Wisconsin can't get their new wordmark right.

mcrosby

I love that someone from this board caught that.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Part of the turf.

ahhh! That's a more interesting screwup then. 

I'm not sure how that particular error could've happened. Someone at the turf company had vector files of the WISCONSIN wordmark that most likely came from UW, they placed one in Endzone A with two upside down N's like you said, but then rotated the wordmark 180 degrees for Endzone B, fixed one of the N's, but not the other? I could understand all 4 being upside, but 3 out of 4 is even more strange.

PvO6ZWJ.png

20 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

ahhh! That's a more interesting screwup then. 

I'm not sure how that particular error could've happened. Someone at the turf company had vector files of the WISCONSIN wordmark that most likely came from UW, they placed one in Endzone A with two upside down N's like you said, but then rotated the wordmark 180 degrees for Endzone B, fixed one of the N's, but not the other? I could understand all 4 being upside, but 3 out of 4 is even more strange.

The only thing I can think of is that the endzone turf came in letter sized sections and was flipped during installation.

On 9/13/2016 at 3:03 PM, mcrosby said:

The only thing I can think of is that the endzone turf came in letter sized sections and was flipped during installation.

Wouldn't there be a of seams in the endzone if it was letter by letter sections?  If they are individual sections, the kerning is so tight that it's impressive that the seams are pretty much unnoticeable.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2016 at 8:25 AM, WSU151 said:

Wouldn't there be a of seams in the endzone if it was letter by letter sections?  If they are individual sections, the kerning is so tight that it's impressive that the seams are pretty much unnoticeable.

1) I would think -- and someone can correct me if I'm wrong -- that any joining of two sections would be done with thread that's colored the same as the patches, so the seams wouldn't be visible

2) Do we know if it was fixed for their Georgia State game?

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

From seeing turf installed at high school venues, line numbers and wording in endzones is added after the fact. They just cut out the turf and then lay down the white (or other colored) characters and sew them in place. That's why more artwork costs more money and most high schools use the bare minimum.

Sports lines are made in place as part of the roll. Most turf is 5 yards wide, and has the yard line right at the mid point. So, the seam is actually at the 2.5, 7.5, 12.5, etc yard lines. The endzone then is 'part' of three separate rolls. The background color is there, but the lettering is applied after. Since the turf may have to stretched/rolled to get it to lay perfectly and match up with the sidelines correctly. You don't want a wavy logo or wordmark in the middle of the field.

Archived