Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

26 minutes ago, BeaverSports said:

How about Seattle Cranes? You can tap into the Frasier fan base and probably make a cool logo with it. They're also known as a species of bird that fights in packs and a very honoured creature in Asian mythology, which may be a demographic they can capture.

The Seattle Cranes with Kelsey Grammer's face as the logo.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Walter Sobchak said:

The Seattle Cranes with Kelsey Grammer's face as the logo.

Every concession stand will sell tossed salad and scrambled eggs

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 04/13/2017 at 3:51 PM, hockey week said:

*facepalm*

Because Seattle would have both the Mariners and Sub-Mariners

Seattle Supermariners basketball or football team.

15 hours ago, Viola73 said:

Which is why I see an opportunity for this fictional Seattle team. Have the owners get with the nations representatives. The owners say that they want to go in the direction of an indigenous mascot and name but want the nations to come up with the name and the symbol that would be on the sweater. Also, ever home game would include prominant displays on the history and culture of the local tribes of the greater Seattle area. And a portion of the gate receipts goes to the Native American College Fund. I think with the input and endorsement from the nations it could be a neat package.

And if the nations decline then call the team Seattle Fighting Irish and use a leprechaun like Notre Dame. Problem solved, problem staying solved.

"Hey you leaders of Venezuela, Costa Rica, Peru, and Bolivia! Get together and come up with a unifying mascot that connects all of your individual peoples and cultures for purposes of pro sports branding!"

It's same idea as what you're proposing and would likely go about as well. Individual tribes are individual nations and you can't just lump them together.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

16 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

"Hey you leaders of Venezuela, Costa Rica, Peru, and Bolivia! Get together and come up with a unifying mascot that connects all of your individual peoples and cultures for purposes of pro sports branding!"

It's same idea as what you're proposing and would likely go about as well. Individual tribes are individual nations and you can't just lump them together.

Couldn't have said it better. "Atlanta may get an expansion team, we should name them something to do with African-Americans. Something totally respectful though, and we can have a little education desk to talk about slavery and poverty problems. Maybe even a college fund or something." What's with the need to represent an ethnic group with the team anyway? (someone else suggested naming the team the Cranes to get Asian people to cheer for them?!).

Not to mention the absolutely 100% necessary Fighting Irish quip... it was just a matter of time wasn't it.

Seriously guys all of these Native-themed names are terrible anyway. Just come up with anything else.

36 minutes ago, Point1 said:

What's with the need to represent an ethnic group with the team anyway? (someone else suggested naming the team the Cranes to get Asian people to cheer for them?!).

Apparently to show that you're not PC.  The moment someone says "hey, how about we go with Savages" you either get on board or be dismissed as "PC."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Well, lumping them together would be the owners calling the team the Indians and coming up with a logo of an plains Indian in full head dress. Then say that this represents the native people of the Seattle area. 

And of course there are individual tribes and nations with their own identities. To suggest that they are all the same is asinine and uncultured.

But to have those nations and tribes come together and create a symbol of unity, even for sports branding, I think could become more than just a sports logo.

9 hours ago, Point1 said:

Couldn't have said it better. "Atlanta may get an expansion team, we should name them something to do with African-Americans. Something totally respectful though, and we can have a little education desk to talk about slavery and poverty problems. Maybe even a college fund or something." What's with the need to represent an ethnic group with the team anyway? (someone else suggested naming the team the Cranes to get Asian people to cheer for them?!).

Not to mention the absolutely 100% necessary Fighting Irish quip... it was just a matter of time wasn't it.

Seriously guys all of these Native-themed names are terrible anyway. Just come up with anything else.

Don't like Fighting Irish? How about the Fighting Scots of Seattle. That has a nice ring to it. 

Long before Totems became a no-brainer for me, my first favourite choice was Breakers, the junior WHL Thunderbirds' original name. Since USFL's folding, that name hasn't been used in any major sports league.

Seattle Breakers slides off the tongue smoothly and it's got a hockey twist - "Breaking the ice". Though two-tone blue would be a natural, I still prefer a green primary look with a lighter shade of blue or teal as the secondary. 

To the average person, Seattle is known for (non-sports-related):
* Starbucks/coffee

* Rain

* Boeing

* Microsoft

* The Space Needle

* Mount Rainier

* "Grunge" music (nobody who was into it called it that)

Seattle Emeralds (it's the Emerald City after all... but then they'd be called the Em's and that would be confusing with the M's)

Seattle Rattles ("Rattle City" is a nickname for Seattle. Can be a reference to music as well as earthquakes. Well, and babies, so maybe not. Although they could whine for penalties.)

Seattle Rainiers (in reference to the mountain, as well to it being rainier than many places.)

Seattle Olympias

Seattle Airliners

Seattle Aviators

Seattle Aeros

Metropolitans has history, no denying that. But how many people know the history? I'm fairly certain they'd like to avoid Native American references just to avoid the potential fallout.

Pilots is cool, but would MLB let them use it? (I should hope so, considering they have the Mariners and the Pilots are never coming back.)

10 minutes ago, webdav said:

Pilots is cool, but would MLB let them use it? (I should hope so, considering they have the Mariners and the Pilots are never coming back.)

Pilots would be cool. The NHL let Denver's MLB team use the Rockies name. So, it's only fair. 

53 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Pilots would be cool. The NHL let Denver's MLB team use the Rockies name. So, it's only fair. 

It would depend. I get the feeling that the NHL/New Jersey Devils let their claim on the "Colorado Rockies" name lapse or otherwise chose not to challenge the baseball team's use of it. Which effectively would have transfered the rights to the name to the baseball team anyway.

I'm not sure what the status of the Seattle Pilots name is, but it's possible that MLB still holds a trademark on it. Didn't the Mariners wear Pilots throwbacks not too long ago?

5 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Anyone in favor or Seattle Golden Pilots.or Seattle Ice Pilots?  No??  Ok...

Golden Pilots, Silver Pilots, Rain Pilots, or since this is the NHL and they have some goofy names...Desert Pilots!

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, DG_Now said:

Per Wikipedia (via 2010 Census), Seattle's population is about 1% Native American or Alaskan Native.

I did some poking, and there's a wide variety of local tribal governments nearby, including:

• Chinook Indian Tribe, Inc.

I was actually thinking Chinook but as reference to the helicopter. I'm all for unique team names. Seattle Chinooks has my vote

50 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It would depend. I get the feeling that the NHL/New Jersey Devils let their claim on the "Colorado Rockies" name lapse or otherwise chose not to challenge the baseball team's use of it. Which effectively would have transfered the rights to the name to the baseball team anyway.

I'm not sure what the status of the Seattle Pilots name is, but it's possible that MLB still holds a trademark on it. Didn't the Mariners wear Pilots throwbacks not too long ago?

I don't know much about this end of the biz, but is it generally the league or the franchise that owns these defunct names?  That is, would it be MLB or the Brewers? Or both.

I don't know that MLB or the Brewers would feel a lot stronger than the NHL/Devils did.  But if, for some reason, they were hesitant to let it happen, then the Coyotes Seattle expansion team would move on barring a huge public outcry for the name causing MLB to give in to avoid bad publicity.  I don't think there'd be that much demand in Seattle for that name.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 4/14/2017 at 2:24 AM, dont care said:

Can teams trademark color schemes? I don't think there is anything the thunderbirds could do legally to prevent them from using those colors

Per my girlfriend, an IP paralegal:

You can't trademark a color scheme, in and of itself, but similar or identical colors add fuel to the fire if you want to bring a case based on brand confusion. If you intend on using similar schemes, with the explanation you want to give the city's teams a unifying theme, it's best to get a courtesy approval from the established brands, to avoid future headaches.

UPDATE: she did mention that you can protect a color package, but that actually has more to do with what you name the colors.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived