North American Pro Soccer 2019

Gothamite

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Absolutely nothing.

I can see the CPL wanting to have all Canadian lower-level clubs playing in its competition, not in the US minor leagues.

But the CPL won’t be near the level of MLS, and those clubs already playing in the top flight should stay there if they want.  Regardless of what internet commenters think. 

100% agreed.

A clarification point too....this is apparently what CONCACAF wants, not Canadian Soccer/ the CPL....not that the CPL would be against having those clubs come on board, i'm sure. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

100% agreed.

A clarification point too....this is apparently what CONCACAF wants, not Canadian Soccer/ the CPL....not that the CPL would be against having those clubs come on board, i'm sure. 

Sure but what does CONCACAF gain? I'm trying to think of whose pockets would get lined and even there, I've got nothing.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

7 minutes ago, Digby said:

Sure but what does CONCACAF gain? I'm trying to think of whose pockets would get lined and even there, I've got nothing.

Right, I don't think they have anything to gain.

EDIT: One thought I just had: and there is no proof to it, it's just a random thought.

The president of CONCACAF is Victor Montagliani...a Canadian.....unless he thinks it's somehow beneficial for some reason. I can't think of one.......

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

This will make me 6 of the last 11 posts. 

So I'll shut up for a bit after this but I read this just now too.....note the really small text at the end of the article

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/articles/canadian-premiere-league/concacaf-says-no-and-who-they-might-say-no-to-next-r59/ 

3 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

This will make me 6 of the last 11 posts. 

So I'll shut up for a bit after this but I read this just now too.....note the really small text at the end of the article

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/articles/canadian-premiere-league/concacaf-says-no-and-who-they-might-say-no-to-next-r59/ 

I could see MLS and Liga MX following a Nations League model that's spread out over the MLS/Liga MX seasons. The teams brought into that competition could even possibly skip US Open Cup that year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

So why didn’t the Fury want to join the CPL again? I think this is a good idea, now that Canada has it’s own league, there’s less need for clubs to piggyback off American leagues. As for the MLS clubs, I think they should move too, but CONCACAF should wait a while to put the pressure on them before the CPL has time to establish itself and build up its product to the same level as MLS, if that makes any sense.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They wanted the stability of the USL over a new start-up league.  Which is pretty understandable, especially coming from the NASL. 

And they're not ruling out joining the CPL once it proves that it's here to stay...

bYhYmxh.png

I think the endgame for the CPL is, once they're fully established and guaranteed to continue for the foreseeable future, is making a move for Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. I think they may be able to snag Montreal and/or Vancouver, but now that Toronto has a championship in MLS I doubt that they will ever leave.

ExJworW.png

3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I think the endgame for the CPL is, once they're fully established and guaranteed to continue for the foreseeable future, is making a move for Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. I think they may be able to snag Montreal and/or Vancouver, but now that Toronto has a championship in MLS I doubt that they will ever leave.

I can see Montreal jumping if any of the three do. 

I can’t see Toronto ever doing it. MLSE (ownership) has dumped a lot of money into multiple upgrades/changes/whatever you call it to BMO and has lost money on TFC to bring in names and win. They’ve made it clear they are ok with that. But all that said; I can’t see that ownership group looking for anything other than being in the best/top league. They’ve made it clear that if they have any involvement in the CPL they want TFC2 in. That won’t happen. The CPL isn’t a development league. (Nor should it be....I feel strongly about that)

I honestly have no read on Vancouver. They have done well (in different incarnations) in lower level leagues but they also (depending how how you view their history.....that’s a different conversation for a different day that we’ve already had on these boards) won at the top level.....again depending on how you look at the history. 

I guess, in summary, I don’t think that all 3 will jump. If anything I think 1 but that’s me guessing. 

Who knows what’s next for North American soccer though? Rumblings of “bigger things” seem to keep popping up. Maybe by 2030 everything we’re talking about today will seem silly compared to what actually happens. 

This is much, in my opinion, is true; we are in exciting times for the growth of the game in this part of the world. 

These rumors of Montreal Impact looking to sell or self-relegate both surprise me and don't. They've always felt like something of a small-time club since they got to MLS, despite that nice CCL run they had. Too hard for a market of Montreal's size to compete in a US league (that's not hockey)?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

16 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I'll miss the home and home, but on the whole, this is a better system that does more to reward high seeds.

I know this is kind of re-hashing a discussion we've had before, but I'm not sure I agree. If you're a top-two seed under the old system, a team has to outplay you over 180/210 minutes to knock you out of the tournament. It's that spirit of a "double chance" without the true Aussie-style bracket. Now, you can play a 34-match regular season and get trolled out of the playoffs in 90/120 minutes because weird :censored: happens in soccer sometimes.

It definitely creates an edge for the higher seeded team in any individual match, but personally, I'd rather know that an inferior team has to beat me over 180 minutes than getting them at home for just the 90.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived