infrared41's Best and Worst 2016 - NFL Week 3

infrared41

Another solid week of good looking match ups and only a couple clunkers - which weren't entirely terrible, but they were still bad enough to make the worst list. Let's dispense with the small talk and get things started. As always, these lists are just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. 

Let's get the less appealing games out of the way first.

Worst

1. Falcons - Saints: Our first "contributory negligence" game of the season. 64% of the blame for this one falls on the Saints. The black pants are terrible. Period. The Falcons look isn't bad enough to be in Tampa Bay/Seattle territory, but it's much closer to the bottom than it is to the top of my list of best NFL looks. The 1970's version of this game would have looked fantastic. The 2016 version tops the worst list. 

Falcons.jpg

2. Broncos - Bengals: Great colors. Ugly, dated uniforms. Look at all the weird stripes and panels. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but both of these teams should use their color rush uniforms as a starting point for new looks. Especially the Broncos. 

Bengals.jpg

Close, but no cigar...

Ravens - Jaguars: Maybe I should change the name of this category to "infrared's weekly excuse to point out how close Jacksonville is to a great uniform." Anyway, for the 3rd straight week, the Jaguars got it 90% right. Do I even need to point out the 10% they got wrong? B) Kudos to the Ravens for staying away from the black pants. 

Jags.jpg

Best

1. Raiders - Titans: Thankfully, the Titans didn't go all white for this game. I thought the colors worked together very well in the sunshine in this one. A very good looking game. 

Raiders.jpg

2. Steelers - Eagles: Another game in which I thought the colors worked really well together. The Steelers road look is one of my favorites.

Eagles.jpg

3. Lions - Packers: This match up has looked good for a very long time. Hopefully, the Lions won't screw it up with the upcoming uniform change.

Packers1.jpg

4. Bears - Cowboys: Best home uniform in the NFL becomes the best road uniform in the NFL. 

Bears.jpg

5. Vikings - Panthers: Two great looking uniforms, but I don't think the colors worked all that well together. That said, this match up was still more than good enough for a spot on the best list.

Vikings.jpg

Honorable Mention:

Washington - New York Giants: Remind me to never mention Washington's burgundy pants again. Last week I said I didn't miss the burgundy pants at all so what happens? Washington brings them back the very next week. Even though the burgundy pants aren't my favorite, this was still a pretty good looking game. 

Giants.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for dropping by.

BB52Big.jpg

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Close, but no cigar...

Ravens - Jaguars: Maybe I should change the name of this category to "infrared's weekly excuse to point out how close Jacksonville is to a great uniform." Anyway, for the 3rd straight week, the Jaguars got it 90% right. Do I even need to point out the 10% they got wrong? B) Kudos to the Ravens for staying away from the black pants. 

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I just can't get past the 10%.

They would look good with either gold or black helmets.  Just pick one!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I love how the teal numbers look on the white jerseys. The Jags number font could be better, and the contrasting color sleeves are begging for a logo or a number to house, and the collar is goofy, and they should wear their teal jerseys (but with white numbers) as their primary jersey, but the uniform isn't that bad and those colors really work well with each other, but those helmets THOUGH. Those are the worst decision anyone's put on an NFL field in a half century.

Everytime I see a dude from the back I think how good all gold helmets would look.

Bortles Gold.jpg

An all black helmet would be good too, but I like gold because it's a splash of color and less black in the league is always better. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

If you asked me to choose, I'd say gold.  However, I would like the black too . . . particularly if they ditched the matte finish.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I am with you with the burgundy Skins pants. I dislike them. But it was still a good looking game. Bears and Cowboys aren't really my favorite looks but I can't disagree that it looked good. Philly/Pittsburgh seems off to me...almost like something is missing. Green Bay/Detroit is beautiful as always. Minnesota/Carolina looks nice and Titans light blue with the Raiders traditional beauties made for a great matchup. I agree with your worst and close but no cigar. Good work. Looking forward to next week!

The Redskins look great in burgundy pants with white jerseys and socks. The Giants in white pants, I dunno, I got used to the grey and now it looks off. 

Oakland hasn't worn white yet this year. Maryland is warm enough long enough that the Ravens miiiight keep the streak alive. The Titans looked as good as they're going to look with that set.

Unlike you guys, I think the Jaguars' uniforms are beyond help. I like the updated logo but they're not doing anything anywhere else that's an improvement over the pre-2009 set.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The Giants in white pants, I dunno, I got used to the grey and now it looks off. 

Oakland hasn't worn white yet this year.

Agreed. The Giants white pants aren't terrible, but they don't look as good as the gray pants.

Oakland's road set is the best in the league. We'll get to see it at some point. 

BB52Big.jpg

8 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I love how the teal numbers look on the white jerseys. The Jags number font could be better, and the contrasting color sleeves are begging for a logo or a number to house, and the collar is goofy, and they should wear their teal jerseys (but with white numbers) as their primary jersey, but the uniform isn't that bad and those colors really work well with each other, but those helmets THOUGH. Those are the worst decision anyone's put on an NFL field in a half century.

Everytime I see a dude from the back I think how good all gold helmets would look.

Bortles Gold.jpg

An all black helmet would be good too, but I like gold because it's a splash of color and less black in the league is always better. 

Or maybe like this,

jacksonville%2Bjaguars.png

Link ---> https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bI_QQskPm7Y/Vrdd72dtpaI/AAAAAAAACMs/m78qq0nYti8/s1600/jacksonville%2Bjaguars.png

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Unlike you guys, I think the Jaguars' uniforms are beyond help. I like the updated logo but they're not doing anything anywhere else that's an improvement over the pre-2009 set.

I'm totally with you on this. I think that set is awful all round and am constantly surprised by the amount of people who think it's only the helmets holding them back from a really good look.

Related note: IMO every time the Jags have changed uniform it's been a downgrade. I'm struggling to think of another team that has never had an upgrade, uniform wise.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

37 minutes ago, waltere said:

I'm totally with you on this. I think that set is awful all round and am constantly surprised by the amount of people who think it's only the helmets holding them back from a really good look.

Related note: IMO every time the Jags have changed uniform it's been a downgrade. I'm struggling to think of another team that has never had an upgrade, uniform wise.

Look above your post. That is what I think the Jaguars should of did.

41 minutes ago, waltere said:

IMO every time the Jags have changed uniform it's been a downgrade. I'm struggling to think of another team that has never had an upgrade, uniform wise.

It's been a steady road down for the Dolphins. You could persuasively argue each successive Falcons uniform has been worse than the one before it, Buccaneers, too, for that matter. Outside football, you have the Anaheim Ducks, who even with the D-foot as a primary and not the wordmark, have wacky layered side panels that make you appreciate the relative grace of the swoopy hemlines/cufflines before, which themselves were boring and made you appreciate the jade and eggplant more.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's been a steady road down for the Dolphins. You could persuasively argue each successive Falcons uniform has been worse than the one before it, Buccaneers, too, for that matter. Outside football, you have the Anaheim Ducks, who even with the D-foot as a primary and not the wordmark, have wacky layered side panels that make you appreciate the relative grace of the swoopy hemlines/cufflines before, which themselves were boring and made you appreciate the jade and eggplant more.

I wonder what jade and athletic gold would look like those? Those would be as beautiful as the guy's remade Jaguars mustard gold helmets and jade uniforms I posted from his blog just a few post up.

My dream would be if the Ravens just use black, white, and change the purple to an indigo color so that they can use the black and white a lot more with indigo being the second or accent color to help the black and white and just make mustard gold and red part of the logo instead of making it part of the uniform.

This is why the NFL uniforms of today sucks. No imagination to it to KEEP IT SIMPLE! A lot of creativity comes from keeping it simple and it works out afterwards.

What bothers me also is the fact that the Falcons and Buccaneers departed from their good uniform designs. I like the red helmet Falcons, if they went the Buffalo Bills route and had black jerseys along with the red helmets like their 1966 and 1967 incarnation, then that would of did the trick instead of that BFBS crap from 1990-1997 (sure I liked it, but Ganville had a morbid idea for the Falcons design and it lost most of it's old color). But when Reeves came in, he wanted to switch the black block to red block to give the Falcons 1997-2004 uniforms more color. But remember that Jamal Anderson dirty bird horrible helmet design? At least Anderson loved the red helmets though!

Then the Buccaneers should of awakened the Tampa Bay Bandits 1983-1985 look by creating the Ohio State type Northwestern piping on their helmets and kept the Pewter and ditch the orange and just made a uniform where the orange can work as an alt for the pewter or something for a color rush or pewter uniforms and red pants or some gross crap they can do with it, but right now their color rush uniforms work except for that stupid digital numbers and the black numbers with chrome and white trim just makes it look ugly. Plus why add chrome silver to the uniform design while pewter, red, black, and white work by itself because to me pewter looks like a metallic medium brown color and it works out. I mean it's like medium brown, scarlet red, black, and white which works out!!!

I put that in bold because I like to bury the Buccaneers for their horrible downgrade of uniforms and whenever I see the digital clock number blocks, I feel like saying, "WHAT TIME IS IT TAMPA BAY?"

To be honest, I think this was actually a pretty weak week, matchup-wise. I think I'd put Giants-Redskins and #1, though I'm not really a fan of the burgundy pants (much prefer the gold pants). Cowboys-Bears was decent looking, in spite of the mess that is the Cowboys' uniforms.

No uniform matchups I really liked this week though.

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Bucs 2000's uniforms were by far their best. much better than the creamsickles  

21 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Honestly surprised NY/WAS fell that far down the list, clicked this thread expecting it to be the winner... regardless, football season feels a lot more complete with this weekly thread, honestly.

What a nice thing to say. Thank you. I really appreciate it.

BB52Big.jpg

8 hours ago, dont care said:

The Bucs 2000's uniforms were by far their best. much better than the creamsickles  

Well to me the 1976-1996 and the 1997-2012 Tampa Bay unis were the best. Both are better than what they have on right now. If you think about it, the 1997-2012 look is much more superior than their 2013-current look.

When I look at Tampa Bay, I do see the metallic brown grey, scarlet red, black, and white. Adding orange or even chrome just makes the look even worse. :( Plus when they guy on his blog made an orange version of the uniforms, it made me wonder! :(

Archived