Football Fields with Baseball Diamonds

ltjets21

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I can also see why they built them back then as a way to cut cost. No,  it didn't have the best results, but they served their purpose at that time. IMO, I dont see why stadiums have to built purposely for each and every sport, especially when cities, businesses, etc., are so strapped for money. But hey it doesnt matter just let the people foot the bill! Like most owners do.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/26/2020 at 10:52 PM, Tygers09 said:

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I can also see why they built them back then as a way to cut cost. No,  it didn't have the best results, but they served their purpose at that time. IMO, I dont see why stadiums have to built purposely for each and every sport, especially when cities, businesses, etc., are so strapped for money. But hey it doesnt matter just let the people foot the bill! Like most owners do.

No to mention that when most of them were built, cities weren't like today's 'urban playgrounds' filled with old warehouses converted into expensive lofts, ax throwing businesses, artisan pickle shops, and businesses and residents lined up and clamoring to move in and experience 'city life'. The renaissance of the urban core in America is a relatively new phenomenon over the past 10-20 years. During the late 60's and early 70s was when lots of cities experienced white flight when white residents left for the suburbs, destroying cities' tax bases. Building two stadiums in the 60s or 70s would've been a huge expense for any city surrounded by crumbing infrastructure and evaporating tax base.

On 6/30/2020 at 11:31 PM, schlim said:

During the late 60's and early 70s was when lots of cities experienced white flight when white residents left for the suburbs, destroying cities' tax bases. Building two stadiums in the 60s or 70s would've been a huge expense for any city surrounded by crumbing infrastructure and evaporating tax base.

Except of course Boston, Chicago, the Bronx, etc. saw just as much white flight as anyplace else and still somehow managed to keep their old baseball stadiums around. It was pretty well recognized at the time that places like Riverfront and Three Rivers were ugly and ill-suited for sports, but there wasn't enough local will to keep Crosby^H^H^HCrosley or Forbes Fields around because Cincinnati and Pittsburgh wanted something new and state of the art - even if it sucked, which fans and players quickly realized that it did. 

The only people who benefitted from giant cookie cutter multipurpose stadiums were the TV networks. Not fans, not players, and definitely not the cities they were located in.

On 6/26/2020 at 8:52 PM, Tygers09 said:

The teams should pay for their new stadiums themselves, but it's pretty obvious as to why teams, especially baseball teams, would want their own purposely built stadiums.  Sight lines in shared stadiums can be horrible, especially for baseball.  Baseball teams like to play on real grass and sharing a stadium with a football would mean the turf can get chewed up pretty badly.

1 hour ago, M4One said:

The teams should pay for their new stadiums themselves, but it's pretty obvious as to why teams, especially baseball teams, would want their own purposely built stadiums.  Sight lines in shared stadiums can be horrible, especially for baseball.  Baseball teams like to play on real grass and sharing a stadium with a football would mean the turf can get chewed up pretty badly.

Red McCombs, owned the Minnesota Vikings back in the late 90s/ early 2000s, went to then Governor Jesse Ventura, and asked for the State to help build him a new stadium. Jesse said no, his suggestion? You have a 60,000 seat stadium, you sell out all 8 home games and raise your tickets prices by $12.  In about 5-8 yrs, you'll have the money to build yourself a new stadium. There's probably one owner who did that, I think his last name is Jones and he has a team in Dallas??? 

8 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Red McCombs, owned the Minnesota Vikings back in the late 90s/ early 2000s, went to then Governor Jesse Ventura, and asked for the State to help build him a new stadium. Jesse said no, his suggestion? You have a 60,000 seat stadium, you sell out all 8 home games and raise your tickets prices by $12.  In about 5-8 yrs, you'll have the money to build yourself a new stadium. There's probably one owner who did that, I think his last name is Jones and he has a team in Dallas??? 

That’s Less than 50 million, when stadiums cost over a billion dollars.

The thing that is so irritating and pathetic is that the bar is set so high because no one is truely satisified. The city has to have a population of 1 million plus, the stadium has to cost billion dollars. Because not only does the owner expect the public or government to fund the stadium because he she is so cheap;  they expect the people to pay outrageous ticket prices for not only a seat but for a suites as well at the Super Bowl, also lets hike the prices on concessions (drinks, food and merchandise). When will it end? IT WONT why?? Because everyone from the owner down to fan has the mentality of a teenager with their first paycheck, rather than save their money, they go waste it. Then they complain they have no money. It's ridiculous. But hey it CAPITIALISM at its best!

16 hours ago, M4One said:

And thats the difference between baseball and football. Baseball players want this nice grass, pristine baseball field. And football players could care less if it's grass or turf as long as they have a field to play on, with the exception is it's rough sport and concussions are part of the game, and everyone is trying to make it safer, it has been an ongoing issue and synthetic turf isn't helping.

9 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

And thats the difference between baseball and football. Baseball players want this nice grass, pristine baseball field. And football players could care less if it's grass or turf as long as they have a field to play on, with the exception is it's rough sport and concussions are part of the game, and everyone is trying to make it safer, it has been an ongoing issue and synthetic turf isn't helping.

Football cares too, many injuries were caused by multipurpose stadiums either from playing on essentially carpeted concrete or the inconsistent playing surface on the base paths and the mound replacements. Also there was the issue of seams that actually cancelled a preseason game where there was video of a Baltimore coach literally able to put his entire foot between a seam.

12 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Football players care a lot about the condition of the turf - and not just because of concussions.

Ask Wendell Davis if he "just wants to have a field to play on".  Maybe ask Michael Irvin too, once he's done getting covid from blowing lines off a non-masked prostitute's breasts.  Ask anyone involved in the Mexico game if players just want a field.  Ask anyone who got their foot caught in a seam - and not just that one game when Baltimore got the game at the Vet cancelled.

EDIT: can't embed but just go to 9:13.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, dont care said:

Because they shared the stadium with the marlins duh

but its interesting they covered up the foul territory warning track in the endzone but not the base paths in the redzone part of the field. I know that would be a lot of dirt to cover, but still.

You sure it’s turf and not just painted dirt?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived