NLL new logo

YelichGraphics

I think we'll see a variation of the "3D" logo that was used in the 30th anniversary logo and, if memory serves, something similar was used when the NLL played exhibition games in Australia.

lg20151113-4160.jpg

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Whoops, missed this on page 2. Sorry.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 4.48.13 PM.png

Seems like it will change colours based on teams

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 4.47.26 PM.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I don't like it. 

Very boring. 

......and why the star?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Here's the announcement on the league Web site, which has a surprisingly detailed breakdown of the new logo design.

Not what I expected, and it doesn't exactly scream "box lacrosse", but then again MLS's logo doesn't exactly scream "soccer" either and yet it's grown on me. Given the second-year commissioner's MLS background I'm not surprised they went the same route (complete with the custom-color option).

CCSLC signature.png

Here are the nine team-colorized variants of the logo.

• Top row: Rochester Knighthawks, Vancouver Stealth, Calgary Roughnecks
  • Middle row: Georgia Swarm, Buffalo Bandits, Toronto Rock
  • Bottom row: Saskatchewan Rush, Colorado Mammoth, New England Black Wolves

NLL.jpg

CCSLC signature.png

This is abysmal. Terrible move for the league. In a sport where it is already relatively unknown, don't eliminate all elements of the sport from the logo. You're trying to grow the game, not treat it as a luxury brand or an automobile manufacturer that typically has the brand awareness. I love lacrosse but the NLL just makes me sad with all their decisions.

On 12/18/2016 at 9:49 AM, nickp91 said:

the league's new logo, which features one prong of a silver star for each of the NLL's inaugural franchises in Philly, Baltimore, New Jersey and Washington.

. . . none of whom still exist.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

8 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Well, Technically Philly is New England now (which is a crying shame) and Baltimore is Colorado but I do get what you mean; it's certainly not something they should be pointing out. 

26 minutes ago, Steve-O said:

This is abysmal. Terrible move for the league. In a sport where it is already relatively unknown, don't eliminate all elements of the sport from the logo. You're trying to grow the game, not treat it as a luxury brand or an automobile manufacturer that typically has the brand awareness. I love lacrosse but the NLL just makes me sad with all their decisions.

I feel the same way about the logo. Nothing about it says lacrosse. For someone who doesn't know about this league and sees this logo they will have no idea what it's for. 

1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:
1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

On 12/18/2016 at 9:49 AM, nickp91 said:

the league's new logo, which features one prong of a silver star for each of the NLL's inaugural franchises in Philly, Baltimore, New Jersey and Washington.

Well, Technically Philly is New England now (which is a crying shame)...

You're right about that!  The Philadelphia Wings had a great logo.

Image result for philadelphia nll

...and Baltimore is Colorado but I do get what you mean; it's certainly not something they should be pointing out. 

1 hour ago, Steve-O said:

I feel the same way about the logo. Nothing about it says lacrosse. For someone who doesn't know about this league and sees this logo they will have no idea what it's for. 

I have no problem with the four-pointed star.  While I think the nod to the league's original four teams is good, I would like the new logo even if the star had no symbolism behind it.

The logo doesn't have to explicitly explain what sport it's from.  The old logo had a running lacrosse player, in a style obviously derivative of the NBA logo; yet it was amateurish and cheap-looking.  This new one is sleek and dignified; so I'd call it a huge upgrade.

And, again, explaining what sport it's from is a non-issue.  The new crest of the U.S. Soccer Federation has no soccer ball in it; and it looks very sharp, far superior to its cheesy predecessor which did goofily incorporate a flying soccer ball.  Likewise, this new NLL logo is clean and sharp; and it will look great on a hat or on a polo shirt.

But I don't like the fact that it comes only in colour variants that match the various teams' colours.  MLS does this, too.  The league's logo should have its own colour scheme.

The Major League Baseball logo is presented in team colours; but we all know that that logo possesses its own colour scheme.  The MLS and NLL logos don't have a primary colour scheme; and I think that that factor weakens what are otherwise good logos.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I have no problem with the four-pointed star.  While I think the nod to the league's original four teams is good, I would like the new logo even if the star had no symbolism behind it.

The logo doesn't have to explicitly explain what sport it's from.  The old logo had a running lacrosse player, in a style obviously derivative of the NBA logo; yet it was amateurish and cheap-looking.  This new one is sleek and dignified; so I'd call it a huge upgrade.

And, again, explaining what sport it's from is a non-issue.  The new crest of the U.S. Soccer Federation has no soccer ball in it; and it looks very sharp, far superior to its cheesy predecessor which did goofily incorporate a flying soccer ball.  Likewise, this new NLL logo is clean and sharp; and it will look great on a hat or on a polo shirt.

But I don't like the fact that it comes only in colour variants that match the various teams' colours.  MLS does this, too.  The league's logo should have its own colour scheme.

The Major League Baseball logo is presented in team colours; but we all know that that logo possesses its own colour scheme.  The MLS and NLL logos don't have a primary colour scheme; and I think that that factor weakens what are otherwise good logos.

I agree with everything you are saying, yet still I think my point remains. I know, I'm contradicting myself. Let me explain:

Being a very big lacrosse fan I am well aware of the standing of the NLL. If not continent-wide, at least locally in Toronto. I have to explain, on a fairly regular basis, what a "Toronto Rock" is. 

MLS, the other league who went this way, is well known. I think they can get away with it. 

I also dislike pointing to the 4 original teams because 2 are no longer active and the other 2 have relocated as well as; Of the 4 original teams on 2 of them played in the National Lacrosse League when that name was adopted. But I realize that is nit-picking. If they wanted to have the 4 point star as an element I would live with it. 

End of day, my only point is: this league isn't well known enough to do this. I'm not saying it needs to have a silhouette like it was before but there has to be some element to make you think "oh, this has something to do with lacrosse". 

Also, yes, The wings had a great logo! I hope that logo returns one day. 

To echo what some have said, I'll put this in the same category I did Vegas. I likebthe logo, in a vaccuum. For the intended use, I feel like it's too generic, and could be used by any other institution with the initials NLL.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived