The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

Ignore button would go a long way to getting it back on course.

Thats what I did Friday. The only way to vanqish the troll is to rid of it's power. Quit feeding him attention and he will eventually go away.

Where do you go to ignore them? I couldn't find it anywhere.

The current NBA has very few scheduling/alignment deficiencies.

The deficiencies are magnified by the massively unbalanced home-court advantage (25%) in the league, second only to the MLS (29%, larger than EPL).

The Knicks are 4 games back of 1st in the East:

They play the Western Conference 30 times (h/a, even). They play their Atlantic Division teams twice home twice away (16 games). They play three teams in each of the other divisions in the conference twice home and twice away also (24 games). The Knicks remaining 12 games are the cause of the dysfunction, and can be fixed by adding 4 games to the schedule.

The missing games:

vs. Charlotte, @ Atlanta, @ Milwaukee, vs. Cleveland

Vs 4 teams of atlantic HHAA

Vs 6 teams of central/southeast HHAA

Vs 2 teams of central/southeast HHA

Vs 2 teams of central/southeast HAA

Vs 15 teams of western conference HA

Either go up to 86 (HA vs opp conf, HHAA vs own conf) or go down to 58 and release team schedules from conference/divisional discriminations (or add different discriminations, like regulating league divisions by past performance...

...but what amount of teams should be included in each new conference and what criteria should determine the best teams?).

The Home team will beat the Away team in the NBA 30% of the time...

From Houston (Rockets are in the Western Conference):

Western Conference 143

Eastern Conference 138

Add four games to the schedule and the all-star game will be twice as arbitrary.

Ideally,

The Knicks, to take any team in the NBA, should play every team in their league (NBA) once at home once away, every team in their conference (and all "Conferences/Divisions" should have a really good reason for existing) once (more) home and away, and every team in their division once more (than teams just in their Conference) home and away.

The last "idea" (divisional games) is really open. Should the Knicks play twice as many games against their Atlantic Division opponents as their Central/Southeast opponents, just like they play twice as many games against the Eastern Conference as the Western Conference?

Should the Knicks play 3 or 4 home and home series versus Atlantic Division opponents?

Does the amount of games played matter?

Getting long, basically, I am an advocate of a shorter schedule, but if Conferences/Divisions must exist, the smallest grouping of teams should be where the preliminary playoff games must exist. There are no clear answers, but I think truly divisional playoff rounds ("Smythe Division") are the could provide a basis for the existence of a playoff (think "should divisional regular season games be three or four home away series?"), with the winners of each divisional playoff playing in a tournament, but...

There are six divisions.

What system is most often used to determine winners in a group of six? Right. Round-robin.

So, anyway. 4 divisions of 8, then.

Anaheim

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Los Angeles

San Jose

Vancouver

(Seattle)

Chicago

Dallas

Detroit

Minnesota

Nashville

St. Louis

Winnipeg

(Milwaukee)

Carolina

Columbus

Florida

New Jersey

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Tampa Bay

Washington

Boston

Brooklyn

Buffalo

Montreal

New York

Ottawa

Quebec

Toronto

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Gonna give that 14/18 IHL/AHL thing a whirl.

IHL Central Division

Chicago

Rockford

Milwaukee

Peoria

Grand Rapids

Cleveland

Quad Cities*

IHL Southern Division

Houston

San Antonio

Austin

Oklahoma City

Charlotte

Norfolk

Gwinnett*

AHL New England Division

Manchester

Portland

Springfield

Worcester

Providence

St. John's

AHL York Division (the state of New York, and Toronto, which used to be York)

Toronto

Hamilton

Utica

Syracuse

Rochester

Binghamton

AHL Central Division

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

Allentown

Hershey

Hartford

Bridgeport

Albany

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd love to see that happen, since the A operates as two distinct leagues up until the final, anyway. Give the Midwest back a real IHL, and let the Northeasters get their precious short-trip bus league back.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

For hockey, I realize that they want Pittsburgh in with Philly and Washington, but wouldn't it be more logical to bump Columbus and Pittsburgh to the Northeast; and Florida and Tampa Bay to the Atlantic?

Supposedly the Northeast teams draw better in Florida.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's my idea for a NHL expansion to 32 teams and a 4-division, 8-teams per division realignment:

wDb1vKT.png

Rivalries and whatnot are completely ignored, and there are three new teams as the Coyotes would be moved elsewhere.

NORTHEAST

Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, QUEBEC, Toronto.

ATLANTIC

Carolina, Florida, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Washington.

CENTRAL

Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg.

PACIFIC

Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, San Jose, SEATTLE, UTAH, Vancouver.

How about this? The NEW NHL. 20 teams. 4 dividions.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=074b86e116&view=att&th=13d269991f18a08f&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_Jj3pgovApdNk954ynfjaD&sadet=1362152333085&sads=DUxtwaocq3D9WMxxG3EiEDR8epg&sadssc=1

Image doesn't work

NORTHEAST:

Halifax, Quebec, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto. (shows Buffalo but mistake)

SOUTHEAST:

Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Pittsburgh.

CENTRAL:

Minnesota, Detroit, Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton

NORTHWEST:

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg

sport-scarf_reds_zpsbb317600.png

Going off of what the Admiral said... Would be nice to see a two league AAA hockey system like it use to be in the 90's.

AHL NORTH

Bridgeport Sound Tigers

Connecticut Whale

Hamilton Bulldogs

Manchester Monarchs

Portland Pirates

Providence Bruins

Springfield Falcons

St. John's Ice Caps

Toronto Marlies

Worcester Sharks

AHL SOUTH

Adirondack Phantoms

Albany Devils

Binghamton Senators

Hershey Bears

Norfolk Admirals

Rochester Americans

Syracuse Crunch

WB/Scranton Penguins

IHL EAST

Charlotte Checkers

Cincinnati Cyclones

Grand Rapids Griffins

Lake Erie Monsters

Orlando Solar Bears

Toledo Walleye

IHL WEST

Chicago Wolves

Houston Aeros

Milwaukee Admirals

Oklahoma City Barons

Peoria Rivermen

San Antonio Stampede

Unless the NHL expands I do not think they should change their current structure, besides some swap-outs like Winnipeg out of the SE and the Coyotes to the east should they move to Quebec. When you can have a nice, even, symmetrical division set up its stupid imo to have uneven divisions. If the NHL goes 32 I would prefer an NFL like set-up but 4 8-team divisions is just fine.

What I would do is different, I think the NHL and NBA should keep their current structure but dump conferences, at least for playoffs (Can still used for All-Star Game for instance). The playoffs should be seeded 1-16 league-wide. Perhaps give the division winners a guaranteed top 6 seed than the rest of the league fight for the other ten spots.

The NHL and NBA conferences are really pretty pointless. In the NFL one conferences was once a rival league, in the MLB the two league were historically completely separate entities and one still has a different rule set than the other (DH in AL). However in the NHL and NBA its just geography and while it may have served a purpose for travel costs or what have you at one time it clearly is pointless today.

I mean, imagine a Leafs-Habs Stanley Cup, or Wings-Hawks, Bruins-Rangers, Penguins-Flyers, even the Lighting-Panthers :hockeysmiley:

But seriously, I see no reason not to open it up like that. At the very least it provides several new intriguing matchup possibilities. Same in the NBA, imagine Knicks-Celtics-Bulls being able to face each other, or Clippers-Lakers or other local bouts or historic rivalries.

Obviously much different but the Arena League used to do this and it provided amazing Arena Bowls like Tampa Bay Storm-Orlando Predators, and San Jose Sabercats-Arizona Rattlers. They should bring that back too really.

niagaraq.png

I think I've figured out a realignment for the NHL that makes some sense, given the screwy geography and potential relocation of the Coyotes and eventual poorly thought out expansion.

Conference 1 - Pacific/Smythe/Gretzky conference

Vancouver

Edmonton

Calgary

Colorado

San Jose

Los Angeles

Anaheim

Phoenix

Eventually Seattle by relocation or expansion

Conference 2 - Great Lakes/Norris/Howe Conference

Winnipeg

Minnesota

Chicago

Detroit

Toronto

Buffalo

Ottawa

Eventually Markham by relocation or expansion

Conference 3 Northeast/Adams/Orr Conference

Montreal

Boston

NY Rangers

NY Islanders

New Jersey

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Eventually Quebec City by relocation or expansion

Conference 4 - Southern/Patrick/Hull Conference

Columbus

Washington

St. Louis

Carolina

Nashville

Dallas

Tampa Bay

Florida

Once the relocation/expansion is done, each conference could be split into two divisions

The Pacific into North and South divisions

Great Lakes into East and West

Northeast into North and South

Southern into East and West

The purpose of the divisions would be for seeding and keeping travel costs down with an unbalanced schedule.

Top team in each division would get an automatic playoff berth, with the top two remaining teams in each conference getting the remaining playoff berths.

nhl94vansigpng.png

What I would do is different, I think the NHL and NBA should keep their current structure but dump conferences, at least for playoffs (Can still used for All-Star Game for instance). The playoffs should be seeded 1-16 league-wide. Perhaps give the division winners a guaranteed top 6 seed than the rest of the league fight for the other ten spots.

The NHL and NBA conferences are really pretty pointless. In the NFL one conferences was once a rival league, in the MLB the two league were historically completely separate entities and one still has a different rule set than the other (DH in AL). However in the NHL and NBA its just geography and while it may have served a purpose for travel costs or what have you at one time it clearly is pointless today.

I mean, imagine a Leafs-Habs Stanley Cup, or Wings-Hawks, Bruins-Rangers, Penguins-Flyers, even the Lighting-Panthers :hockeysmiley:

But seriously, I see no reason not to open it up like that. At the very least it provides several new intriguing matchup possibilities. Same in the NBA, imagine Knicks-Celtics-Bulls being able to face each other, or Clippers-Lakers or other local bouts or historic rivalries.

Obviously much different but the Arena League used to do this and it provided amazing Arena Bowls like Tampa Bay Storm-Orlando Predators, and San Jose Sabercats-Arizona Rattlers. They should bring that back too really.

The NHL did this in the early '80s. We had a Long Island-Philadelphia Final once.

I like it in theory, as there's nothing inherent about The West and The East like there is with NL and AL, but teams and networks would throw bitchfits over Sharks-Bruins first rounds. I mean, this is also the league where it's the worst thing in the history of sports that the Red Wings are made to play two road games a year in Los Angeles.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫