The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

I wanted to keep at least one team in the south and they're the only one with something that resembles a fanbase. Of course, in this alternate universe where I'm king, the Spirits of St. Louis are still around because no team with that awesome of a name would ever fold. :D

I wanted to keep at least one team in the south and they're the only one with something that resembles a fanbase.

Have you seen a game in Dallas? They were near the bottom of the league in attendance last year and this start sure isn't going to help that this season. Then you have a team like Tampa Bay that regularly sells out the TBTF, including all games this season.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

In light of the 32 team NHL thread that has exploded and illwauk's realignment here is mine!

Boston Bruins

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Quebec Nordiques *expansion

Hartford Whalers *from Florida

New York Rangers

Brooklyn Islanders

New Jersey Devils

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Washington Capitals

Tampa Bay Lightning

Carolina Hurricanes

Nashville Predators

Columbus Blue Jackets

Dallas Toros *for lack of a better name

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Blackhawks

Toronto Maple Leafs

Buffalo Sabres

Minnesota North Stars

St. Louis Blues

Winnipeg Jets

Colorado Avalanche

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Vancouver Canucks

Seattle Metropolitans *from Phoenix

Los Angeles Kings

San Jose Sharks

Anaheim Ducks

Salt Lake... Saints, Sting, Mammoths, Mormons?

I wanted to keep at least one team in the south and they're the only one with something that resembles a fanbase.

Have you seen a game in Dallas? They were near the bottom of the league in attendance last year and this start sure isn't going to help that this season. Then you have a team like Tampa Bay that regularly sells out the TBTF, including all games this season.

To be perfectly honest, it's been awhile since I actively followed the NHL. Dallas is also more convenient geographically since Tampa Bay would throw off the entire alignment.

To be perfectly honest, it's been awhile since I actively followed the NHL. Dallas is also more convenient geographically since Tampa Bay would throw off the entire alignment.

Why are the cities of Hartford, Milwaukee (Brew City), Portland, and Seattle granted Alternate Universe NHL franchises while Washington, D.C. was ommitted from your league?

I think the 4 division "pod" set up is the only way to have a decent realignment with the current number of teams and taking the geography/rivalries into consideration. Also, :censored: Phoenix...

If Phoenix stays or movies to Seattle:

Patrick Division: NJ, NYI, NYR, PHI, PIT, WAS, CBJ

Adams Division: BOS, OTT, MTL, TOR, BUF, FLA, TB, CAR

Norris Division: DET, CHI, STL, NSH, MIN, WPG, DAL

Smythe Division: SJ, ANA, LA, COL, VAN, EDM, CGY, PHX/SEA

If Phoenix movies to Quebec:

Patrick Division: NJ, NYI, NYR, PHI, PIT, WAS, CAR

Adams Division: BOS, OTT, MTL, QUE, TOR, BUF, FLA, TB

Norris Division: DET, CHI, STL, NSH, MIN, WPG, CBJ

Smythe Division: SJ, ANA, LA, COL, VAN, EDM, CGY, DAL

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Since there are talks about an NHL Expansion, here are my ideas for a 32-team NHL.

Scenario A: Phoenix Coyotes stay put

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic

• New Jersey Devils
  • New York Islanders
  • New York Rangers
  • Philadelphia Flyers

Northeast

• Boston Bruins
  • Montreal Canadiens
  • Ottawa Senators
  • Toronto Maple Leafs

Southeast

• Carolina Hurricanes
  • Florida Panthers
  • Tampa Bay Lightning
  • Washington Capitals

Central

• Buffalo Sabres
  • Columbus Blue Jackets
  • Detroit Red Wings
  • Pittsburgh Penguins

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Midwest

• Chicago Blackhawks
  • Minnesota Wild
  • Nashville Predators
  • St. Louis Blues

Northwest

• Calgary Flames
  • Edmonton Oilers
  • Vancouver Canucks
  • Winnipeg Jets

Southwest

• Colorado Avalanche
  • Dallas Stars
  • Houston expansion team
  • Phoenix Coyotes

Pacific

• Anaheim Ducks
  • Los Angeles Kings
  • San Jose Sharks
  • Seattle expansion team

Scenario B: Phoenix Coyotes move to Seattle

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic

• New Jersey Devils
  • New York Islanders
  • New York Rangers
  • Philadelphia Flyers

Northeast

• Boston Bruins
  • Montreal Canadiens
  • Ottawa Senators
  • Toronto Maple Leafs

Southeast

• Carolina Hurricanes
  • Florida Panthers
  • Tampa Bay Lightning
  • Washington Capitals

Central

• Buffalo Sabres
  • Columbus Blue Jackets
  • Detroit Red Wings
  • Pittsburgh Penguins

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Midwest

• Chicago Blackhawks
  • Minnesota Wild
  • Nashville Predators
  • St. Louis Blues

Northwest

• Calgary Flames
  • Edmonton Oilers
  • Vancouver Canucks
  • Winnipeg Jets

Southwest

• Colorado Avalanche
  • Dallas Stars
  • Houston expansion team
  • Oklahoma City expansion team

Pacific

• Anaheim Ducks
  • Los Angeles Kings
  • San Jose Sharks
  • Seattle [insert team name here] (relocated from Phoenix)

Scenario C: Phoenix moves to Quebec

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic

• New Jersey Devils
  • New York Islanders
  • New York Rangers
  • Philadelphia Flyers

Northeast

• Boston Bruins
  • Montreal Canadiens
  • Ottawa Senators
  • Quebec Nordiques (relocated from Phoenix)

Southeast

• Carolina Hurricanes
  • Florida Panthers
  • Tampa Bay Lightning
  • Washington Capitals

Central

• Buffalo Sabres
  • Columbus Blue Jackets
  • Pittsburgh Penguins
  • Toronto Maple Leafs

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Midwest

• Chicago Blackhawks
  • Detroit Red Wings
  • Minnesota Wild
  • St. Louis Blues

Northwest

• Calgary Flames
  • Edmonton Oilers
  • Vancouver Canucks
  • Winnipeg Jets

Southwest

• Colorado Avalanche
  • Dallas Stars
  • Houston expansion team
  • Nashville Predators

Pacific

• Anaheim Ducks
  • Los Angeles Kings
  • San Jose Sharks
  • Seattle expansion team

YOZXkBG.png?1

If we assume that the Coyotes relocate and the NHL expands we have to subtract Phoenix and add three new markets. Ideally I'd like to see Quebec City, Seattle, and Milwaukee. We'd probably end up with Quebec City, Seattle, and Toronto 2.0 though. So here's what I would like to see if we get that setup. What's cool is that you could substitute Toronto 2.0 for Milwaukee and it would still work.

Eastern Conference

Northeast

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Montreal Canadiens

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Ottawa Senators

Quebec Nordiques

Atlantic

Carolina Hurricanes

Dallas Stars

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Tampa Bay Lightning

Washington Capitals

Western Conference

Central

Chicago Blackhawks

Columbus Blue Jackets

Detroit Red Wings

Minnesota Wild

St. Louis Blues

Toronto Fighting Mongooses/Milwaukee Admirals

Toronto Maple Leafs

Winnipeg Jets

Pacific

Anaheim Ducks

Calgary Flames

Colorado Avalanche

Edmonton Oilers

Los Angeles Kings

San Jose Sharks

Seattle Metropolitans

Vancouver Canucks

Dallas in the Atlantic is almost worse than Dallas being the the Pacific.

If it's Milwaukee in, I would swap conferences with Dallas and Toronto. Problem there is you'd have to put Toronto in the Northeast, and I have no :censored: ing clue who you move from the Northeast down. The southernmost team in your Northeast is New Jersey, and you'd have a hard time splitting them from the two New York teams (harder than splitting them with Philly which is bad enough.)

If it's a second Toronto team... then you either move Dallas and split the two Torontos or move Dallas/Nashville and move both Torontos to the East, and move New Jersey down you'd have to split the two New Yorks? That wouldn't ever work either.

The NHL's footprint makes realignment so freaking screwy.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This is just a minor tweak overall to the league and gets Winnipeg out of the the Southeast. Its the most realistic realignment I could see the NHL doing.

Eastern Conference

Atlantic

New Jersey

Pittsburgh

NY Islanders

Philadelphia

NY Rangers

Northeast

Boston

Ottawa

Montreal

Buffalo

Toronto

Southeast

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Washington

Florida

Dallas

Western Conference

Central

Chicago

Detroit

St. Louis

Columbus

Nashville

Northwest

Edmonton

Calgary

Colorado

Minnesota

Winnipeg

Pacific

San Jose

Anaheim

Vancouver

Los Angeles

Phoenix

This is just a minor tweak overall to the league and gets Winnipeg out of the the Southeast. Its the most realistic realignment I could see the NHL doing.

Eastern Conference

Atlantic

New Jersey

Pittsburgh

NY Islanders

Philadelphia

NY Rangers

Northeast

Boston

Ottawa

Montreal

Buffalo

Toronto

Southeast

Tampa Bay

Carolina

Washington

Florida

Dallas

Western Conference

Central

Chicago

Detroit

St. Louis

Columbus

Nashville

Northwest

Edmonton

Calgary

Colorado

Minnesota

Winnipeg

Pacific

San Jose

Anaheim

Vancouver

Los Angeles

Phoenix

Swap Dallas and Nashville.

Dallas in the Atlantic is almost worse than Dallas being the the Pacific.

Dallas is more southern than Western, so I think it makes sense putting it with Nashville, Carolina, Tampa Bay, etc.

Also, I forgot I wrote in this thread early - Rams80 you make some excellent points, but I think the crux of our disagreements would be on the stadiums issue. Taxpayers who fund stadiums don't care if the team is playing in the top division, they care if the team is selling seats and generating a return on investment. Last place MLB teams don't sell well unless it's the Cubs. You're correct on those English cities' size, but doesn't that help my point? Sheffield is the size of Milwaukee or Portland, yet it has a Tier 2 team averaging 23k in attendance and a Tier 3 team averaging 18k in attendance.

You mention Portsmouth. They still fill their stadium to 60% capacity even after dropping down two flights. That's about what the bottom third of the MLB gets with much larger metro areas, and those stadiums are more expensive and less practical.

If we created 2nd-division NFL, I have no doubt established teams would still be drawing at 70+% capacity. Many teams, like the Bears and Steelers and Giants, would likely be above that. Same with the NBA with slightly lower figures and slightly more useful stadiums. The bonds would still get paid, even if it's a prohibiting factor in future bonds being issued.

Also, I forgot I wrote in this thread early - Rams80 you make some excellent points, but I think the crux of our disagreements would be on the stadiums issue. Taxpayers who fund stadiums don't care if the team is playing in the top division, they care if the team is selling seats and generating a return on investment. Last place MLB teams don't sell well unless it's the Cubs. You're correct on those English cities' size, but doesn't that help my point? Sheffield is the size of Milwaukee or Portland, yet it has a Tier 2 team averaging 23k in attendance and a Tier 3 team averaging 18k in attendance.

There is a tremendous difference in taxpayer expense between major league and even AAA stadia. El Paso's building a new AAA baseball stadium; sticker shock is $50 million. Marlins Park cost $634 million. The huge financial outlays by taxpayers for major league stadium is justified by the tenant's major league status. You lose that, you just piled up half a billion taxpayer dollars and bond issues and set it on fire. And nuked the city's credit rating while you're at it-which is going to cost taxpayers more money and lead to cuts in services. The citizens will just loooove that.

As for Sheffield, the point is neither Portland nor Milwaukee is critical to success if you're a major league. Same thing for EPL, although on a larger scale. The only city it needs is London.

You mention Portsmouth. They still fill their stadium to 60% capacity even after dropping down two flights. That's about what the bottom third of the MLB gets with much larger metro areas, and those stadiums are more expensive and less practical.

Pompey's on course to drop out of the entire Football League in a year or two at this rate, and for all of those attendance pounds, the value of the business has cratered and they STILL can't find a businessman to own the team at the moment.

If we created 2nd-division NFL, I have no doubt established teams would still be drawing at 70+% capacity. Many teams, like the Bears and Steelers and Giants, would likely be above that. Same with the NBA with slightly lower figures and slightly more useful stadiums. The bonds would still get paid, even if it's a prohibiting factor in future bonds being issued.

Only the NHL remains "gate-driven" of the classic Big 4. The rest of the leagues are more dependent on TV money. How much TV money gets shelled out to watch AAA baseball again?

Municipalities need bonds to function in the current anti-tax environment. Otherwise basic services start to suffer. "Prohibiting factor in future bonds being issued" is a major problem.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's my crazy version:

NORTH

Toronto

Montreal

Quebec (exp.)

Toronto 2 (exp.)

Ottawa

Boston

Buffalo

Halifax (reloc. Florida)

EAST

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

NY Rangers

NY Islanders

New Jersey

Washington

Carolina

Tampa Bay

CENTRAL

Detroit

Chicago

St. Louis

Minnesota

Nashville

Dallas

Winnipeg

Columbus

WEST

Edmonton

Calgary

Las Vegas (reloc. Anaheim)

Vancouver

Seattle (reloc. Phoenix)

Los Angeles

San Jose

Colorado

This league is terrible for geography.

I have a better 4 Division NHL alignment, in which I would like to call...

Scenario D: 32 teams, 4 Divisions

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic

• Carolina Hurricanes
  • Florida Panthers
  • New Jersey Devils
  • New York Islanders
  • New York Rangers
  • Philadelphia Flyers
  • Tampa Bay Lightning
  • Washington Capitals

Northeast

• Boston Bruins
  • Buffalo Sabres
  • Columbus Blue Jackets
  • Montreal Canadiens
  • Ottawa Senators
  • Pittsburgh Penguins
  • Quebec Nordiques (expansion)
  • Toronto Maple Leafs

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central

• Chicago Blackhawks
  • Dallas Stars
  • Detroit Red Wings
  • Houston expansion team
  • Minnesota Wild
  • Nashville Predators
  • St. Louis Blues
  • Winnipeg Jets

Pacific

• Anaheim Ducks
  • Calgary Flames
  • Colorado Avalanche
  • Edmonton Oilers
  • Los Angeles Kings
  • San Jose Sharks
  • Seattle (relocated from Phoenix)
  • Vancouver Canucks

• Like 1

YOZXkBG.png?1

(a) As for Sheffield, the point is neither Portland nor Milwaukee is critical to success if you're a major league. Same thing for EPL, although on a larger scale. The only city it needs is London.

(B) Only the NHL remains "gate-driven" of the classic Big 4. The rest of the leagues are more dependent on TV money. How much TV money gets shelled out to watch AAA baseball again?

I'm not sure what point (a) has to do with people adopting relegation. The analysis should be on whether fans in city x will still support a team in the 2nd tier. My point was that fairly big teams occasionally drop to Tier 2 in the English structure and they survive. And in those essential metro areas, the promotion/relegation structure allows multiple teams in those areas as teams compete at different levels.

On point (B), AAA baseball is a terrible analogy. Those teams don't exist to develop their own product, they exist to develop someone else's. So the owners have no incentive to develop their own assets and no tools with which to market a media-friendly product. Additionally, the existence of AAA status comes from the grants/contracts of Major League teams, which prevents entry into a lot of markets, including the most lucrative ones. Plus, something tells me that if Oklahoma City had an elite core of prospects that would push them into the upper league, people would pay attention and TV contracts would arise.

Let's say hypothetically that the NBA expands to three tiers, eradicates the NBA draft, eradicates market exclusivity, and allows for a way for new franchises to play their way into the pyramid. The first challenger franchises wouldn't be in El Paso, they'd be in NYC and Chicago, followed closely by teams in Pittsburgh, KC, St. Louis, San Diego, and other completely unrepresented cities at the top level. And because they would have wide placement in major media markets, they would wind up with much more favorable TV positions than AAA baseball or the NDBL.

(a) As for Sheffield, the point is neither Portland nor Milwaukee is critical to success if you're a major league. Same thing for EPL, although on a larger scale. The only city it needs is London.

( B) Only the NHL remains "gate-driven" of the classic Big 4. The rest of the leagues are more dependent on TV money. How much TV money gets shelled out to watch AAA baseball again?

I'm not sure what point (a) has to do with people adopting relegation. The analysis should be on whether fans in city x will still support a team in the 2nd tier. My point was that fairly big teams occasionally drop to Tier 2 in the English structure and they survive. And in those essential metro areas, the promotion/relegation structure allows multiple teams in those areas as teams compete at different levels.

Leagues can adopt relegation because the teams most likely to be relegated don't play in areas that could cost you media support or TV money if they weren't represented. The EPL currently quintuples down on Greater London, and the absolute worst case in a given year would be that Greater London only has 3 teams. This is good because London is the only market the EPL could not survive without. Believe me, if the relegation system posed an existential threat to the EPL's position in London, they'd drop it in a heartbeat. Meanwhile Leeds and Portsmouth do prove to the money guys the hazards of this system. Yes, they exist, but Leeds is still trying to climb out of the crater and as alluded to earlier, Portsmouth seems to be on a journey of discovery in which they find out how quickly a club can realistically go from the EPL to being out of the Football League altogether without being liquidated.

Pay attention to what happens up in Scotland over the next few years as well now that they shot the only reason people care about that league in the head.

On point ( B), AAA baseball is a terrible analogy. Those teams don't exist to develop their own product, they exist to develop someone else's. So the owners have no incentive to develop their own assets and no tools with which to market a media-friendly product. Additionally, the existence of AAA status comes from the grants/contracts of Major League teams, which prevents entry into a lot of markets, including the most lucrative ones. Plus, something tells me that if Oklahoma City had an elite core of prospects that would push them into the upper league, people would pay attention and TV contracts would arise.

Actually in terms of raw numbers for attendance its a pretty good analogy. Sheffield Wednesday's season-long attendance would put it in the lower 1st quarter of attendance states for AAA baseball, Sheffield United would be in the upper half. You need to remember that soccer attendance numbers are boosted up by a relative scarcity of home dates (and lack of competition for the sports dollar).

Let's say hypothetically that the NBA expands to three tiers, eradicates the NBA draft, eradicates market exclusivity, and allows for a way for new franchises to play their way into the pyramid. The first challenger franchises wouldn't be in El Paso, they'd be in NYC and Chicago, followed closely by teams in Pittsburgh, KC, St. Louis, San Diego, and other completely unrepresented cities at the top level. And because they would have wide placement in major media markets, they would wind up with much more favorable TV positions than AAA baseball or the NDBL.

Maybe. Or the entire thing would implode because of the entrenched fandoms in the multi-team cities for the existing teams and the markets that don't have teams are for the most part on the saturated side. Multi-team cities only work because they've been that way forever and most of the teams have historic roots in some neighborhood club team to give an organic fan base.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys,

Some of you may have already seen my post regarding fantasy baseball and how to align them up.

Well, since then, I've added 4 teams, which makes for a 20-team league.

I've already named the divisions, but not the conferences/league, so that's where you come in. I will list out the league/teams/divisions so you can get an idea of the outlook:

"Eastern League"

Atlantic Coast Division

Long Island D.

Long Island Y.

New Jersey

New York

Springfield (Massc.)

Great Lakes Division

Buffalo

Chicago

Dayton (Ohio)

Pittsburgh

Rochester

"Western" League

Gulf Coast Division

Atlanta

Arkansas

Birmingham

Florida

Texas

Pacific Coast Division

California

Iowa

Portland

Seattle

St. Louis

Here's a map to help you out. Just ignore the "colored" pins and focus on the shaded area and the red line. fc505514256cdea167750b15ca0f3f84.png?136

Now, I just don't want to name the "leagues/conferences" after the boring, old east-west thing. I've thought about Pioneer-Frontier, Sunrise-Sunset, Rocky-Appalachian, etc etc.

Now, it's kinda hard to come up with something because Florida/Atlanta are in the "west" but the "majority" of the Great Lakes division is in the Eastern Time Zone (only one in CST) whilst only two teams in the "west" are in EST.

The division names are pretty much set. I'm just looking for conference/league names.

The overall league name is "Fantasy Mendoza League," or FML. Yes, I did that on purpose :-P

Any insight/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!