AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

I'm glad Bridgeport went to this look full-time. Hard to believe this ownership actually did it, but I had heard the reception of doing it last season was pretty overwhelmingly positive.

Abbotsford made the right call, and I believe their Johnny sweaters have sold well, even in spite of that godawful A design on the sleeve. Farm teams with the same nickname as the parent should absolutely be leaning into the more fun parts of identity history.

• Like 5

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

FISHSTICKS IS BACK, BABY!!

• Like 2
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

25 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Inaugural uniforms for ECHL's Tahoe Knight Monsters:

featured-905-9.jpg

That identity is still just so random. Like you have the Golden Knights... then the Silver Knights... and then Knight Monsters. Either go with Bronze Knights or just don't do the Knight mesh-up at all. This name is dumb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dynasty said:

That identity is still just so random. Like you have the Golden Knights... then the Silver Knights... and then Knight Monsters. Either go with Bronze Knights or just don't do the Knight mesh-up at all. This name is dumb.

Well, minor league team names in general are dumb, so I can give them a pass there.

But, Knight Monsters is an odd choice, mainly because ... don't the knights fight the monsters? Night Monsters makes more sense. But, Knight Monsters? Yeah, the more I am writing about the name, the more I hate it.

Burn it.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I guess "Night Knights" would've made too much sense...

• LOL 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

To be fair, this is a league with teams called the Everblades, Swamp Rabbits, Ghost Pirates, and Solar Bears. Knight Monsters doesn't seem that out of place.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

To be fair, this is a league with teams called the Everblades, Swamp Rabbits, Ghost Pirates, and Solar Bears. Knight Monsters doesn't seem that out of place.

Hey hey hey...leave the Everblades out of this. That's one of the cleverest nicknames of all time! 😁

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Also, Ghost Pirates is a reference to those haunted pirate ships you see in stories, cartoons, and other pop culture, while Solar Bears is a clear play on Polar Bears but because they play in Florida and away from the polar region.

Knight Monsters just sounds like something completely made up to tie into the Golden Knights affiliation, which could've easily been doable with Bronze Knights but I digress.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

They also play in a league called the East Coast Hockey League, but play on the west coast, but I also disgress. 😂

As I was corrected when I mistakenly put "East Coast Hockey League" in a story on the mothership, "While this was the name of the League from its inception in 1988 through the end of the 2002-03 season, the name was changed to just ECHL on May 19, 2003 when the League welcomed seven expansion teams in the western United States." The fact this still hasn't gotten across 20+ years later maybe says something about their PR efforts?

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

As I was corrected when I mistakenly put "East Coast Hockey League" in a story on the mothership, "While this was the name of the League from its inception in 1988 through the end of the 2002-03 season, the name was changed to just ECHL on May 19, 2003 when the League welcomed seven expansion teams in the western United States." The fact this still hasn't gotten across 20+ years later maybe says something about their PR efforts?

Meh, if they wanted people to not call it the East Coast Hockey League, they would have replaced those words in the acronym, or come up with a new name altogether.  Changing it to just the acronym was a lazy move, and it makes no sense, because everyone knows what it stands for.

• Like 4

Someone here called it the Entire Country Hockey League. I like "the Etch" given its etch-a-sketch alignment.

Solar Bears and Everblades are clever names with clever logos and shouldn't be included in that list with the other stupid frankennames.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If they’re going with “Knight Monsters” at least do the bare minimum and slap some armor on Nessie. Then you at least have the convoluted excuse that it’s a monster… that’s also a knight.

VmWIn6B.png

On 12/2/2023 at 2:20 PM, monkeypower said:

Because it's a bold move unofficially naming your brand new minor league team after a professional team you currently have no affiliation with. Plus, a knight monster isn't a thing and since they got too cute with the name trying to force a connection, it also doesn't follow the naming convention of using an adjective to further describe a team name.

A swamp rabbit is a real animal while a ghost pirate and a solar bear are obvious plays on tangible things and all three of those teams follow the "adjective-name" convention as well. Same with the Golden Knights being the knights of gold, the Silver Knights being the knights of silver, the Sound Tigers previously being the tigers of the Sound, the Oil Kings being the kings of oil, the Wheat Kings being the kings of wheat, etc.

They are the monsters of (the) knight. What does that mean? Obviously, it's intended to be a play on Night Monsters, aka, monsters of the night, but that's not what the name is and isn't nearly as tangible of a thing like a type of knight or a king or a pirate or a bear. Night Monster sounds like someone who was terrorizing co-eds with Zodiac and BTK. Plus, the logo is a water serpent of some kind, who I don't think have ever been really associated with night when talking about animals, real or cryptid.

I'll just bump this up again about the Knight Monsters name.

deK8sJk.png

I've only just learned that the visual identity was based on Tahoe Tessie and now it all makes more sense. So I like that part but "Knight Monsters" is trying a bit too hard to force the connection. If/when the affiliation ends do they end up as the Shark Monsters or the Blue Jacket Monsters?

W133fxD.png

PotD: 24/08/2017