late for that anyways. It's probably already decided that they're going back to the throwbacks full-time, but if they win the cup (their third straight while wearing those uniforms, incidentally) then you can bet for certain that the throwbacks become fulltimers in the very near future. 

The Bruins are a black-yellow-white team and so the best way for the Penguins to set themselves apart while still wearing the same colors is to be the black-white-yellow team. Just hints of yellow while the rest is black and white, that photoshop on the previous page is gorgeous. I would love to see that be their look, but that makes far too much sense. 

It makes a lot of sense but sadly doesn't look like they are going in that direction.

The other option: instead of being the black-white-yellow team (which i agree, they should be, it even mimics the coloring of a Penguin), they are the yellow-black-white team. Unfortunatley, the Preds have kind of cemented themselves as the yellow team. I wish sometimes that teams could still wear yellow uniforms as their light colored uni, like the Lakers and like how the Kings did in the NHL back in the day. Or, at least let the pens wear yellow helmets on the road, like they did in the 80s (i think?). Like in this picture below. Would be fun inconsistency they could own, as mentioned above.

aapa063.jpg

Shameless plug: my concept for the Pens from years ago features a similar design as the Crosby photoshop from the page prior to this. Try to ignore the crazy logo and weird pinstripes if you can, there are some things about this concept I'd change looking at it now, but it's always fun to experiment.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/19711063/NHL-Concept-Pittsburgh-Penguins

24 minutes ago, Ark said:

It's one thing when the O6 teams do it, but every team in the league can't look the same.

Even then, only half of the Original Six have matching patterns.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

5 hours ago, elliott said:

I think the real key for them: how do they use the black and yellow-gold (not khaki) without being too close to the Bruins.

That's easy. Go back to this...

eKPwDdM.jpg

uhpWYIx.jpg

...replace the khaki with athletic gold, and add an athletic gold alternate. Ideally, they'd bring back the "robo-pigeon" as the main crest too, but that will probably never happen.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 hours ago, elliott said:

It makes a lot of sense but sadly doesn't look like they are going in that direction.

The other option: instead of being the black-white-yellow team (which i agree, they should be, it even mimics the coloring of a Penguin), they are the yellow-black-white team. Unfortunatley, the Preds have kind of cemented themselves as the yellow team.

I don't think the Predators have cemented anything.  At the end of the day they're just kind of there.  The Penguins could "own" yellow tomorrow if they chose to.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

eKPwDdM.jpg

uhpWYIx.jpg

...replace the khaki with athletic gold, and add an athletic gold alternate. Ideally, they'd bring back the "robo-pigeon" as the main crest too, but that will probably never happen.

I hope they do bring back the "robo-pigeon"(I've always been a fan of that logo) but my guess would be that it would be an alternate,if they do bring it back. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

On 5/31/2016 at 1:32 PM, elliott said:

The good thing about the throwback direction they are going: the yellow sleeves and black socks, compared to the Bruins' yellow shoulders and yellow socks, make them visually separated...

The bad thing: As you can see, the yellow-black-white-black-yellow stripes that the Bruins kind of "own" is the same exact stripe on the Penguins throwback socks.

Penguins should change the socks to match the waist stripe. However I really love that recolored sidney crosby image above. Looks nothing like the Bruins.

It's worth noting that the primarily yellow sleeves of the road uniform the Pens will most likely adopt next season are pretty different than the more black-heavy Bruins white sweaters.

I see no problem with this

boston_bruins_pittsburgh_penguins_1991.j

In fact, I think it looks quite good

team_17.jpg 

And if people look at me funny when I joke about Tampa Bay looking like the Leafs, because they honestly don't see the similarities until you put them side-by-side (idk how, but they don't) then this will be no problem at all.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

On 5/31/2016 at 4:36 PM, elliott said:

The other option: instead of being the black-white-yellow team (which i agree, they should be, it even mimics the coloring of a Penguin), they are the yellow-black-white team. Unfortunatley, the Preds have kind of cemented themselves as the yellow team. I wish sometimes that teams could still wear yellow uniforms as their light colored uni, like the Lakers and like how the Kings did in the NHL back in the day. Or, at least let the pens wear yellow helmets on the road, like they did in the 80s (i think?). Like in this picture below. Would be fun inconsistency they could own, as mentioned above.

aapa063.jpg

Shameless plug: my concept for the Pens from years ago features a similar design as the Crosby photoshop from the page prior to this. Try to ignore the crazy logo and weird pinstripes if you can, there are some things about this concept I'd change looking at it now, but it's always fun to experiment.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/19711063/NHL-Concept-Pittsburgh-Penguins

3 minutes ago, hockey week said:

I see no problem with this

boston_bruins_pittsburgh_penguins_1991.j

In fact, I think it looks quite good

team_17.jpg 

And if people look at me funny when I joke about Tampa Bay looking like the Leafs, because they honestly don't see the similarities until you put them side-by-side (idk how, but they don't) then this will be no problem at all.

Couldn't agree more, there is a clear visual difference between the Pens and Bruins when both are playing each other. The slim chances the Pens would ever change anything on their uniforms went up in smoke the instant Boston filed the inexplicable league protest in 1980. Being an older team in a league doesn't mean said team has any rights about colors and uniforms with other teams.

On May 31, 2016 at 6:58 PM, Lights Out said:

eKPwDdM.jpg

Look at those gloves. I wish the actual uniforms had that gold.

On 5/31/2016 at 3:15 PM, McCarthy said:

We are of one mind on this. Here's what I came up with a while ago to balance the Pittsburgh (black and yellow) and the Penguin (black and white):

This retains the contrasting sleeves of the back-to-back championship uniforms, but tapers them into triangles a la the post-championship and Dark Ages sweaters. If there's a flaw, it's the yellow-white-black outlines on the whites, but the Bruins do that now without much trouble, so have the Penguins do this and the Bruins do black-yellow-black like they used to.

Pittsburghroad.jpg

Pittsburghhome.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

We are of one mind on this. Here's what I came up with a while ago to balance the Pittsburgh (black and yellow) and the Penguin (black and white):

This retains the contrasting sleeves of the back-to-back championship uniforms, but tapers them into triangles a la the post-championship and Dark Ages sweaters. If there's a flaw, it's the yellow-white-black outlines on the whites, but the Bruins do that now without much trouble, so have the Penguins do this and the Bruins do black-yellow-black like they used to.

Pittsburghroad.jpg

Pittsburghhome.jpg

I'd take it a step further and match the sleeves on the black jersey to the white jersey so the whole jersey is black. There's just something about those yellow sleeves that I don't like. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I'd take it a step further and match the sleeves on the black jersey to the white jersey so the whole jersey is black. There's just something about those yellow sleeves that I don't like. 

I don't know about that one. I think they need the yellow there as a link to the 91-92 sweaters. Without them, that much black would be too drab.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The yellow sleeves are the primary feature of the jersey. That's what separates it from this

6f14d6336305d817d43b3d2121271524.jpg4880-523Fr.jpg

The feature doesn't need to be hidden like Detroit does, where it only shows up on the whites. It can be another color and highlighted.

If you don't like the sleeves...I think you just don't like the jersey

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived