What do we know about the new Dolphins set?

ramsjetsthunder

5 minutes ago, Brown1 said:

I said the Penguins use the 2s. That’s the whole original point. Now I have a question. If I guy on the Penguin was wearing number 2 during a game, how many slanted 2s would he have visible on his uniform? Uniform being entirely from socks to helmets. You would be referring to the jersey element of the uniform. Usually teams match fonts on helmets and jerseys. The Penguins do not. The Pittsburgh Penguins use slanted 2s. I mean I have eyes.

aEKis_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fid

Actually, please don’t. We’re all tired of it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

aEKis_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fid

Actually, please don’t. We’re all tired of it.

Every point you are making could be turned back towards yourself. I just want to make that clear. I made the original point. How can I not understand my own point. I said the Penguins uses slanted 2s and they do. That’s where this should have ended. You keep saying that I’m the one who is stretching it to make it fit, but I MADE THE ORIGINAL POINT. Plus the fact they do use slanted 2s. What don’t you understand?

4 minutes ago, Brown1 said:

Every point you are making could be turned back towards yourself. I just want to make that clear. I made the original point. How can I not understand my own point. I said the Penguins uses slanted 2s and they do. That’s where this should have ended. You keep saying that I’m the one who is stretching it to make it fit, but I MADE THE ORIGINAL POINT. Plus the fact they do use slanted 2s. What don’t you understand?

I. Do. Understand. As you SO ELOQUENTLY stated, you made the original point. I misinterpreted what you meant. We both shared our opinions (you think helmet decals are part of a team’s typographic system; I do not necessarily think so). We have to agree to disagree on the topic. Let it go.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

9 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I. Do. Understand. As you SO ELOQUENTLY stated, you made the original point. I misinterpreted what you meant. We both shared our opinions (you think helmet decals are part of a team’s typographic system; I do not necessarily think so). We have to agree to disagree on the topic. Let it go.

Ok the Penguins don’t use slanted 2s. I’ll pretend it’s just not there on the helmet. I’m done.911153280-minnesota-wild-v-pittsburgh-pe

To whom it may concern how did Andrew not pick a fight with me over semantics? How is that not a warning for the both of us? I just want to understand how this works for real...he could have stopped at any time....

I don't know if this will be found helpful or not, but the issue here seems to be the meaning behind the terminology.. A team's use of something does not necessarily qualify that as part of a team's official brand identity.. For example, grey is not (as far as I can tell) an official color of the Arizona Cardinals.. However, they DO use grey facemasks.. Should grey be considered an official team color? I don't think so, but maybe..

So, while the Penguins DO use slanted 2's, the "Penguins 2's" are not slanted.. (Assuming of course, that they only lay claim to one official number font)..

With the helmets, if it's a case where there's a custom font, then it has to be considered part of their typography.  I'd consider the Penguins 2 part of their typography even if it isn't "official".

If it's just a standard block something that looks "equipmenty" (like the Cowboys  dymo label helmet stickers or sharpie on masking tape) then I wouldn't worry about it.  

Someone once made the point that there's a distinction between equipment and uniform.  Once there's a custom mark on it, it's part of the uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/13/2018 at 2:34 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Where to begin...

ajunk1_zpsdu2wzrga.png

The biggest eyesore to me is the weird mix of rounded corners and squared corners.  Just so random... it seems to be one of those examples of a design being created just because you can.

It always seemed to me that they took the most care in making sure 1 and 7 looked good because the 2 most important players at the time of the new jersey were Ryan Tannehill "17" and Mike Wallace "11" (their top free agent signing that year) (although they likely had the font set long before Wallace was signed)

The jerseys with 1s and 7s always looked best. I didn't notice until just now how bad the 3, 5 and 8 are...

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

With the helmets, if it's a case where there's a custom font, then it has to be considered part of their typography.  I'd consider the Penguins 2 part of their typography even if it isn't "official".

If it's just a standard block something that looks "equipmenty" (like the Cowboys  dymo label helmet stickers or sharpie on masking tape) then I wouldn't worry about it.  

Someone once made the point that there's a distinction between equipment and uniform.  Once there's a custom mark on it, it's part of the uniform.

Like team logos on footballs?

1 hour ago, Brown1 said:

To whom it may concern how did Andrew not pick a fight with me over semantics? How is that not a warning for the both of us? I just want to understand how this works for real...he could have stopped at any time....

It just sounds like you’re being overly pedantic over what AH meant by “old font.” Teams usually use the same font across their entire uniform at a single time, so when they change the font of the number on the jersey (which is the most notable spot for a font to be used) but not the tiny one on the helmet (which is barely noticeable), the trained eye would certainly read that the helmet is stuck using the “old font” while the jerseys get the “current font.” Attempting to challenge that was a confusing move and just made things weird.

56 minutes ago, Skape7 said:

It always seemed to me that they took the most care in making sure 1 and 7 looked good because the 2 most important players at the time of the new jersey were Ryan Tannehill "17" and Mike Wallace "11" (their top free agent signing that year) (although they likely had the font set long before Wallace was signed)

The jerseys with 1s and 7s always looked best. I didn't notice until just now how bad the 3, 5 and 8 are...

Which is troubling, because the 1 and the 7, at least to me, are pretty bad as well. The only number that looks decent on its own is the zero. The 6 and 9 are strange, but they at least follow a logical design parameter and look like they were built to coordinate with each other. It pretty much goes off the rails after that.

Regarding “the incident,” (speaking to everyone else), let’s just let that go. I accept that I could have handled that situation better, and I feel bad for contributing to derailing two threads. No one wants to poke that bear again.

1 hour ago, Gupti said:

It just sounds like you’re being overly pedantic over what AH meant by “old font.” Teams usually use the same font across their entire uniform at a single time, so when they change the font of the number on the jersey (which is the most notable spot for a font to be used) but not the tiny one on the helmet (which is barely noticeable), the trained eye would certainly read that the helmet is stuck using the “old font” while the jerseys get the “current font.” Attempting to challenge that was a confusing move and just made things weird.

I didnt challenge it. I made the original point that the Penguins use slanted 2s which is true. Andrew brought the guff. Also want to state nothing I’ve posted is false. I don’t really see how backing up the truth and reality of the situation is brought on as so hostile.

9 hours ago, Brown1 said:

I didnt challenge it. I made the original point that the Penguins use slanted 2s which is true. Andrew brought the guff. Also want to state nothing I’ve posted is false. I don’t really see how backing up the truth and reality of the situation is brought on as so hostile.

The issue is that the two of you are actually having two separate arguments.. AW's argument was referring to the 2's used in the team's official number font, which are not slanted.. Your argument was that they use slanted 2's.. 

Is it true that they use slanted 2's? Yes..

Is it true that the Penguins' number font does not have a slanted 2? Also, Yes..

So, you are both correctly conveying accurate information in a manner that supports your own version of the argument, so there's no ground to be gained.. 

I'm as guilty as anyone of nitpicking a small inaccuracy to poke at someone's post, but it's never more than that.. You've stuck to your guns and defended yourself based on the fact that everything you've posted is true, but going around picking fights based on leftover relics in the equipment room is just not good form.. You could've called AW out on his inaccuracy, then graciously bowed out of the argument by playing nice, and we'd all respect you a lot more and admire your knowledge of uniform details.. Currently, it just feels like you're a big fan of "Ha, GOTCHA!" moments.. Which nobody likes..

21 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The issue is that the two of you are actually having two separate arguments.. AW's argument was referring to the 2's used in the team's official number font, which are not slanted.. Your argument was that they use slanted 2's.. 

Is it true that they use slanted 2's? Yes..

Is it true that the Penguins' number font does not have a slanted 2? Also, Yes..

So, you are both correctly conveying accurate information in a manner that supports your own version of the argument, so there's no ground to be gained.. 

I'm as guilty as anyone of nitpicking a small inaccuracy to poke at someone's post, but it's never more than that.. You've stuck to your guns and defended yourself based on the fact that everything you've posted is true, but going around picking fights based on leftover relics in the equipment room is just not good form.. You could've called AW out on his inaccuracy, then graciously bowed out of the argument by playing nice, and we'd all respect you a lot more and admire your knowledge of uniform details.. Currently, it just feels like you're a big fan of "Ha, GOTCHA!" moments.. Which nobody likes..

So it’s ok for Andrew but it’s not ok for me to defend myself? Even when I’m right? That’s what you’re saying....

10 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Which is troubling, because the 1 and the 7, at least to me, are pretty bad as well. The only number that looks decent on its own is the zero.

That was my first reaction to the suggestion that the 1 and 7 were specially designed.  They're arguably the worst in the set - especitally the 7.  

I don't buy for a second that an NFL team would design a font or any aspect of a uniform around a specific player, considering careers can be over in a flash, players can decline overnight, or (at least in 2018) your star player can be charged with PED use or even arrested before you know it.  

Regarding the 0 - that number violates the overall principle of the design, which is that the corners on the top left side are round while they're angled on the right.  It's ironic that the 0 and 8 probably look the best, and they're the two that violate the rules.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived