Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

Well I'll be. I guess I need to brush up my junior hockey...

CibRX.gif

But, there's a price for everything ...

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

David Bonderman and Jerry Bruckheimer dig a bit deeper into their horde of cash and pay the Kent, Washington-based major junior Seattle Thunderbirds to part with the name. Frankly, the WHL T-Birds may not be long for the world after a Seattle NHL franchise sets-up shop, anyway. If not the Seattle Thunderbirds, then go with the Seattle Steelheads or Seattle Cutthroats

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

David Bonderman and Jerry Bruckheimer dig a bit deeper into their horde of cash and pay the Kent, Washington-based major junior Seattle Thunderbirds to part with the name. Frankly, the WHL T-Birds may not be long for the world after a Seattle NHL franchise sets-up shop, anyway. If not the Seattle Thunderbirds, then go with the Seattle Steelheads or Seattle Cutthroats

In which case Bonderman and Bruckheimer would have to buy the rights from the ECHL Idaho Steelheads, which is probably more expensive than buying the rights from an economically-threatened WHL team.

Think the NHL would allow the Seattle Sockeyes?

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Hopefully a Seattle team won't do what Foley did and name his team after an inferior of his closest rival.

So, maybe not name a team after a fish when the mascot of the team across the border is a carnivorous orca.

VmWIn6B.png

13 minutes ago, LMU said:

Hopefully a Seattle team won't do what Foley did and name his team after an inferior of his closest rival.

So, maybe not name a team after a fish when the mascot of the team across the border is a carnivorous orca.

I still think Sea Lions might be a good name, despite being orca food.

33 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I still think Sea Lions might be a good name, despite being orca food.

Sea Lions would have been great for San Jose's team, if they were looking on keeping the spirit of the Seals alive.

For Seattle though? Eh...too many jokes given how close the Canucks would be. @LMU's right to point out that Foley was dumb to name his team "Knights" when the Kings are within driving distance. Maybe not the best example to take ques from though.

2 minutes ago, bowld said:

Wonder what color scheme the upcoming expansion team will go with.

Blue and green (seahawks colors) are already used by Vancouver so thats out. Do they go Green/Yellow a la Sonics?

I think dark blue will be one for sure as well as a bright shade of green. You look at the 3 major league teams there as well as the Thunderbirds all use a dark/ navy blue as well as green (although Mariners is more a teal colour). Even their new rugby team, Seattle Seawolves (with an orca logo) uses blue and green. I wouldn't be surprised if the potential NHL team goes the same route. 

11 minutes ago, bowld said:

Blue and green (seahawks colors) are already used by Vancouver so thats out. Do they go Green/Yellow a la Sonics?

I'm envisioning one of two scenarios vis-a-vis color choice: 

1. Seattle follows the Pittsburgh route and has all its pro teams share the same color scheme with some variant of blue and green. It's easy to do this without confusing the color scheme with the Canucks. The easiest route is to follow the Seahawks color scheme of Navy and Rave Green. This becomes more complicated, though, should Seattle ever land another NBA team. Which leads me to the next possibility ...
  2. The club goes the green-and-yellow route, speculating that it will one day share a building with the Sonics, creating chromatic solidarity with a future co-tenant. 

18 minutes ago, bowld said:

My personal preference would be for them to go with the name Metropolitans/Metros, due to the history associated with the name (the original Metros were the first American-based team to win the Stanley Cup).

That being said? I wouldn't replicate the old team's red, green, and white colour scheme. I'd go forest green and gold. Sort of a pre-BFBS North Stars look. With Dallas having switched gold out for silver? The colour scheme's Seattle's for the taking.

Also, who are we kidding? The NHL in Seattle would just be the warmup act for the Sonics' return. So might as well share the colours so they can coordinate the arena's colour layout with as little fuss as possible.

37 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Sea Lions would have been great for San Jose's team, if they were looking on keeping the spirit of the Seals alive.

For Seattle though? Eh...too many jokes given how close the Canucks would be. @LMU's right to point out that Foley was dumb to name his team "Knights" when the Kings are within driving distance. Maybe not the best example to take ques from though.

Yeah, but in chess the king just sits there waiting and hoping it doesn't die, while the knights are out doing stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Yeah, but in chess the king just sits there waiting and hoping it doesn't die, while the knights are out doing stuff. 

I'm not sure most NHL owners know how to play chess :D

Whatever their name is, I say go with different colours that will stand out from everyone else.  I think it's fine if they go with similar colours, but having their own allows them to own the colour in the city, instead of sharing them with other teams.

6 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I think sticking with a green and blue scheme of some sort would be great. Maybe a dark green with light blue like Tulane. 

That color scheme will only work if they're primarily green with blue accents. The reverse would be far too close to the Canucks.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived