The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

Chicago's west of the Mississippi? When did they relocate the city?

A 3-division format that's evenly numbered with one wild card is better balanced than different numbered divisions. Then you got teams in two divisions claiming the winners of the other two only have to beat out 6 teams aswear they have to beat 7. It's like one of the reasons for switching Houston, the winner of the NL Central had to beat 5 teams when the AL West winner only had to beat 3. If they just ditched the second wild card team, it'd be a much neater 3 division winners plus a wild card. Year-round Interleague play is not the problem. Minimally teams would only have to play like 12 interleague games total. MLB just wanted more games.

More-so than anything else, my idea was borne out of the idea of eliminating the weak sister division winner, again, like the NHL is doing beginning next year. A 38-44 team had home ice in the East last year, which is unforgivable. In baseball, there have been a number of 80-89 win division winners and 85-90+ win teams that missed the playoffs in those same seasons. Flukes will happen, but they shouldn't be so frequent. A year like 2002 is a case where three divisions worked, since the division winners that year were 103, 103, and 95 wins.

I dunno. Maybe it's just parity that is at the true source of the problem. The best teams in any sport should be legitimately excellent teams. We don't really have that in baseball these days.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Respectfully submitted to the NHL Board of Governors: I believe that the realignment plans outlined herein present a more suitable list of possibilities than the current realignment that was agreed to upon the negotiation of the current contract between the NHLPA and NHL Board of Governors.

The realignments herein are more suitable because they all allow for the maintenance of two conferences of 15 teams each.

Further to this proposal, I submit that qualification for the playoffs have the following stipulation: Division winners would be allowed a playoff seed,

however, it would fall in the appropriate standing relative to the other 7 teams that qualify for the playoffs in that conference.

(i.e. if the Southern Division winner has fewer points than the 4th-best team in the other division of its conference, it would be seeded 5th.)

dearnhl2_zps8b925171.png?t=1367166434

Please note: The rendering of the franchise currently known at the Phoenix Coyotes has been changed to Quebec Coyotes in this model, but could also suitably be replaced with their current location, and placed into the appropriate division henceforth.

You have the Southern Division stretching from LA to Carolina and the Florida teams? Just because they're geographically south, doesn't mean they fit well in a division. The total distance would be ridiculous coupled with it spanning 4 time zones. You think fans of the teams on the east coast are gonna want to stay up and watch that many games being played 3 hours behind? No, they're not. And there's gonna a lot of games within the division. Not to mention separating the Blues from the Blackhawks.

You have the Southern Division stretching from LA to Carolina and the Florida teams?

Just because they're geographically south, doesn't mean they fit well in a division.

The total distance would be ridiculous coupled with it spanning 4 time zones.

You think fans of the teams on the east coast are gonna want to stay up and watch that many games being played 3

hours behind? No, they're not. And there's gonna a lot of games within the division.

Not to mention separating the Blues from the Blackhawks.

Eh, it's what had to be done. I thought preserving the Wings and Hawks was more important.

As far as the Southern division being absolutely screwed for travel, I get where you are coming from - as well

as the late starts. For that reason, I think that proposals #1 and #3 help even out the total travel that every team

would have to endure, as I placed one Eastern time division with a westerly division, a la NFL, into two conferences.

Perhaps the Southern's divisional games could be staged on weekends, though - say Friday night,

and Saturday/Sunday 3 PM starts (Pacific Time), airing at 6 PM on the east coast.

Just a thought.

Actually, my real preference would be 10 pods of 3 teams - but I don't know if that would seem too drastic for the NHL.

PODS:

NHLREALIGNMENT_zps1b3ad951.jpg?t=1367202222

Edited by Magnus

Now, for something fun... NBA D-League Realignment!

In this planned realignment, each NBA team has a minor league team, so that way it can be, in a way, like the NBA is. Also keep in mind that the teams getting new teams will have the parent team's name as a placeholder for the time being. Also, location will also matter here. So, let's begin...

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division

Delaware 87ers (Philadelphia)

Erie Bayhawks (New York)

Maine Red Claws (Boston)

Ottawa Raptors (Toronto)

Springfield Armor (Brooklyn)

Central Division

Canton Charge (Cleveland)

Fort Wayne Mad Ants (Indiana)

Green Bay Bucks (Milwaukee)

Iowa Energy (Chicago)

Toledo Pistons (Detroit)

Southeast Division

Durham Bobcats (Charlotte)

Florida Flame (Miami)

Jacksonville Magic (Orlando)

Richmond Wizards (Washington)

Savannah Hawks (Atlanta)

Western Conference

Northwest Division

Billings Jazz (Utah)

Idaho Stampede (Portland)

Omaha Nuggets (Denver)

Sioux Falls Skyforce (Minnesota)

Tulsa 66ers (Oklahoma City)

Southwest Division

Austin Toros (San Antonio)

Lafayette Pelicans (New Orleans)

Little Rock Grizzlies (Memphis)

Rio Grande Valley Vipers (Houston)

Texas Legends (Dallas)

Pacific Division

Albuquerque Suns (Phoenix)

Bakersfield Jam (LA Clippers)

Los Angeles D-Fenders (LA Lakers)

Reno Bighorns (Sacramento)

Santa Cruz Warriors (Golden State)

Inspired by Magnus, I've made that style work for the NBA.

Northwest:

Portland Trail Blazers

Seattle Sonics (Formerly Sacramento)

Utah Jazz

California:

Golden State Warriors

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Texas:

Dallas Mavericks

Houston Rockets

San Antonio Spurs

Southwest:

New Orleans Pelicans

Oklahoma City Thunder

Phoenix Suns

Wilderness:

Denver Nuggets

Milwaukee Bucks

Minnesota Timberwolves

Central:

Chicago Bulls

Indiana Pacers

Memphis Grizzlies

Great Lakes:

Cleveland Cavaliers

Detroit Pistons

Toronto Raptors

Northeast:

Boston Celtics

Philadelphia 76ers

Washington Wizards

Atlantic:

Brooklyn Nets

Charlotte Hornets (formerly Bobcats)

New York Knicks

Southeast:

Atlanta Hawks

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

1. I just don't see Orlando basketball, but thanks for the point.

2. Explain why too many would hurt. The playoffs can still function.

Why don't you see Orlando basketball? They do pretty well at the gate, built a new arena, and are the only game in town. They'd do far better where they are than moving to a super-saturated Tampa Bay sports market.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1. I just don't see Orlando basketball, but thanks for the point.

2. Explain why too many would hurt. The playoffs can still function.

Why don't you see Orlando basketball? They do pretty well at the gate, built a new arena, and are the only game in town. They'd do far better where they are than moving to a super-saturated Tampa Bay sports market.

Once again, good point, and now looking at the attendance, both of you have proven your point.

97uyh0.jpg

And my Rate Your Music

An addition to my earlier-posted realignment where there are 10 divisions of 3:

Reduce the regular season to 60 games. Each team plays every other team once at home and once away.

That makes 58 games. In theory, this makes the travel burden a lot more for Eastern clubs, and so puts their travel amount closer to what Western teams have to endure.

And then, to wrap up the regular season in dramatic fashion - a way that I believe will be attractive to American audiences...

"NHL Bowl Week ©"

Yes, you heard it here first, folks. ALL 30 TEAMS get to play in an outdoor stadium - once as a guest, and once as a host, against two of their greatest rivals.

Here's the breakdown:

Group 1: Great Lakes

Buffalo Wings Bowl, sponsored by Buffalo Wild Wings - Buffalo hosts Toronto at Ralph Wilson Stadium

Trillium Bowl - Toronto hosts Detroit at BMO Field or Skydome

Motor Bowl - Detroit hosts Buffalo at Michigan Stadium or Comerica Park or Ford Field or my personal favourite, the Pontiac Silverdome

Group 2: Northwest

Whale Bowl - Vancouver hosts Calgary at BC Place

Encana Bowl - Calgary hosts Edmonton at McMahon Stadium

Rexall Bowl - Edmonton hosts Vancouver at Commonwealth Stadium

Group 3: California

California Bowl - Anaheim hosts Los Angeles at Mount Baldy Ski Resort, California

Fish Bowl - San Jose hosts Anaheim at the Badger Pass Ski Resort, California

Golden Bowl - Los Angeles hosts San Jose at Mount Baldy

Group 4: Southern

Busch Bowl sponsored by Budweiser - St Louis vs Nashville at Busch Stadium

Tomato Bowl - Nashville vs Columbus at Volunteer Stadium *(tomatoes are the state fruit of Tennessee)

Buckeye Bowl - Columbus vs St Louis at Buckeye Stadium

Group 5: Central

Bomber Bowl - Jets vs Wild - Bombers Stadium

Gopher Bowl - Wild vs Blackhawks - TCF Bank Stadium, U of Minnesota

Wrigley Bowl - Blackhawks vs Jets - Wrigley Field

Group 6: Mountain/Desert

Oasis Bowl - Phoenix vs Dallas - Sunrise Park Ski Resort, Arizona

Cowboy Bowl - Dallas vs Colorado - Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, TX

Buffalo Bowl- Colorado vs Phoenix - Folsom Field (home of the Colorado Buffaloes), Boulder, Colorado

Group 7: Northeast

Green Monster Bowl - Boston vs Montreal, Fenway Park

Boule Olympique - Montreal vs Ottawa, Stade Olympique

National/Canada Bowl - Ottawa vs Boston, Frank Clair Stadium

Group 8: Metro

Yankee Bowl - Rangers vs Islanders, Yankee Stadium

Big Apple Bowl - Islanders vs Devils, Citi Field

Swamp Bowl - Devils vs Rangers, Meadowlands Stadium

Group 9: Atlantic

Keystone Bowl - Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh from Penn State

Liberty Bell Bowl - Pittsburgh vs Washington from Penn State

Federal Bowl - Philadelphia vs Washington from RFK Stadium

Group 10: Tropical

Carolina Blue Bowl - Carolina vs Tampa from Appalachian State University - Boone, North Carolina

Bama Bowl - Tampa vs Florida from Cheaha Mountain, Alabama

Jamaica Bowl - Florida vs Carolina from Blue Mountain Peak, Jamaica

**Away opponents could of course be rotated from season to season to keep things interesting.**

---

Now I realize that you are probably thinking - a 60 game season? There is no way that any NHL owner would want to cut out 11 home dates from their schedule.

I have a solution to that as well. You know how HC Davos hosts the Spengler Cup each year? Every NHL club could do the same, whether they prefer to do so before or after the regular season.

Here's an example I came up with.

--

PENNSYLVANIA KEYSTONE CUP - hosted by Penn State University

Participants:

Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Penn State Nittany Lions, Pitt Panthers, Robert Morris Colonials, Mercyhurst Lakers

Tournament Structure:

Each team plays all five opponents. Top two teams play for championship - third and fourth-ranked teams play for bronze.

Tournament payout:

Winners of the Keystone Cup receive 25% of net revenues raised, and their name engraved on the Keystone Cup.

Second place gets 22% of revenues (47%)

Third place gets 18% of revenues (65%)

Fourth place gets 14% of revenues (79%)

Fifth place gets 11% of revenues (90%)

Sixth place gets 10% of revenues (100%)

--

Now, I can almost guarantee that we would see the two NHL clubs play for the championship most years, but the incentive payout for the university clubs is there as well - sort of like how NCAA teams get big payouts to travel and get demolished by playing in the big football programs' stadiums.

YAY CAPITALISM.

NHLREALIGNMENTc_zps5b8c825c.png

Edited by Magnus
  • Like 1

Eh what the hell.

24 team NBA

ATLANTIC

Boston Celtics

New York Knicks

Brooklyn Nets

Washington Bullets

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

CENTRAL

Chicago Bulls

Detroit Pistons

Indiana Pacers

Cleveland Cavaliers

Toronto Raptors (or Huskies or something a little less dumb than Raptors)

Philadelphia 76ers

----------------------------

MIDWEST

Houston Rockets

Dallas Mavericks

San Antonio Spurs

Memphis Grizzlies

Oklahoma City Thunder

Denver Nuggets

PACIFIC

Los Angeles Lakers

Los Angeles Clippers

San Francisco Warriors

Phoenix Suns

Portland Trail Blazers

Utah Jazz

--------------------

CONTRACTED

Charlotte Bobcats - They're completely incompetent and irrelevant (currently and historically). Get rid of them.

New Orleans - Nobody there gives a :censored: about pro basketball, this has long since been established, why the league felt the need to bend over backwards to keep the team there I do not know.

Minnesota Timberwolves - See Charlotte, but slightly less historically irrelevant.

Milwaukee Bucks - Hopefully those arena plans fall through.

Atlanta Hawks - Kind of a tough cut because of the (ancient) historical relevance, but oh well.

Sacramento Kings - Solid market... when they're winning. They better hope they strike it rich in the 2014 draft, otherwise, well... yeah. Toughest cut of the bunch for me.

There you have it. Better quality basketball now that the talent pool is less diluted and some of the perennial losers have been culled. Couldn't think of a way to logically work Seattle into the picture after the cuts without expansion.

Another pointless Realignment.

The Ultimate Spring Football League (USFL-World League merger)

World Conference

European

Amsterdam Admirals

Barcelona Dragons

Frankfurt Galaxy

London Monarchs

Atlantic

Montreal Machine

New York Knights

Orlando Thunder

Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks

Central

Birmingham Fire

Mexico City Aztecs

Ohio Glory

San Antonio Riders

Pacific

Las Vegas Scorpions

Los Angeles Avengers

Portland Platypus

Sacramento Surge

United Conference

Atlantic

New Jersey Generals

Philadelphia Stars

Pittsburgh Maulers

Washington Federals

Central

Chicago Blitz

Detroit Prowlers (Michigan Panthers tribute)

Houston Gamblers

Oklahoma Outlaws

Southern

Jacksonville Bulls

Memphis Showboats

New Orleans Breakers

Tampa Bay Bandits

Pacific

Arizona Wranglers

Denver Gold

Los Angeles Express

Oakland Invaders

If the NHL expanded into 32 teams, they should go with 8 divisions like the NFL. Here's a mockup of what it could look like:

Pacific

• Anaheim Ducks
  • Los Angeles Kings
  • San Jose Sharks
  • Seattle Roast (expansion)

Mountain

• Colorado Avalanche
  • Dallas Stars
  • Minnesota Wild
  • Utah Yeti (formerly Florida)

Canada West

• Calgary Flames
  • Edmonton Oilers
  • Vancouver Canucks
  • Winnipeg Jets

Central

• Chicago Blackhawks
  • Detroit Red Wings
  • Milwaukee Marvels (formerly Nashville)
  • St. Louis Blues

Canada East

• Montreal Canadiens
  • Ottawa Senators
  • Toronto Maple Leafs
  • Quebec Nordiques (formerly Phoenix)

New England

• Boston Bruins
  • Brookyln Islanders
  • Buffalo Sabres
  • New York Rangers

Northeast

• Indianapolis Motors (expansion)
  • Cleveland Barons (formerly Columbus)
  • Philadelphia Flyers
  • Pittsburgh Penguins

Atlantic

• Carolina Hurricanes
  • New Jersey Devils
  • Tampa Bay Lightning
  • Washington Capitals

97uyh0.jpg

And my Rate Your Music

Needlers- Space Needle is in Seattle. I suppose it's a weird name but, what else? Seattle Frappachinos?

Peaks- Again, what else would work for Utah? I don't want a bee related name.

97uyh0.jpg

And my Rate Your Music

Is it possible for the leader of an NHL division to be ranked 9th or lower in the conference in the new realignment format?

Well, let's see...

If 38/82 games are divisional, and 46 are outside... and a division leader somehow manages to lose ALL games outside their division...

38-46 would equal 76 points - Not usually enough to qualify for playoffs in an 82-game season. (In fact, 8 games below .500!)

Therefore, I propose that even under the realignment plan that the NHL is adopting, a division leader should get the conference ranking that their point total merits, not an automatic #2 seed.

NO MORE SUBSTANDARD TEAMS GETTING HIGH SEEDINGS.