buzzcut

Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

Recommended Posts

Honestly, I'm still just happy to have a home team. I grew up playing pick up games in a church parking lot because hockey's just not a thing where I come from. The nearest team was Dallas, and that was still six, seven hours away. I'm not sure if it's just the natural dislike of Texas all Oklahomans are born with or that at the time they seemed like a bunch of chumps that still managed to win but I never liked the Stars. 

 

Now that I've moved here and the Blue Jackets are just a day trip away I actually think I've enjoyed hockey more. I definitely don't feel as alone in my fandom anymore.

 

I've changed my mind. I like the Blues and Bruins in the final, with the Blues winning in six. The Bruins will drop a couple games they shouldn't and the Blues take advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

 

I'm sure they mostly are fans of all the area teams. But they're still different teams to me. I don't have a Boston fatigue the way some of you do, but I do have Patriots fatigue. Also, there are no such things as turns when it comes to championships. Nothing describes the fortunes of sports teams better than this quote from Unforgiven.

 

 

Sure there is. It's just that sports doesn't follow who's turn it is and doesn't deliver championships equitably. it would be lame if it did. 

 

It is 100% not Boston's turn. That doesn't mean those people won't get another one. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

 

Sure there is. It's just that sports doesn't follow who's turn it is and doesn't deliver championships equitably. it would be lame if it did. 

 

It is 100% not Boston's turn. That doesn't mean those people won't get another one. 

 

 

It really sounds like you agree that there are no turns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red Wolf said:

 

It really sounds like you agree that there are no turns.


No, I don't. When examining who I'd prefer to win most of the time it comes down to which team won most recently. Out of these four teams Boston won most recently, which means it's not their turn. They might still win anyways because sports. 

 

How's that not make sense? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, McCarthy said:


No, I don't. When examining who I'd prefer to win most of the time it comes down to which team won most recently. Out of these four teams Boston won most recently, which means it's not their turn. They might still win anyways because sports. 

 

How's that not make sense? 

 

Probably the part where we had different ideas of the core concept of turns and whether they really matter.

 

Anyway, go whichever team, it barely matters to me. I'd prefer Sharks, then Blues, then Canes, and then Bruins, but I won't be upset by any of the outcomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least with the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics, you can be annoyed that the teams seem to either brute-force outspend everyone (Red Sox) or outmaneuver everyone in ways that shouldn't be possible in a fair and just world (the Red Sox' reliable farm system, the Patriots making stars out of nobodies, the buy-in on the Patriots' sociopathic organizational culture, the Patriots actually cheating, every trade in Boston Celtics history). The Bruins don't seem to exist on another plane the way the other teams do. If anything, they're dumber than the average team. Anything they've done since 2013 has been a small handful of supernatural guys willing a bunch of dopes, both on the ice and in the front office, to modest success in spite of themselves. They're owned by the real-life Mr. Burns who everyone at least has the good sense to hate instead of doing the ~MISTAH~ Kraft garbage that Pats fans do.

 

Let me guess: that just makes them worse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

 

Probably the part where we had different ideas of the core concept of turns and whether they really matter.

 

 

It's a figure of speech. Obviously it doesn't matter whose turn it is, but for myself most of the time I'm going to pull for the teams and fans who haven't won as recently because it's their turn. The Bruins have won most recently so it's not their turn. 

 

 

24 minutes ago, the admiral said:

At least with the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics, you can be annoyed that the teams seem to either brute-force outspend everyone (Red Sox) or outmaneuver everyone in ways that shouldn't be possible in a fair and just world (the Red Sox' reliable farm system, the Patriots making stars out of nobodies, the buy-in on the Patriots' sociopathic organizational culture, the Patriots actually cheating, every trade in Boston Celtics history). The Bruins don't seem to exist on another plane the way the other teams do. If anything, they're dumber than the average team. Anything they've done since 2013 has been a small handful of supernatural guys willing a bunch of dopes, both on the ice and in the front office, to modest success in spite of themselves. They're owned by the real-life Mr. Burns who everyone at least has the good sense to hate instead of doing the ~MISTAH~ Kraft garbage that Pats fans do.

 

Let me guess: that just makes them worse!

 

A. An average Bruins fan picked out of a crowd in Boston is most likely going to be a Pats fan in the fall and a Red Sox fan in the summer. They are mostly the same people. I know there's Bruins fans in Boston who only care about the Bruins and if they happen to catch heat in the collateral damage of Boston hate then, sorry, but I also don't feel that bad because 2011 is more recent than never. 

 

B. yes, being owned by Jeremy Jacobs make them more unlikable. I forgot about him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, I'm pissed that Columbus lost too, but if anyone's going to beat the meme team and shut up their awful mouthy fans, it's going to be the one with two virtually unanimous Hall of Famers, so at least there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Look, I'm pissed that Columbus lost too, but if anyone's going to beat the meme team and shut up their awful mouthy fans, it's going to be the one with two virtually unanimous Hall of Famers, so at least there's that.

:censored: the Bruins, go West. The East can go die in a fire this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carolina still hasn't announced who will be starting in goal tonight. I would think Mrazek would be the guy if he is healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just like that, the Bruins are steamrolling over the Hurricanes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carolina committing alot of completely unnecessary penalties in this third period. We’re not going to beat Boston if we’re giving them PP opportunities like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

And just like that, the Bruins are steamrolling over the Hurricanes.

 

Total humiliation. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, McCarthy said:

 

A. It's a figure of speech. Obviously it doesn't matter whose turn it is, but for myself most of the time I'm going to pull for the teams and fans who haven't won as recently because it's their turn. The Bruins have won most recently so it's not their turn. 

 

B. yes, being owned by Jeremy Jacobs make them more unlikable. I forgot about him. 

 

A. I think the majority of us do this, unless of course there's an underlying hatred of a team. Now in this situation who are you rooting for? Discarding the Bruins already, the remaining 3 have all had levels of success in every major sport over the last decade+, there's no real city in need of a championship.

 

B. Yeah, Jacobs is an a-hole of the highest order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, speedy said:

 

A. I think the majority of us do this, unless of course there's an underlying hatred of a team. Now in this situation who are you rooting for? Discarding the Bruins already, the remaining 3 have all had levels of success in every major sport over the last decade+, there's no real city in need of a championship.

 

B. Yeah, Jacobs is an a-hole of the highest order.

 

Overall I’m pulling for Joe Thornton. I watched the game last night and found myself pulling for the Bruins because the Hurricanes irk me for reasons that have nothing to do with Don Cherry or the storm surge stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

 

Overall I’m pulling for Joe Thornton. I watched the game last night and found myself pulling for the Bruins because the Hurricanes irk me for reasons that have nothing to do with Don Cherry or the storm surge stuff. 

 

Yeah, it's tough not to root for Joe.

 

What is it about Carolina? This has nothing to do with the fact that the Bruins are playing them, but I can't stand them either. I think for me it's the narrative that Raleigh and the Carolinas actually give 2 craps about this franchise - NBC is really pushing it. It's also Dougie Hamilton's face, it's just so punchable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, speedy said:

 

Yeah, it's tough not to root for Joe.

 

It’s easy. He’s a low-key dirty player who has built up a bit of a reputation (ask @the admiral).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

It’s easy. He’s a low-key dirty player who has built up a bit of a reputation (ask @the admiral).

 

At the end of the day 90% of this league is low-key dirty. Anyone who's played 20 years in a league without winning a championship should be rooted for unless you're Marty McSorley levels of dirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, speedy said:

What is it about Carolina? This has nothing to do with the fact that the Bruins are playing them, but I can't stand them either. I think for me it's the narrative that Raleigh and the Carolinas actually give 2 craps about this franchise - NBC is really pushing it.

I found myself getting really irritated by the Canes too at the end of the first round. All of the sudden their home ice advantage looked unstoppable, it was jet-engine levels of loud, but they can’t pull in decent attendance for the regular season? Of course an arena will be louder during the playoffs - but this is the same time whose lack of attendance has put them front and center of any and all relocation talks for as long as I’ve been a hockey fan (2011). It’s almost like the whole town is bandwagon fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admittedly, Raleigh is no different than any other southern hockey market. The fans show up when the team is good, and they show up big. I've lived in Nashville for the last five years, so I was here when the Predators made their run to the Finals. Before 2017 I was able to buy lower level tickets for $35. Now it is difficult to find nosebleeds for less than $100. You didn't see anyone wearing Preds gear when you went out. Now you see just as much Preds gear as you do Vols. Raleigh was the same way from what I remember living in that area as a kid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.