NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Why would the Ravens get rid of Harbough?  That would be very stupid.

Exactly!

I don't think the team does.  However, there are some Ravens fans who do.  In my experience, many coaches are appreciated more by fans of other teams than fans of their own team.  Count me as one who appreciates Harbaugh.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

18 hours ago, dfwabel said:

In terms of sport, it all goes back to 2001 when Florida AD Jeremy Foley fired his baseball coach and used the quote later in 2004 when firing Ron Zook after a 7-4 season and 23-14 in three seasons.

That same guy then would hold onto Will Muschamp a full year past his very obvious expiration date as the Florida football coach, so that was a fun bit of going back on his word there.

spacer.png

Just now, dont care said:

I don't consider someone taking pain killers after getting hit repeatedly every week being a cheater but that's just me I guess.

Doug Martin can have the tag of being a cheater or being a complete dumbass.  His choice.  (And I wouldn't rule out the latter...he did go to Boise State, after all.)

NFL players simply have no excuses when it comes to what they consume.  If he needed painkillers that badly, the team would supply him with what he needed, and with the products approved by the NFL.

I've all but given up hope that the Bills will be a playoff team again, but I thought maybe they could at least run things competently off the field... apparently not.  They announced Rex Ryan's firing with a short press release, and then the first person to talk to the media the next day was the interim coach (who was the RB coach in September).  Not the GM.  Not the team president.  Not the owners.  All of those people have yet to address the media (and, by proxy, the fans).  It's especially stupid, because there's also a contract-related benching of the unquestioned #1 QB that the media wants/needs to ask about.

As much as we like to hate on Belichek for being as good as he is, he has a very valid point when it comes to the constant coaching changes that have happened in the AFC East.

Since 2000, the Jets have hired five coaches while the Bills and Dolphins have hired 9 each. Him and the Patriots have been the only constant in that division... when people ask why they always win the AFC East, you can point to that consistency of the Patriots as a strong reason.

It's too hard to say whether constant coaching changes are a cause or a symptom of a bad football team. Maybe Chan Gailey would have eventually turned it around with the Bills, or maybe it would have been more badness for the reasons that he was fired.

5 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

As much as we like to hate on Belichek for being as good as he is, he has a very valid point when it comes to the constant coaching changes that have happened in the AFC East.

Since 2000, the Jets have hired five coaches while the Bills and Dolphins have hired 9 each. Him and the Patriots have been the only constant in that division... when people ask why they always win the AFC East, you can point to that consistency of the Patriots as a strong reason.

Come on. Consistency doesn't matter if you have a bad coach. Some guys could coach a team for 15 years and never win. 

Having Tom Brady makes it really easy to have consistency at the coaching position. At the end of the day it's about being good. If someone isn't good, then get rid of them sooner rather than later. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

The amount of outcomes that need to happen for Tampa Bay to make the playoffs is just mind boggling.

My favorite is the Redskins-Giants tie that must occur.

Welp, another year of staying home for the Bucs.

On 30/07/2016 at 8:30 PM, 2001mark said:

Updated Aug 31.

AFC

1. Pittsburgh 12-4

2. New England 11-5

3. Cincinnati 10-6

4. Oakland 10-6

5. Jacksonville 9-7

6. Kansas City 9-7

NFC

1. Seattle 13-3

2. Carolina 13-3

3. Green Bay 11-5

4. Arizona 10-6

5. New York 10-6

6. Washington 9-7

SB Patriots over Packers

7 or 8 playoff teams, & my SB pick remains sober enough.  Yay or something.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

It's too hard to say whether constant coaching changes are a cause or a symptom of a bad football team. Maybe Chan Gailey would have eventually turned it around with the Bills, or maybe it would have been more badness for the reasons that he was fired.

Good teams don't constantly change coaches.

That said, it takes winning the lottery of getting a franchise QB and a coach smart enough to not screw up that QB.  If you have a good QB, you always have a chance...that's how today's NFL works.

Just now, HedleyLamarr said:

Good teams don't constantly change coaches.

That said, it takes winning the lottery of getting a franchise QB and a coach smart enough to not screw up that QB.  If you have a good QB, you always have a chance...that's how today's NFL works.

The Patriots have had one losing season in the last 20 years... you'd have to be a damned fool to change coaches.  It's chicken-and-egg.

I agree about the QB, though.  Half of the coaches the Bills have had would have probably been sufficient if the Bills had a top-10 QB.  They were one Week 17 loss against the Steelers' backups away from the playoffs when they had a declining Drew Bledsoe at QB... throw in a good 27 year-old?  They might actually... win a division?  That's something that football teams can do, right?  It's been so long, I can't remember.

Archived