MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

Crap - sorry just realized that was in the wrong thread.  My bad.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 7/11/2023 at 2:56 PM, GDAWG said:

Perhaps Dickey-Stephens Park may be an option... 🤷🏿‍♂️

• LOL 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, McCall said:

Yeah, like fans from markets other than the one they desire to move to, are gonna convince them to sell. 🙄

I can see Manfred saying "it shows how passionate Giants fans are" without acknowledging what the chant was all about or the A's fans in attendance.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sox are quietly starting to make some unconvincing noise about moving out of Comiskey or the Chicago market altogether. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/report-white-sox-are-weighing-stadium-options-with-team-saying-discussions-havent-begun/3212014/

Sick to death of hearing about Nashville. They've sniffed around or been sniffed around by the Indians, Orioles, and White Sox at this point. Another New South sprawlopolis built on tax breaks. Stay out of White Sox business. And I don't even like the Sox.

EDIT: I suppose the Brewers are probably looking at Nashville now too.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The funniest thing about Jerry casually planting this "gosh it'd be a shame to leave but" story in Crain's is not only that it drops in this back-alley abortion of a season, but comes in a stretch where the Sox have lost three of four and given up more than ten runs in each of the losses. Add that on to everything over the last few years, and the majority of the past seventeen. Then consider that you don't have to be that old to be old enough to remember the one-two punch of Jerry at the forefront of the strike, gleefully scrapping the best season of baseball the team had played in 35 years, combined with the White Flag trade not long after. Any Sox fan who experiences the team on any level above an abstract concept should be volunteering the services of a guy they know who can get Reinsdorf a pretty sweet deal on moving trucks.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I get that the Sox have a history in Chicago and on the South Side, but no matter how bad the Cubs have been , the Sox have always played second fiddle to the Cubs in Chicago. From a business standpoint, I could understand Jerry and the Sox wanting a market for themselves. From a historic and nostalgic standpoint the Sox belong in Chicago and belong on the South Side.  I could honestly go either way here.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

A big issue is that New Comiskey/Guaranteed Rate pretty much opened immediately obsolete due to the Camden Yards renaissance and that stadium has been repeatedly tweaked for thirty years just to cling to being a top 25 ballpark.  So, I could see why there's interest in cutting bait at this point.

• Like 3

VmWIn6B.png

21 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Going back 35 years... Would the White Sox have been better off/could they have renovated Old Comiskey into a landmark-type relic, ala Fenway or Wrigley?

They would have because there was a proposal to put more of an old-fashioned stadium into a smaller space to the north of Old Comiskey, with the view from behind home plate showcasing the Chicago skyline, and a proto-"ballpark village" around it with neighborhood businesses attempting to create something a bit like what Wrigleyville was becoming at the time.

They absolutely could not do that, though, because Jerry Reinsdorf more or less plopped his failed proposal for a ballpark in Addison onto Bridgeport instead, and wanted his new park surrounded by nothing but parking lots to ensure that every dime that got spent in the immediate area was being spent inside the gates of that stadium.

• Like 5
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

I get that the Sox have a history in Chicago and on the South Side, but no matter how bad the Cubs have been , the Sox have always played second fiddle to the Cubs in Chicago. From a business standpoint, I could understand Jerry and the Sox wanting a market for themselves. From a historic and nostalgic standpoint the Sox belong in Chicago and belong on the South Side.  I could honestly go either way here.

There's no either way. The Sox have been here for nearly 125 years and they still have one of the best sweetheart stadium deals any team has.

14 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Going back 35 years... Would the White Sox have been better off/could they have renovated Old Comiskey into a landmark-type relic, ala Fenway or Wrigley?

I'm not entirely sure, but I would lean toward no. I guess the question is "when would they have made that decision?" Bill Veeck was pretty much broke, and Reinsdorf and Einhorn intentionally let the building rot out to build their case for a publicly funded replacement (among others, the Bucks would later do this with the Bradley Center), so it was in pretty poor shape. I think by the time Illinois stopped time to approve the new Comiskey, the old Comiskey was too far gone to save anyway. 

But let's say for the sake of argument that Reinsdorf didn't neglect the building. Even then, I'm not sure embracing Comiskey was ever in the cards. Everything about Reinsdorf/Einhorn's early ownership of the team was about trying to gentrify the team, from getting rid of Harry and Jimmy's broadcast to putting the games on pay TV to not letting a random dude dressed as a clown mill around the joint as an unofficial self-proclaimed mascot. (It wasn't Gacy.) And getting off 35th Street was the biggest part of that. They didn't want to be in the city anymore and designed New Comiskey to fit suburban sensibilities. Then that plan fell through and they built their suburban stadium on 35th anyway. But it's hard to lay out an alternate history where the Sox leaned into Old Comiskey's mystique. Compared with Wrigley and Fenway, I'm not sure it ever really had it.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, Dilbert said:

From a business standpoint, I could understand Jerry and the Sox wanting a market for themselves. 

The White Sox would be a much bigger deal in city of Nashville than they could ever be as "little brother" in Chicago. I don't even think a Jordan-esque dynasty could catapult the Sox over the Cubs in the longrun.

However, do I think the White Sox leave Chicago? Absolutely not. But business and popularity-wise, Nashville would be the right call. And fwiw, Nashville also keeps them in the AL Central, so they can continue their rivalries with Cleveland, Minnesota, etc.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

6uXNWAo.png