MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

49 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

Saw this park a few years back, and I left thinking it was quite generic. Had plenty of time during a rain delay to wander around and check for any interesting views. There's like one cool perch where you can catch the Capitol Building...and that's about it. From inside the park, if someone blindfolded you beforehand, you'd really have no sense that this was Washington, D.C. when you opened your eyes. Thoughts?

Sorry, I was talking about Busch in St. Louis and the giant plot of dirt we had for quite a few years.   They kept saying they wanted Ballpark Village done before the All-Star Game in 2009 and it didn't actually get done until a couple of years ago. I've never been to DC but that's really a shame.  You'd think with it being as new as it is they would've added something special to it to help it stand out.  

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

Saw this park a few years back, and I left thinking it was quite generic. Had plenty of time during a rain delay to wander around and check for any interesting views. There's like one cool perch where you can catch the Capitol Building...and that's about it. From inside the park, if someone blindfolded you beforehand, you'd really have no sense that this was Washington, D.C. when you opened your eyes. Thoughts?

NIce stadium, nice amenities, nice atmosphere...but yeah, really generic. Though not many bad seats. The huge garage as the backdrop to the left field seats is rather unremarkable.

30-45 minutes north is one of the best ballparks in the league.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, NYYNYR said:

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

NIce stadium, nice amenities, nice atmosphere...but yeah, really generic. Though not many bad seats. The huge garage as the backdrop to the left field seats is rather unremarkable.

30-45 minutes north is one of the best ballparks in the league.

The new condos will actually provide that unique level skyline that DC is known for. It's not the monument or capitol building, but that's asking too much anyway. The new building right behind the garage in the pic I posted went up last year, and there will be two new ones to the right of it that'll be mostly completed through this year and next.

lynchhalf-halfn-05-3s-201505-1.jpg

1250half-halfn-05-201705-1.jpg

westhalf-rendering-halfn-50-201512-1.jpg

5 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Marlins have the roof open today. The field and team look so much better in the natural light. Maybe this will be a more reoccurring thing with Jeter

The smaller cap logo is an improvement too. Not often you see a team wear a jersey patch that clashes with their look. The teal anniversary patch looks way out of place, but all things considered I can handle it. 

8 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Marlins have the roof open today. The field and team look so much better in the natural light. Maybe this will be a more reoccurring thing with Jeter

ESPN just had Jeter on the broadcast and he said he’d like to have the roof open as much as possible, so it looks like it will be reoccurring.

I agree that everything looks a lot better in the natural light as well.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

28 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Blue Jays added a banner for Roy Halladay.  Looks like it includes the current team logo.  Not a fan of using a logo and number font that he never used

c6d01dda-5fd3-447c-a8fb-e884c936c1cb.jpg

Yeah, I don't like that at all. Halladay was the face of the team during the 'Black Jays' era - it absolutely should've been in those colors and design.

On 3/27/2018 at 6:27 PM, daveindc said:

DZU9HDHW0AA8G1M.jpg

Speaking of views from the parks, the recession slowed development outside Nats Park

but it's finally catching up. I'm disappointed that the future buildings north of the park won't be completed by the ASG, but the view will look pretty interesting once they do go up. This pic is from today.

What a grim and hideous picture. Look at those generic midrises. The imperial capital sucks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:
On 3/27/2018 at 7:27 PM, daveindc said:

DZU9HDHW0AA8G1M.jpg

Speaking of views from the parks, the recession slowed development outside Nats Park

but it's finally catching up. I'm disappointed that the future buildings north of the park won't be completed by the ASG, but the view will look pretty interesting once they do go up. This pic is from today.

What a grim and hideous picture. Look at those generic midrises. The imperial capital sucks.

The imperial capital is a great bicycling city.

And the ballpark looks pretty nice from the outside.

Nationals_Park.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Nats Park was a huge missed opportunity. They got it right by having an exterior that wasn't red brick and green steel, because that doesn't fit DC, but they also could have diverted from convention by having perfectly symmetrical and curvilinear outfield dimensions, rather than random jagged angles all over the place. And they could have eschewed dark green altogether but still used it on the outfield walls when they could have used navy blue or grey to go with the rest of the park. And there had to have been a more interesting name than "Nationals Park."

On 3/25/2018 at 5:16 PM, rxmc89 said:

I don’t think so.  I think it makes the outside of the stadium look uglier to have the roof looming over the 1st or 3rd base side of the stadium.  Those parts are usually the best looking parts of the ballpark and serve as the “front” and the parts that they show most often in pictures and on TV, so having the roof there would ruin it. The outfield is usually the less aesthetically pleasing part of a stadium so I think it’s better to have to roof there.  It also depends on the the layout and where the views are.  If there are good views throughout the whole outfield then you wouldn’t want the roof blocking them.  But if there’s nothing to see in right field then I think it’s best to put the roof there.

Call me crazy, but if you’re prioritizing the curb appeal and TV shots of your stadium over the views for the people who actually pay to go inside, you might be doing it wrong. :lol:

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The stone on the outside was supposed to be a nod to the Capital and the other legislative buildings in DC... But they went cheap on the stone because it was built when the recession hit. So as a result they didn't get the look they were going for. Or so that's what a friend told me

If I recall correctly, the garages were also alledegedly going to be temporary. Just for a few years until they could improve parking in the area, and then TBD would take their place. I don't think that's gonna happen. 

Also, there was supposed to be retail all along the base of the park, but that never came to fruition. So if you walk around the outside of the park, you'll see where it looks like shops/restaurants were supposed to go, but evidently never will. It's a little out of the way in my opinion. The area is growing as evidenced by the 33 cranes, but I don't think it'll ever end up like the area around Verizon Center like they imagined. 

Overall, it's not a bad park. But it's not memorable by any means. 

90758391980.gif

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The imperial capital is a great bicycling city.

And the ballpark looks pretty nice from the outside.

Nationals_Park.jpg

Just a quick note...this entrance would be far more appreciated if 90% of the people attending walked by it (or went through those doors). But they don't. Instead, the biggest entrance/exit points are in the outfield  Out of about 12 or 15 games I've been to, only entered the home plate gate once. You barely even see this side of the park if you're coming in from the Metro or I-695.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Nats Park was a huge missed opportunity. They got it right by having an exterior that wasn't red brick and green steel, because that doesn't fit DC, but they also could have diverted from convention by having perfectly symmetrical and curvilinear outfield dimensions, rather than random jagged angles all over the place. And they could have eschewed dark green altogether but still used it on the outfield walls when they could have used navy blue or grey to go with the rest of the park. And there had to have been a more interesting name than "Nationals Park."

In a world where we have Guaranteed Rate Field and Globe Life Park, I appreciate the simplicity of the name Nationals Park. 

1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

In a world where we have Guaranteed Rate Field and Globe Life Park, I appreciate the simplicity of the name Nationals Park. 

But our world also has Fenway Park and Camden Yards, so if you can't sell the name, why not come up with something better?

Archived