Georgia Tech tweaks colors and adds new wordmark ahead of switch to Adidas

Georgia Tech tweaks colors and adds new wordmark ahead of switch to Adidas

April 21, 2018 - 22:08 PM

On Friday, Georgia Tech’s football team had their annual Spring game and it was notable for a couple of reasons. While the athletic program has yet to unveil their new Adidas uniforms (since they have to wait until the Spring […]

Read More...

15 minutes ago, Esco said:

I hate when they don’t make the word mark the same as the logo 

I think the monogram could have become a really cool wordmark. I also think it could have used a nice cleanup; the flat spot on the bottom of the G has always bugged me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Georgia Tech has one of the strangest identities I can think of. If you’re going to own gold as a primary color I really wish you’d lean in the direction of yellow rather than sand. But hardly anyone does that.

Plus they’ve rarely had a consistent identity in terms of number font, wordmark, etc. Maybe this will be the start.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

I just noticed for the first time that the left upper portion of the T is much longer than the right upper portion. I understand it has to accommodate the G, but oh my goodness is that hard to ignore now. It should mirror the left side and be equal on both sides. Yikes. That thing needed more than a retouch. The bottom of the G also looks terrible like AH noted. Wow.

52 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I just noticed for the first time that the left upper portion of the T is much longer than the right upper portion. I understand it has to accommodate the G, but oh my goodness is that hard to ignore now. It should mirror the left side and be equal on both sides. Yikes. That thing needed more than a retouch. The bottom of the G also looks terrible like AH noted. Wow.

I mean, that was basically my experience.

"Hey, they did a nice job cleannnnOOOOOMG WHY DID THEY DO THAT?!?!"

16 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Great!  Add this to my "Now I can't unsee it!" list.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The weird thing is that the helmet logo and the official GT logo have been different for quite some time.

Notice the differences between the logo above ^^^ and the logos below, particularly in the down stroke of the serif on the G, the width of the top of the T, and the inner parts of the T's down stroke-serifs (the logo angles them outward, the helmet has the inner strokes of the serifs as vertical).

georgia-tech.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

852472764-pittsburgh-v-georgia-tech.jpg.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 4/21/2018 at 10:25 PM, Esco said:

I hate when they don’t make the word mark the same as the logo 

I don't. 

Some lettermarks don't work in the context of a full word, they are designed to work on their own.  Some of the best, indeed.

500px-Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png300px-Yankees_logo.svg.png

325px-New_York_Mets_Insignia.svg.png 500px-Chicago_Bears_logo.svg.png

I don't want anyone to force a font that would incorporate these letterforms into a wordmark.

45 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I don't. 

Some lettermarks don't work in the context of a full word, they are designed to work on their own.  Some of the best, indeed.

500px-Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png300px-Yankees_logo.svg.png

325px-New_York_Mets_Insignia.svg.png 500px-Chicago_Bears_logo.svg.png

I don't want anyone to force a font that would incorporate these letterforms into a wordmark.

But ---- I always liked the Mets "New York" jerseys in this font.

It's where I sit.

7 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

But ---- I always liked the Mets "New York" jerseys in this font.

The Mets haven't used a wordmark with those letters.  They've used something similar, but not the actual letters.  Because what works in a logo doesn't always work in a wordmark.

ofm3thffrxxr0oifej357wa5y.png

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The Mets haven't used a wordmark with those letters.  They've used something similar, but not the actual letters.  Because what works in a logo doesn't always work in a wordmark.

ofm3thffrxxr0oifej357wa5y.png

Thanks - I was lazy and didn't look it up. I actually figured it was just similar and not the same.

Point being - I agree with what you said and should have left it at that :-)

It's where I sit.

I have not really ever looked to closely at the GT logo and now that I am...it's pretty flawed. The the primary and helmet logo have "G"s that look like "C"s or almost like party-obscured horseshoes.

The asymmetric "T" on the primary is bad but even on the helmet, you have a very long "crossbar" and a stumpy vertical line.  It should probably be lower.

To me though, I think they just wanted a "GT" logo so badly they were willing to make it ind of a mess.  The more I stare at it the more it stops looking like a "GT." And despite the issues pointed out with the "T," I think it's the "C" that's a bigger negative.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I have not really ever looked to closely at the GT logo and now that I am...it's pretty flawed. The the primary and helmet logo have "G"s that look like "C"s or almost like party-obscured horseshoes.

The asymmetric "T" on the primary is bad but even on the helmet, you have a very long "crossbar" and a stumpy vertical line.  I should probably be lower.

To me though, I think they just wanted a "GT" logo so badly they were willing to make it ind of a mess.  The more I stare at it the more it stops looking like a "GT." And despite the issues pointed out with the "T," I think it's the "C" that's a bigger negative.

I will second all of this.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived