USA-Mexico-Canada Joint Bid for 2026 World Cup

dfwabel

If he was put on the spot, Donald Trump probably couldn’t tell you what the World Cup is. He certainly won’t care if the U.S. doesn’t receive the bid, but the moment it’s awarded to us, he’ll jump to take credit for something he didn’t have a damn thing to do with. 

I’d be willing to sit through a few more asinine tweets for World Cup matches to be within driving distance of home. 

PJU85JF.png

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 8:41 PM, MJWalker45 said:

With 2026 being the first with 48 teams, smaller nations will have to be pretty damn creative to find the needed space for all of those teams. 

Indeed. If Morocco wins, I wonder what they’ll do.

"Hi, everybody!" - Dr. Nick Riviera

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

Is the list of cities in the us bid final, or strill being whittled down? A few surprised me.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is the list of cities in the us bid final, or strill being whittled down? A few surprised me.  

A couple of the 23 have dropped oit because they don't want to have to follow Swiss contract law

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, waj287 said:

Indeed. If Morocco wins, I wonder what they’ll do.

A third of the games will be played in the Western Sahara to force the world to support their imperial ambitions.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Morrocco's bid calls for a budget of at least $3 billion for stadium improvements and building alone. Sounds like Jack Warner will be kicking Chuck Blazer's cats for not being able to get in on that.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Apparently FIFA made it possible to give the 2026 World Cup to England, (or most likely China)!

VOTING DAY

There might not even be a 2026 World Cup host chosen on June 13 in Moscow.

FIFA has given its 200-plus member federations a clear path in the formal voting procedure to reject both current bids.

On the ballot paper there will be another option: "None of the Bids — Reopen Bidding Process."

If the rejection option wins, a new process lasting months or even years would begin — excluding the United States, Canada, Mexico and Morocco. This would let European and Asian bidders enter a race they are currently barred from because Russia and Qatar host the two previous World Cups. China could then join the contest.

A first-round winner will be declared if it gets a simple majority, more than 50 percent, of valid votes. Abstentions do not count.

If there is no majority in the first round, but the North American and Morocco bids combine to have more votes than the rejection option, they will advance to a second round where a simple majority wins.

In the ballot paper wording published Monday by FIFA, the word "America" is not used. It is the "joint bid submitted by the CSA, FEMEXFUT and the USSF ('United Bid')."

Voting will be quick and electronic, and FIFA will publish member federations' picks when the meeting closes.

ALSO: Morroco using lesser chance of gun violence as an advantage but overlooks hooliganism in the stadiums.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2018/03/26/morocco-touts-gun-safety-in-2026-world-cup-bid-against-us/33290417/

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 months later...

Despite Donald Trump's best efforts, the North America joint bid wins.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Despite Donald Trump's best efforts, the North America joint bid wins.

Oh, he’ll take credit for it anyway.

But at least we can all agree the vote will be a referendum on Hope Solo, and when her campaign to kill the bid fails maybe she’ll finally go away.  ? 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Oh, he’ll take credit for it anyway.

But at least we can all agree the vote will be a referendum on Hope Solo, and when her campaign to kill the bid fails maybe she’ll finally go away.  ? 

We could only Hope! Hahahahahahaha!!!!

What this really means is the nations looked at the bigger payday in 8 years instead of a quick one now. And I can plan on taking my daughter to the World Cup!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

35 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

We could only Hope! Hahahahahahaha!!!!

I see what you did there, lol. 

I was starting to get worried this wouldn't happen. Seemed, to me anyways, that it was a no-brainer but that the last few weeks there were a number of countries saying they would vote for Morocco. I even saw a few soft counts at 26-24 for Morocco as recent as last week.

Whatever! If I get to see Canada play in a World Cup game (I'm not sure what country will get the automatic in just for hosting in this scenario, has that been announced? If it has I missed it) I can die a happy man. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I'm curious about the auto bid.  There's no way they are giving three out.  Will there be none?  Or maybe an auto to the top-ranked of the three countries?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

9 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I'm not sure what country will get the automatic in just for hosting in this scenario, has that been announced?

The status of automatic bids for the 2026 World Cup has not yet been determined. That said, the only other time that more than one nation hosted the World Cup - in 2002, when Japan and South Korea jointly played host - both countries received automatic entry into the tournament. Further, with the 2026 World Cup scheduled to be the first contested by 48 nations, it may be a bit easier for FIFA to justify awarding automatic bids to all three hosts countries, as there will still be 45 other slots available through qualifying.

In any event, the subject of automatic bids for the 2026 World Cup is likely to be taken up at the next FIFA Congress, which is set to take place on June 5, 2019.  

6 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I'm curious about the auto bid.  There's no way they are giving three out.  Will there be none?  Or maybe an auto to the top-ranked of the three countries?

19 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

I see what you did there, lol. 

I was starting to get worried this wouldn't happen. Seemed, to me anyways, that it was a no-brainer but that the last few weeks there were a number of countries saying they would vote for Morocco. I even saw a few soft counts at 26-24 for Morocco as recent as last week.

Whatever! If I get to see Canada play in a World Cup game (I'm not sure what country will get the automatic in just for hosting in this scenario, has that been announced? If it has I missed it) I can die a happy man. 

South Korea/Japan was a joint bid and both got in. With 48 teams playing from 2026 on I'd expect to see more joint bids in the future as maybe the USA, China, India, Germany, England and France have the space or infrastructure to support that many teams alone. I was afraid of most countries saying no to both and giving it to China, who will probably be fighting with England now for the 2030 World Cup. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! Speaking as a Canadian, maybe in 8 years, our men's team will deserve it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, for the record, I think granting a host team an automatic bid is unfair.

I was disappointed to see that I live nowhere near any of the sites.  Then I was disappointed to realize how old I'll be...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I was disappointed to see that I live nowhere near any of the sites.  Then I was disappointed to realize how old I'll be...

Was Chicago being cut known before today? Cincinnati's left as the only potential host site in the Great Lakes, so I'd imagine they'll be hosting games.

6fQjS3M.png

4 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

Was Chicago being cut known before today? Cincinnati's left as the only potential host site in the Great Lakes, so I'd imagine they'll be hosting games.

I think they'll take Kansas City over Cincinnati. Since US Soccer headquarters are in Chicago I'm surprised to see them come off the list. I'm also surprised BC Place won't be considered but Olympic Stadium is in. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived