The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

With a team that cold have a losing record getting into the playoffs (Seattle), the idea of going back to 3-division conferences doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

tl;dr

That's a terrible idea. The 32-team, 16-game NFL schedule is a thing of beauty. It took them years to come up with a scheduling system that made so much sense and you're scrapping it for two five-team divisions and one six because of the goddamn Seahawks? Reactive crap.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah. Keep or don't keep the divisions the way they are. If they did that, but selected the best 4, 6 or 8 teams in the conference based on record alone, you wouldn't have 7-9 teams making the playoffs.

REALIGNMENT CHALLENGE

Everyone seems to agree that the natural conclusion of Major League Baseball is a 16-team American League. Unfortunately, not only are the only remaining candidates kinda iffy (Portland, Charlotte), there aren't many smaller cities ready to host their affiliates. So, tell me where you would expand the AL, AAA, AA, Advanced A, Full A, Short Season A, and Rookie Leagues.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Contracted

Los Angeles Clippers*

The Clippers are 15th in attendance in the whole NBA right now. That's better than the Nuggets, Pistons, Rockets, Raptors, Bucks, Hawks, Sixers, and Nets, all of whom you're keeping around in your ideal NBA. I'm all for contracting some teams, but let's be realistic - the Clippers are doing surprisingly well at the box office for a team that has always been the second team in their market, with a dreadful history to boot.

/homer rant

I think he like LeBron) took the last 8 teams CURRENTLY with the worst records and contracted them, as if that's the basis for such an action. He didn't seem to figure in attendance, revenue or overall financial stability of the the franchises he dropped.

LOL are you kidding? The latter is EVERYTHING I took into consideration.

The Trail Blazers were on the borderline of being cut but they have a strong fan base and DID have a nice young team.

The Bobcats are out because the market is still weak and the team has not been able to develop a following let alone a team to root for.

The Pacers are out because they have not had much success recently and have failed to bring in strong revenue in recent years.

The Clippers were moved because its not necessary to have two teams in Los Angeles and they have NEVER been good.

The Grizzlies are out for reasons I REALLY shouldn't have to explain to anyone that knows anything about the NBA.

The Timberwolves are out because the market is weak, the team sucks, and they don't have fans to make money off of.

The Hornets are out because they can't afford to keep the team in the city.

The Kings are out because they have been a franchise that has always moved around, and hasn't had any real success while in Sacramento (and no, losing in the WCF in 2001 does not constitute that they have had success.)

The Wizards are out because as of 2009 the team is the second-highest in the league in terms of what percentage of their team value in debt owed, which is 62% as of 2009.

The Nets were not eliminated because they will have a new chance to gain a new following in Brooklyn and have the richest owner in the league which would pay to have his team remain.

The Raptors were not eliminated because they are the only team in Canada and Toronto has the potentiality to be nearly as big of a market as New York and LA.

The Cavs were not eliminated because they are my favorite team. :P

The Warriors were not eliminated because they have a stronger following than the Clippers and Kings and being only the second team in California will work out for them after my proposed contraction. You could say the same thing for the Kings I guess but they are a much more storied-franchise.

The Pistons are one of the most famous franchises in the entire NBA, have won a championship in the past 7 years, and have a strong following of fans. They also have a lot of money in the franchise to keep them around.

The Nuggets are to remain because they are the only team in the Rocky Mountain-area to capture the basketball fans in that region (besides the Jazz.)

The Rockets were not eliminated because Houston is TOO big of a market for a team not to exist and they have history for a fan base that IS there. Plus they are one of the most valuable teams in the league.

The Bucks were on the short list but made the cut IMO. Could have been cut and kept the Pacers, but I went the other route.

No way will the Philadelphia 76ers ever be contracted. You are just a dumbass for suggesting it.

IMO all my choices were correct, and I went out of my way to contract more teams than the NBA would ever think about getting rid of just to make it interesting.

Now please, argue with me over my decisions some more because you seem to have better evidence than I do.

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

"They've never been good" is not a valid reason to contract. "They've never been profitable" is, but the Clippers turn a profit every year.

Also, LOL at the Kings being a "storied" franchise. They were an embarrassment for a very long time until the Mike Bibby era. For a while they changed cities every five seconds. And now they're back to being an embarrassment again. Don't get me wrong, they should be contracted, but for their dismal attendance figures, not their history.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

What if the NFL did the whole East-West thing?

EASTERN FOOTBALL CONFERENCE (EFC)

Northeast

New England Patriots

New York Jets

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Atlantic

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Pittsburgh Steelers

Washington Redskins

Central

Buffalo Bills

Cleveland Browns

Cincinnati Bengals

Indianapolis Colts

Southeast

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

WESTERN FOOTBALL CONFERENCE (WFC)

North

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

Midwest

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

St. Louis Rams

Tennessee Titans

Southwest

Arizona Cardinals

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

New Orleans Saints

Pacific

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

YOZXkBG.png?1

Then you would break up a multitude of 50-year-old rivalries in a league where travel problems are nonexistent.

I don't think travel problems are non-existent, given what happened during the blizzard this year.

An East-West alignment with the conferences intact would make the most sense to me, while still maintaining traditional rivalries as much as possible.

Like, keep Dallas in the NFC, but stick them in the South or West, and just schedule them to meet the Giants, Eagles and Skins every year as in-conference rivals.

As well, if every team wants to see every other team at some point, they will have to travel coast-to-coast, so it's going to happen regardless of how divisions are aligned. (Wow, did I just kick myself on that one?)

Edited by Magnus

Then you would break up a multitude of 50-year-old rivalries in a league where travel problems are nonexistent.

I don't think travel problems are non-existent, given what happened during the blizzard this year.

An East-West alignment with the conferences intact would make the most sense to me, while still maintaining traditional rivalries as much as possible.

Like, keep Dallas in the NFC, but stick them in the South or West, and just schedule them to meet the Giants, Eagles and Skins every year as in-conference rivals.

As well, if every team wants to see every other team at some point, they will have to travel coast-to-coast, so it's going to happen regardless of how divisions are aligned. (Wow, did I just kick myself on that one?)

What did we just say about overreacting to freak occurrences?!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Contracted

Los Angeles Clippers*

The Clippers are 15th in attendance in the whole NBA right now. That's better than the Nuggets, Pistons, Rockets, Raptors, Bucks, Hawks, Sixers, and Nets, all of whom you're keeping around in your ideal NBA. I'm all for contracting some teams, but let's be realistic - the Clippers are doing surprisingly well at the box office for a team that has always been the second team in their market, with a dreadful history to boot.

/homer rant

I think he like LeBron) took the last 8 teams CURRENTLY with the worst records and contracted them, as if that's the basis for such an action. He didn't seem to figure in attendance, revenue or overall financial stability of the the franchises he dropped.

The Raptors were not eliminated because they are the only team in Canada and Toronto has the potentiality to be nearly as big of a market as New York and LA.

Potentiality? :therock:

Basketball is never going to be the dominant sport in Toronto.

Here are the attendance figures for the five major sports in Toronto

Toronto Maple Leafs- 19,296 102.6% capacity

Toronto FC- 20,453 93.06% capacity

Toronto Raptors- 16,493 83.3% capacity

Toronto Argonauts- 22,237 71.6% capacity

Toronto Blue Jays- 20,068 39.9% capacity

The only major sports team in Toronto that averaged less people per game was the Toronto Rock (NLL) at approx 13,000

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I believe the "travel problems" he is referring to are the ones that teams in other sports face, where it would be unrealistic to play a game in NY on Tuesday and then a game in LA on Wednesday. In the NFL, you get several days to go home (or stay home), get your practice in, then go fly somewhere to play. The East/West thing would do nothing to prevent travel issues due to "acts of god / fictitious overlord".

As for the other reason why the East/West thing wouldn't work, the whole reason for the current AFC/NFC alignment is so the league can sell packages to multiple networks. Think FOX would want the "Western" package, when NY(x2), Chicago, Philadelphia, and Washington are in the East? They'd have to totally change the way they sell these things, which could create some issues. You'd have "network conferences" to go along with the actual "football conferences".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I believe the "travel problems" he is referring to are the ones that teams in other sports face, where it would be unrealistic to play a game in NY on Tuesday and then a game in LA on Wednesday. In the NFL, you get several days to go home (or stay home), get your practice in, then go fly somewhere to play. The East/West thing would do nothing to prevent travel issues due to "acts of god / fictitious overlord".

Yeah. That's what meant. You can't stop weather.

As for the other reason why the East/West thing wouldn't work, the whole reason for the current AFC/NFC alignment is so the league can sell packages to multiple networks. Think FOX would want the "Western" package, when NY(x2), Chicago, Philadelphia, and Washington are in the East? They'd have to totally change the way they sell these things, which could create some issues. You'd have "network conferences" to go along with the actual "football conferences".

I don't understand why that would really be that much of a problem. Just brand it differently.

NFC Game of the Week presented by ABC, AFC Game of the Week on NBC, NFL Western Game of the Week presented by Fox, NFL Eastern Game of the Week presented by CBS.

Might be a little more work for the TV graphics personnel, but what other work would have to be added?

You're completely missing the point on the TV thing. The "package" is which markets you get a right to broadcast for. The East is a hell of a lot more valuable than the West, which is going to have something of an impact come contract negotiation time.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So split the East and West market shares then, so it's about equal.

Give each of the four networks a quarter of the games in the largest cities; don't limit the actual cities the networks can market to. I thought these were all national networks.

I get that local affiliates want territorial rights, but if it's on a nation-wide network, don't they all deserve shots at the same markets?

Say ABC gets NY/NJ/PA for weeks 1-4, NBC gets them for 5-9, CBS for 10-13, and ABC for 14-17, or something like that.

Same with the SoCal market, Texas, and Florida. Those are the big 4 states, IIRC.

So split the East and West market shares, then so it's about equal.

Give each of the four networks a quarter of the games in the largest cities.

Yeah...that's not going to work. At all.

Today, we are all otaku.