NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, if the Wizards want to dress up as the Smithsonian for some reason or whatever, fine, but the Chicago Bulls are a global brand that can stand on its own without this gimmickry. The Bulls should always look as they did when the greatest player of all time was there. It's that simple.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well then "City Editions" sound pretty G-ddamn stupid.

I’m kinda torn on the whole thing. I don’t think these need to exist in the first place, especially not in an on-court capacity, but I also think it’s fun to have a temporary canvas to try a new idea every year without having to commit to cluttering up or changing your primary look.

If these are going to exist, though, I think Chicago did it the right way. 

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Look, if the Wizards want to dress up as the Smithsonian for some reason or whatever, fine, but the Chicago Bulls are a global brand that can stand on its own without this gimmickry. The Bulls should always look as they did when the greatest player of all time was there. It's that simple.

lol. Bulls are going to participate like every other team. They're not special. Jordan played for the Wizards too. So what? Get over it...

1 hour ago, daveindc said:

Most of us know what the Chicago flag is, and my post wasn't meant to explain it. It was to provide a visual as to why they went with what they did, because people still seem not to understand the concept of "City Edition". It has nothing to do with the team's brand.

Saying they shouldn't wear anything other than red and black is completely missing the point of these uniforms that the whole league is wearing. It ain't that serious.

It's a long season, not sure why people are upset about trying to break up the staleness lol. Hey, at least they aren't wearing these anymore..

Jimmy+Butler+Chicago+Bulls+v+Cleveland+C

3 minutes ago, 1stAndPhoremost said:

...am I understanding correctly that these city jerseys WILL change year-to-year?

FIFY

But, as mentioned in the ESPN article about the Jazz's red rock jerseys, the Jazz are trying to work with the league and Nike to keep their jersey an extra year.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21868878/zach-lowe-utah-jazz-new-nike-jerseys-featuring-delicate-arch-nba

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

43 minutes ago, daveindc said:

lol. Bulls are going to participate like every other team. They're not special. Jordan played for the Wizards too. So what? Get over it...

Haha, that's what I was thinking, too.  Of all of the non-Bulls teams he could have used to make his point about the Bulls should supposedly NEVER stray from what they wore when Jordan played there, he chose the ONE other team that Jordan played for and said that they could be as gimmicky as they want.  That's funny.

This isn't 1996.  As a franchise, outside of Chicago, the Bulls aren't really relevant to anything, at all. Their relevance lasted for less than a decade, many current NBA fans are too young to remember the Bulls ever being good.  As a franchise, they aren't that special, and they shouldn't be making uniform decisions because of one player who has been retired for nearly 15 years.  

I would imagine that this Chicago jersey with the light blue will sell well, at least in Chicago.  We'll see.

2 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

As a franchise, outside of Chicago, the Bulls aren't really relevant to anything, at all. Their relevance lasted for less than a decade, many current NBA fans are too young to remember the Bulls ever being good.  As a franchise, they aren't that special, and they shouldn't be making uniform decisions because of one player who has been retired for nearly 15 years.

Astonishingly dumb opinion here.

Yeah, Jordan's stuff has been a top seller for years and today's freshmen in college weren't even alive for the second three-peat. But yes, the Jordan dynasty was irrelevant.

A few of my thoughts on the City Edition jerseys ...

• I like the bold nature of the jerseys. 
  • As mentioned in some articles, this is the team's chance to go off brand each year -- i.e.-Jazz, Bulls, Mavs, Heat, etc.
  • Some teams embraced the spirit of the jersey (Grizzlies, Jazz, Heat, Blazers, etc.), some teams mailed it in (Suns, Wolves, Spurs, Pistons, etc.) and some teams I'm not sure understood what the fourth jerseys were suppose to be about (Magic, Thunder, Kings, etc.)
  • I find it interesting that the Lakers are going to celebrate legendary players with their fourth jersey instead of the city as other teams. I wonder if we'll see other teams eventually embrace something similar?
  • With teams like the Jazz wanting to wear their red rock jerseys next year as well, I wonder what that will do to the system Nike has kind of created with the Statement (switching out every two years) and City (switching out every year)? Would the NBA make exceptions? Will we see a 5th or 6th jersey in a team's rotation eventually?
  • I'd love to see a bit more boldness and "off-branding" from some teams next year -- 76ers, Rockets, Spurs, Suns, Wolves, etc.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Black with black numbers for a team who's colors are purple and teal?  Strike 1.

"Buzz City"?  Strike 2.  

"Swarm"  Strike 3.  Theyyyyyyyyyyre OUT.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, Shadojoker said:

Black on black coupled with that stupid gradient...exactly what a teenager would call "hip" and "cool".  I say:  UGLY.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

The Bulls, despite recent results, are one of the few teams with true "iconic" looks in American sports.  They're synonymous with red and black, and should never dilute the brand by wearing anything else.  I know there's the Bears, and the Cubs, but when I think of Chicago, the first colors that pop into my mind are red and black.  If I was the White Sox, I'd adopt red trim just to take advantage of any perceived association.

The only "alt' jerseys the Bulls need is the Chicago script jersey (that script is just too nice to go unused).  Let it be whatever color you want, as long as you want either red, black, or white.

Oh - and WHATEVER THE F THEY DO THEY SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER GET RID OF THE DIAMONDS ON THE SIDES OF THEIR SHORTS.  That's so uniquely theirs they're reached "untouchable" status IMO.  Just another reason why IMO those stupid-ass pinstripe uniforms were the worst.  I can't believe nobody there thought they should use that element.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Their black jersey with the Chicago script and offset front number all done in two-layer red-on-white would be an ideal alternate look.

As for the snide children in this thread: Were it not for three franchises, the NBA would be battling the NHL for airtime on some schlubby second-tier network. The Bulls are one of those franchises. The arguments downplaying Michael Jordan are beneath me addressing.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, SCalderwood said:

Haha, that's what I was thinking, too.  Of all of the non-Bulls teams he could have used to make his point about the Bulls should supposedly NEVER stray from what they wore when Jordan played there, he chose the ONE other team that Jordan played for and said that they could be as gimmicky as they want.  That's funny.

This isn't 1996.  As a franchise, outside of Chicago, the Bulls aren't really relevant to anything, at all. Their relevance lasted for less than a decade, many current NBA fans are too young to remember the Bulls ever being good.  As a franchise, they aren't that special, and they shouldn't be making uniform decisions because of one player who has been retired for nearly 15 years.  

I would imagine that this Chicago jersey with the light blue will sell well, at least in Chicago.  We'll see.

I’m sorry, but no. The Bulls are, with the Celtics and Lakers, still top 3 team in brand recognition for the NBA. I’d wager they might actually be higher than the Celtics internationally. 

However, that doesn’t mean they can’t meddle with light blue for 4 games a season. The Bulls look will still be immediately recognizable for 90% of the year.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived