Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

On each wing, I am seeing "GOD."  You have what looks like a backwards "D", a dot, and then a frontwards "D." The little notch in the backwards "D" makes it look like a G.  It did not hit me right away, but once it did...

(Maybe that would happen to literally nobody else) 

I saw the same thing.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I like the Pilots idea, with Flyers and Jets, it seems like aviation is a bit packed in the NHL. Let's get a Navy theme going, build on that, and have it be something better than Ice Breakerz. 

I think there's something to a submarine theme. Unsung heroes, tough people, impressive job, good iconography...should be easy. But I don't think I've seen more than a minor league baseball team in Connecticut. Really needs to be explored more.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Pilots would be my preferred choice. "But what about the MLB Seattle Pilots?", some weenie will inevitably retort. STFU, nerd. The Seattle Pilots were a team for one year over 40 years ago. The Colorado Rockies were an NHL team for 6 and a major league team used the name only 11 years later. There's precedent in sports. 

Other team names I could get behind: 

- Metropolitans or the Mets, Metros whatever. Historical ties and what not. 

- Thunderbirds. Team is currently keeping the Hartford Whalers template alive, though I assume they'd change the unis and logo for an NHL team. But I like the name

- Seals. alliterative which Seattle seems to like with the Seahawks and Sounders and Supersonics, was used once before in the league, and Seattle has Seals all over the place. 

Sea-Lions-Seattle-048.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Pilots would be my preferred choice. "But what about the MLB Seattle Pilots?", some weenie will inevitably retort. STFU, nerd. The Seattle Pilots were a team for one year over 40 years ago. The Colorado Rockies were an NHL team for 6 and a major league team used the name only 11 years later. There's precedent in sports. 

Other team names I could get behind: 

- Metropolitans or the Mets, Metros whatever. Historical ties and what not. 

- Thunderbirds. Team is currently keeping the Hartford Whalers template alive, though I assume they'd change the unis and logo for an NHL team. But I like the name

- Seals. alliterative which Seattle seems to like with the Seahawks and Sounders and Supersonics, was used once before in the league, and Seattle has 

I've grown up with the T-Birds. I love the name and the now classic crest here. Would love to see the crest on a green jersey- keeping a similar color scheme, blue and green, but green more emphasized to differentiate them from the Canucks.

Seattle Grunge Wolverines

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

- Seals. alliterative which Seattle seems to like with the Seahawks and Sounders and Supersonics, was used once before in the league, and Seattle has Seals all over the place. 

I like the sound of Seattle Seals...though when the team to the north features a killer whale, and the team to the south features a shark, I'm not sure it'll pass.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

46 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

For the record, those are sea lions, not seals. Note the visible ear flaps.

And I think "Seattle Sea Lions" or just "Seattle Lions" would make for a good name. Could still utilize that dark Seahawk navy and maybe bring back the Preds' old shimmery silver fabric? (Wishful thinking from my childhood.)

36 minutes ago, cubsfan2015 said:

I think the Metropolitans need to return if the NHL gives Seattle a team. It's a nice name, and the old Metropolitans almost won a Stanley Cup. I just love that name for some reason.

Not almost...they in fact, did win it.

I don't think the name needs to come back.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

30 minutes ago, cubsfan2015 said:

I think the Metropolitans need to return if the NHL gives Seattle a team. It's a nice name, and the old Metropolitans almost won a Stanley Cup. I just love that name for some reason.

No, they did win the Cup. The first American team to pull it off. That's why there are people eager to see the name return. It's one with a bit of historical cache to it.

1 hour ago, BrianLion said:

Seals isn't bad, but Seattle Sea Lions flows a little better off the tongue

Agreed. Sea Lions just sounds a bit more grand as well. Almost regal. I have to say. "Seattle Sea Lions" is the only "original" name I've heard that I can get behind. 

"Pilots" is great in a vacuum, but this is a league that already has the Jets and the Flyers, as hockey week said. 

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I'm pretty sure the Milwaukee Brewers own the trademarks to "Seattle Pilots"

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

No, they did win the Cup. The first American team to pull it off. That's why there are people eager to see the name return. It's one with a bit of historical cache to it.

Ah sorry. I thought their only time in the Stanley Cup Finals was in the flu-stricken 1919 Finals. 

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

Archived