2016 MLB Post Season Thread

PittsburghSucks

On 10/23/2016 at 7:31 PM, infrared41 said:

You may have misread my post.  I never said the Browns "should" be viewed as a pale imitation. I don't feel that way at all. My point was simply that despite all my efforts, I was never able to connect to the "reborn" Browns in the same way that I connected with the...pre-dormant...I guess, version of the team. That's just the way it worked out for me. FWIW, I have no problem with Browns fans who don't feel the way I do. The truth is, I wish I didn't feel the way I feel about the Browns. I'd much prefer to be as big a Browns fan as I was before the team "suspended operations" in 1996. But I'm not.

No.  I may have used over-dramatic language.  I'm the kind of person who agonizes over getting the most precise choice of words just right, and kinda went over that phrase a couple times, but was tired and that was the best I came up with.  I understand your situation.  I disagree with your emotions from a place of reasoning, but that's not how emotions work.  I basically wanted to express that I disagree with you, but know that since one can scarcely decide how they feel deep inside, I know nothing I say is going to change that.  Just wanted to discuss for the sake of discourse and for whoever else is around with thoughts on the topic.

On 10/23/2016 at 9:30 PM, Cosmic said:

Ah, see, I'm a baseball novice. I just assumed they did best record before.

On 10/23/2016 at 9:46 PM, DiePerske said:

Nope, and it doesnt make sense in baseball. Baseball has only 20 interleague games a season, so a max of 40(i didnt take the time to calculate that it could be less than this, so went with 20+20) would be interleague. Less than 1/4 of the season doesnt give you an accurate representation of who is better.

Not to mention the main reason of the AL and NL historically being seprate leagues with no interleague at all, just isnt fair.

People complain enough now about the divisional system giving people who don't deserve a spot a spot in the playoff.  This would be an even bigger version of this, with your record being based on two very different criteria.  It's apples and oranges.  Best record in baseball is basically fun bragging rights with little actual meaning behind it.

On 10/23/2016 at 9:49 PM, FGM13 said:

The leagues are so close nowadays that they really should just do it best record. And quit it with the ridiculous 2-3-2 system.

What the heck do you want?  Any why?  Why would you want to overcomplicate the game setup for a series?  I don't think I've ever heard someone argue against 2-3-2, so I'm curious as to what complaints one would have.

On 10/24/2016 at 8:48 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Lol. They don't care. Neither do the managers, who (usually) put guys in just because they're there rather than stick with the top players for the whole game. If it "counted", they wouldn't need 30 + players on the roster. 

Maybe a good way to do it is to give HFA to the team with the better interleague record?

This has the same issue as the above.  With the rotating schedule, one team's gonna get the AL East to play against, while another's going to get the NL East.

Really, there is no right answer.  It's the same as the NCAA Football Playoff.  There will ALWAYS be controversy and complaints.

On 10/25/2016 at 10:43 AM, the admiral said:

Because the pitcher batting is baseball, not a past-rotten promotional stunt.

I wonder how you feel about the forward lateral.

18 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

2016- The year Cleveland sports fans became spoiled, entitlted, insufferable winners.

Don't worry.  This has as much chance of ending up like the Jets as it does the Red Sox.  Either way, they definitely deserve a little sunshine after all these years.

4 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

...and I thought Cleveland fans were negative. Holy crap, you lose ONE GAME and everyone is acting like the world is ending. 

Living in a market that contains the Mets, Jets, Knicks, and Nets, I can tell you neither have anything approaching a monopoly on that attitude.

As for what I think about the series, the Cubs really looked weak and the Indians looked strong in Game 1.  I remember watching Game 1 of the 2011 ALDS, where the Yankees beat the Tigers 9-3, and do you know what I thought?  I remembered back to the 2006 ALDS where the Yankees won Game 1 8-4 over the Tigers.  The Yankees were called "Murderer's Row Plus Cano" that year, and sports radio said the only thing that could stop the Mets and Yankees was each other.  Then the Yankees didn't win another game against the Tigers.  And do you know what happened in 2011?  They lost three of the next four and got bounced out again.  I knew then and I know now that you can't judge a thing on Game 1.  I've seen too many things.  I know better.  This series is still 100% up in the air.  Tonight is when we find out what the narrative is going to be: whether last night was a fluke or the Indians have the upper hand.

No matter who wins, though, holy crap FOX's opening video showed just how heartbreaking either team is gonna win.  Jeez, FOX.  That's rough.

On the lighter side, I was surprised that no one's posted the video of Drew Carey shouting "WHO'S BASEBALL TEAM SUCKS NOW, WORLD?!?!", but it doesn't seem to be on YouTube.  Shame.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2-3-2 system favours the road team, who get three consecutive games with home field advantage. I know it's probably never gonna go away, just because of travel concerns, but I like the 2-2-1-1-1 system much much more. 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

22 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

The 2-3-2 system favours the road team, who get three consecutive games with home field advantage. I know it's probably never gonna go away, just because of travel concerns, but I like the 2-2-1-1-1 system much much more. 

This would carry more weight if teams had the ability to determine home-field advantage in the World Series throughout the season.

39 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

No.  I may have used over-dramatic language.  I'm the kind of person who agonizes over getting the most precise choice of words just right, and kinda went over that phrase a couple times, but was tired and that was the best I came up with.  I understand your situation.  I disagree with your emotions from a place of reasoning, but that's not how emotions work.

FWIW, from a place of reasoning, I disagree with my emotions too. But as I said, I can't get my heart to follow my head. B)

BB52Big.jpg

23 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

I disagree that it's an advantage for the road team. I think it's the most equitable way to handle a series where the teams themselves can't control their home field destiny. In a 2-2-1-1-1 the home team gets 3 out of the 4 pivotal games (games 1, 5, 7) and the two most important (5 and 7) where the road team only gets one (game 3). In a 2-3-2 both teams get 2 of those, but I'd still rather be the home team who gets to start at home and gets the final deciding game at home. 

It was a bad format for the NBA finals and I'm glad they did away with it, but it works for baseball because it eliminates an off day and baseball requires as few off days as possible.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Whoever's blowing the whistle in the stands needs to be ejected.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Not looking good for the Tribe tonight. Arrietta mowing us down with ease. We're going to have a series after all.

As for the 2-3-2 format, it works for baseball, because baseball is a season consisting of 2, 3, and sometimes 4 game series. No 1 game series.

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

13 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Whoever's blowing the whistle in the stands needs to be ejected.

If I were the kid from "It's a Good Life," the cornfield would have the whistler, the LACKEEEEY YOU CAN HEEEAAAR MEEEEE guy, and Larry King.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Mad respect for Schwarber tonight. He looks like he hasn't missed a single beat, which given the obvious and well-stated circumstances is mind-blowing. He's seeing the ball much, much better than I had expected him to.

I expected the Cubs to bounce back tonight and make this a series. I figured once they got worked in a little that they'd play better like they are now. I'm still also expecting this to go back and forth all the way to game 7. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

20 minutes ago, EvilChameleon said:

No no-hitter or shutout tonight. Little victories.

Honestly, I'm amazed this game is still as close as it is. Also, no idea why, but losing 5-1 doesn't seem nearly as bad to me as losing 5-0 does.

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

Honestly, I'm amazed this game is still as close as it is. Also, no idea why, but losing 5-1 doesn't seem nearly as bad to me as losing 5-0 does.

Clarify:  So if this game is rained out tonight will they resume it tomorrow?  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

13 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Clarify:  So if this game is rained out tonight will they resume it tomorrow?  

Yes. All WS games go 9 innings.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Too tired to address the 2-3-2 thing, but on the game at hand, this is going about how I expected.  Hopefully now people will get off the ledges.

Question I had yesterday too.  I know that there's no out of town games, but can't they put SOMETHING on that giant board that takes up an entire wall?  It looks weird, like something's missing, like there's just a giant black hole there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Question I had yesterday too.  I know that there's no out of town games, but can't they put SOMETHING on that giant board that takes up an entire wall?  It looks weird, like something's missing, like there's just a giant black hole there.

Apparently it's been turned off the entire postseason during games due to the fact that it attracts midges. Which I find hilarious, since every other source of light in the ballpark does the exact same thing, and you can't turn everything off.

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

5 minutes ago, EvilChameleon said:

Apparently it's been turned off the entire postseason during games due to the fact that it attracts midges. Which I find hilarious, since every other source of light in the ballpark does the exact same thing, and you can't turn everything off.

Oh, SCREW YOU!!! (Cleveland, not you, EC)

Really, Cleveland?  Now you're going to do this?  After everything, now you're doing this?  Are you worried you're going to be the ones getting screwed this time?  I'd think with the superstition surrounding the Cubs you'd LOVE attracting as many tiny devils to do your dirty work.

*heavy breaths*  I... may have some issues I haven't dealt with.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived