NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, keynote said:

Oh no, the wordmark *and* numbers are at an angle?  <_<  I'm sure they'll come up with some Nikespeak about how the angle matches the angle surveyed by Benjamin Banneker, or some such.  EDIT:  oh, it might just be the odd angle of the jersey in the photo.

Meanwhile, I (still) challenge the board to find an NBA jersey in history with more letters on the front.  I don't care how small they made the font; that word mark is too busy.

I'm like the only person who likes it.  But just say NO to same-color numbers.  And if you're only going to dot one i with a basketball, what's the point?

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

3 minutes ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

I'm like the only person who likes it.  But just say NO to same-color numbers.  And if you're only going to dot one i with a basketball, what's the point?

As I said in a later post, it's growing on me a bit.  As for the same-color #s:  I'm hoping that the beveled details will improve legibility.  We'll see.  It's gotta be better than the Raptors' black-on-black #s with a thin gold outline.

Just now, keynote said:

As I said in a later post, it's growing on me a bit.  As for the same-color #s:  I'm hoping that the beveled details will improve legibility.  We'll see.  It's gotta be better than the Raptors' black-on-black #s with a thin gold outline.

Wait...it's beveled?  I didn't know that.  The enemy (beveling) of my enemy (same-color letters/numbers) is not necessarily my friend.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

2 minutes ago, Teal said:

Is there a set online release date for the city sets? I can’t find anything on NDC.

No timeline yet in stone.. But I'm hearing they are all available for Preorder today. Knicks, Houston and Raptors won't be released until 2018 according to the Nike link earlier.

shado_logo.gif

8 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I understand the concept behind Utah's...but this has gotta be one of the most extreme changes as far as colors for an alternate. Blue/Green heavy scheme to a red/orange/yellow alt?

Also- could this be the door (slowly) opening for a Clippers' return to the old colors?

I don't think you can read anything into these uniforms as for how they relate to the overall branding and aesthetics of the respective franchises.  They're "special".  They're "off brand".  That's their point.  The Bulls aren't become a red, white, black, and baby blue team.  They're celebrating Chicago with a special uniform using the colors of the city flag.  That's it.  

Same with Utah.  The colors come from the mountains and the desert.  They're still navy, green, and gold and their defining logo is a music note. 

The Clippers aren't returning to their old colors, they're paying tribute to them. 

This is all very new for the NBA.  It's not how alternate jerseys used to work.  It's not something fans have experienced before so it seems super weird.  It'll take some getting used to, but I think it's here to stay.  There are only so many permutations of the traditional uniforms you can make and sell before you dip into "fashion uniforms".  Now "fashion uniforms" are being worn on court.  Personally, I love it. 

I just hope these don't stick around for more than a season or two or they risk becoming part of the franchise's brand, and that would be bad.  

From Nike website:

"Proud residents of Oakland, the Warriors have represented the entire Bay Area since their arrival on the West Coast in 1962. The Warriors relocation coincided with the birth of San Francisco’s Chinatown, a population that brought diversity to the city and quickly grew in size and impact"

How did the Warriors arrival coincide with the birth of Chinatown...in the 1800's?

1 hour ago, Duck_Duck said:

I don't think you can read anything into these uniforms as for how they relate to the overall branding and aesthetics of the respective franchises.  They're "special".  They're "off brand".  That's their point.  The Bulls aren't becoming a red, white, black, and baby blue team.  They're celebrating Chicago with a special uniform using the colors of the city flag.  That's it.  

Same with Utah.  The colors come from the mountains and the desert.  They're still navy, green, and gold and their defining logo is a music note. 

The Clippers aren't returning to their old colors, they're paying tribute to them. 

This is all very new for the NBA.  It's not how alternate jerseys used to work.  It's not something fans have experienced before so it seems super weird.  It'll take some getting used to, but I think it's here to stay.  There are only so many permutations of the traditional uniforms you can make and sell before you dip into "fashion uniforms".  Now "fashion uniforms" are being worn on court.  Personally, I love it. 

I just hope these don't stick around for more than a season or two or they risk becoming part of the franchise's brand, and that would be bad.  

I have no inside info but it wouldn't shock me if this were a trial balloon for light blue. The Bulls have added more Chicago imagery to their apparel, brought the four stars to the court and the waistband and now this.

The Bulls’ City uniforms are getting serious love and it wouldn't stun me if they incorporate a smidge of light blue into their regular look in the near future. 

14 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I'm actually thinking the pattern is a nod to the "Guardians of Traffic" art deco statues located in downtown Cleveland near the Q. Not only do they have the same pattern, they have the same pointed top as the jersey stripes.

"The Guardians of Transportation," but yes, that is the pattern that runs down the center of each figure. I've seen outsiders try to argue that this is too esoteric to be featured on a uniform, but I can assure you it's not. Those statues, to a Clevelander, are likely the most well-known artistic landmark in the region. Would be a great motif for the Indians to adopt.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The Bulls shouldn't wear colors other than red, white, and black.

Usually I would agree with this. But they sold me with the beautiful Chicago flag inspired uniforms. I'm totally fine with this one-off.

Archived