Jump to content

USA-Mexico-Canada Joint Bid for 2026 World Cup


dfwabel
 Share

Recommended Posts

US, Mexico and Canada joint bid for 2026 World Cup?

 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/06/us-canada-mexico-joint-world-cup-bid-2026

 

Quote

“Canada, the US and Mexico are aiming for a joint bid, the idea has been around for a while, discussions are continuing and it is a very exciting proposition if it comes to fruition,” Montagliani said. “We have had nothing but positive remarks about it and it is a very strong sign of what football can do to bring countries together.”

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

All 3 host countries would play their games in their country, no? Because if the USMNT had to play in Azteca, regardless of opponent things would get rough.

Good question. I assumed the home teams would only play in their home country when reading the article.  Don't know why. It didn't say so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

All 3 host countries would play their games in their country, no? Because if the USMNT had to play in Azteca, regardless of opponent things would get rough.

 

3 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Good question. I assumed the home teams would only play in their home country when reading the article.  Don't know why. It didn't say so. 

The 2026 World Cup looks to be the first 48 team tournament, so 16 nations within the three host nations could be possible.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Way to early thoughts for 2026.

 

Canada: Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver, Montreal (50 year old Stade Olympic)...Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa are hard to realize due to capacity.

USA: Just name your 8-12 venues

Mexico: Azteca, Chivas, Monterrey are the main three due to bring modern

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of the newest NFL stadiums were built to be converted rather easily for World Cup specifications. Between LA's new stadium, AT&T Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, MetLife Stadium, Hard Rock Stadium, Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta), Gillette Stadium, and then throw in one of probably Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, Cleveland, Denver, or Glendale AZ and you've got eight stadiums ready to go without any renovations or construction.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Way to early thoughts for 2026.

 

Canada: Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver, Montreal (50 year old Stade Olympic)...Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa are hard to realize due to capacity.

USA: Just name your 8-12 venues

Mexico: Azteca, Chivas, Monterrey are the main three due to bring modern

CMNT probably won't even qualify, & there likely wouldn't be an automatic invite if we're still out of the top 100.

As for hosting, I'd say Vancouver, Toronto, & maybe Montreal.  Not sure about Edmonton even with the seating, the stadium will be all the older by then.  

 

re. Hamilton, I went to the Pan Am gold medal final there & it felt pretty alright. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Most of the newest NFL stadiums were built to be converted rather easily for World Cup specifications. Between LA's new stadium, AT&T Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, MetLife Stadium, Hard Rock Stadium, Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta), Gillette Stadium, and then throw in one of probably Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, Cleveland, Denver, or Glendale AZ and you've got eight stadiums ready to go without any renovations or construction.

 

Without renovations? Over half of the US Stadiums you mention are currently artificial turf surfaces, which would have to be removed and replaced with grass in order to be eligible for a World Cup site: LA's new stadium, AT&T, Lucas Oil, MetLife, Mercedes-Benz, Gillette, Minneapolis. and Detroit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, B-Rich said:

 

Without renovations? Over half of the US Stadiums you mention are currently artificial turf surfaces, which would have to be removed and replaced with grass in order to be eligible for a World Cup site: LA's new stadium, AT&T, Lucas Oil, MetLife, Mercedes-Benz, Gillette, Minneapolis. and Detroit.

Not a big deal.  They'll bring in temporary grass into these domed venues.  The last few soccer games played in the Georgia Dome were played on grass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, B-Rich said:

 

Without renovations? Over half of the US Stadiums you mention are currently artificial turf surfaces, which would have to be removed and replaced with grass in order to be eligible for a World Cup site: LA's new stadium, AT&T, Lucas Oil, MetLife, Mercedes-Benz, Gillette, Minneapolis. and Detroit.

 

9 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Not a big deal.  They'll bring in temporary grass into these domed venues.  The last few soccer games played in the Georgia Dome were played on grass.

 

They also brought grass to the Silverdome for the World Cup in 1994.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or they can just play all on turf like they made the ladies. This won't happen though. If they take care of the grass properly it's easy to pull off in places like Dallas and Houston. In fact if United vs City is played there or in Austin this summer it will most definitely be on grass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't call putting down trays of real grass the way Reliant/NRG Stadium did 'renovations'. That's just doing the field for the game. I mean, actual structural work to either make the fields fit or to outright have to build a new venue the way most of these World Cup hosts have done in the past with Japan/South Korea, Brazil, or even Germany and their building boom.

 

Some stadiums today are even built with movable seating sections to handle tighter corners. Some are purpose built to be easily demoed to create wider corners for areas. And some are just built wide enough to handle WC standards. These aren't the days of the 55-60 yard wide fields at NFL venues. There's room now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My take on the 2026 the North American Treble Bid:

 

Canada - Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver

Mexico - Azteca, Monterrey, and Chivas

US - Rose Bowl, Rams' New Digs, Met Life, Chicago, Jerry World, UPhoenix Stadium, Houston, and Miami or Orlando or Tampa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

I wonder where the final would take place? I'd assume somewhere in the US, but I would love to see Mexico get it.

 

In fairness, it has to be the center of all three countries combined.

 

So... somewhere on the Nebraska/Kansas border.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

I wonder where the final would take place? I'd assume somewhere in the US, but I would love to see Mexico get it.

 

I think the only options would be Azteca, Citi Field or, unfortunately, Lego Stadium.

 

A joint bid would almost certainly bypass Seattle (presumably in favor of Vancouver) and that really bums me out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.