MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

The KC Chiefs and Royals stadium tax is up for vote today.  Expected to be close as polling had either side within margin of error (+/- 6 apparently).  Chiefs want to renovate Arrowhead Stadium and the Royals want to build a new ballpark downtown.  When the Royals move, Chiefs have plans to demo Kaufman stadium and do If passed, it would simply implement the same tax they've had in the area since about 2006, a sales tax that was originally used for some renovations.

If the vote fails, you'll likely see Chiefs and Royals come back in two years or so with a different proposal.

As a fan of KC sports teams, I've been really impressed with the Royals' downtown stadiums plans.  I think it would be a good thing for the team and would help them be more successful as a small-market team.  Like it or not the suburban stadium they play in is just not very compatible with modern economics.

11 minutes ago, FrutigerAero said:

The KC Chiefs and Royals stadium tax is up for vote today.  Expected to be close as polling had either side within margin of error (+/- 6 apparently).  Chiefs want to renovate Arrowhead Stadium and the Royals want to build a new ballpark downtown.  When the Royals move, Chiefs have plans to demo Kaufman stadium and do If passed, it would simply implement the same tax they've had in the area since about 2006, a sales tax that was originally used for some renovations.

If the vote fails, you'll likely see Chiefs and Royals come back in two years or so with a different proposal.

As a fan of KC sports teams, I've been really impressed with the Royals' downtown stadiums plans.  I think it would be a good thing for the team and would help them be more successful as a small-market team.  Like it or not the suburban stadium they play in is just not very compatible with modern economics.

Mike Florio, the NFL Media's top conspiracy theorist thinks that if the vote fails, the Chiefs could legit move out of KC and doubts that they would be able to get a stadium in Kansas.  

• WOAH 1

3 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Mike Florio, the NFL Media's top conspiracy theorist thinks that if the vote fails, the Chiefs could legit move out of KC and doubts that they would be able to get a stadium in Kansas.  

I don't believe this but hey he gets paid and I don't.

7 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I don't read his columns that way. He points out that it's possible, not that they could legit do it.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

3 minutes ago, FrutigerAero said:

I don't believe this but hey he gets paid and I don't.

He's known for his conspiracy theories regarding the NFL.  He cast doubt on Aaron Donald's retirement which Chris Simms called him out for it, even mocking him for "Tom Brady is not retired and is going to play for either the Dolphins or 49ers"

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I don't read his columns that way. He points out that it's possible, not that they could legit do it.

Of course it's possible, but it seems unlikely.  They will remain the Kansas City Chiefs.  Now whether or not they continue to play in Arrowhead or move across the border to Kansas or be in the suburbs is another story.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Of course it's possible, but it seems unlikely.  They will remain the Kansas City Chiefs.  Now whether or not they continue to play in Arrowhead or move across the border to Kansas or be in the suburbs is another story.  

So he didn't say 'they could legit move' right?

ETA -  Here's the wording in the post:

The polling is close. The Chiefs have made their position clear. And they’ve made it obvious that, if they don’t get what they want, they could leave Kansas City.

Some Chiefs fans shrug at that prospect, assuming the team will simply find another venue in the area. Will they? Or will they uproot the team and move it to another state, the same way the Dallas Texans were uprooted in the 1960s to become the Kansas City Chiefs?

There’s always another municipality that is willing to do what a team’s current hometown might not. The Colts found that out 40 years ago, when Indianapolis gave them what Baltimore wouldn’t. The Browns found that out 29 years ago, when Baltimore gave them what Cleveland wouldn’t. Most recently, the Raiders found that out, when Las Vegas gave them what Oakland wouldn’t.

It’s unfortunate, but it’s a reality of stadium politics. If a team’s current city won’t pay up, some other city will. Or if an owner is required to pay for his or her own stadium, maybe that stadium will be purchased in some other place.

If Kansas City won’t give the Chiefs what they want, will they move to a place that will? The first step is to see whether the voters will give them what they want.

Edited by Sec19Row53
added PFT post

It's where I sit.

On 3/9/2024 at 8:00 PM, BBTV said:

This is how I feel.  How many cities in the States would very few people have ever have a reason to hear about if not for pro sports?  Like Cincinnati for example.  Nothing at all against the fine people of Cincinnati, but if not for the Reds and Bengals, would >90% of Americans have any reason to know about it or even where it is? 

Probably true, but wouldn't that also be true of most cities, even large ones? Like if sports didn't exist I don't think I would need to know anything about Atlanta. 

On 3/9/2024 at 8:08 PM, The_Admiral said:

There's something kind of grounding about Kroger and Procter & Gamble being headquartered in li'l ol' Cincinnati and not somewhere back east, but also, Kroger is terrible.

Also GE Aerospace where a very handsome, smart, funny guy I know works. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think it's time to replace Arrowhead...but not until a plan is in place.

Yes, the Chiefs need a  new stadium, and that stadium needs to have a convertible roof (like they were trying to add to Arrowhead a while back and had been granted a conditional Super Bowl upon that condition).  KCMO sounds like just the kind of place that would make a good host for the Super Bowl, Final Four, Wrestlemania and other such events of that nature.

Which kind of roof and where it would go (on the old Kaufmann site or elsewhere) would be decided later...but a franchise of the Chiefs' caliber can't go on playing in that same stadium they've had (with very minimal changes) for 52 years.

• Dislike 3
  • Eyeroll 1

bYhYmxh.png

40 minutes ago, Burmy said:

I think it's time to replace Arrowhead...but not until a plan is in place.

Yes, the Chiefs need a  new stadium, and that stadium needs to have a convertible roof (like they were trying to add to Arrowhead a while back and had been granted a conditional Super Bowl upon that condition).  KCMO sounds like just the kind of place that would make a good host for the Super Bowl, Final Four, Wrestlemania and other such events of that nature.

Which kind of roof and where it would go (on the old Kaufmann site or elsewhere) would be decided later...but a franchise of the Chiefs' caliber can't go on playing in that same stadium they've had (with very minimal changes) for 52 years.

Why? What's wrong with the stadium? Parking is fantastic, as is the tailgating situation. The view of the game is great. Why must it be replaced?

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

58 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Why? What's wrong with the stadium? Parking is fantastic, as is the tailgating situation. The view of the game is great. Why must it be replaced?

Upgrade it with the new amenities that new stadiums have. Arrowhead is a historical stadium at this point. Acoustics are great making it one of the loudest stadiums in the world. It doesn’t need a roof, the NFL will have exactly 1 Super Bowl at most in KC if they built a new domed stadium. And the juice isn’t worth the squeeze there.

• Like 1

The vote failed 58-42, the location of the Royals proposed stadium was a disaster, tearing down blocks of existing businesses in a vibrant neighborhood that has taken 20 years to develop to this point. while a slew of empty parking lots with ample room by City Hall are vacant 6 blocks to the north.

The Chiefs proposed some milquetoast 'improvements' to Arrowhead that included better club levels and a few covered pathways in the cavernous parking lot.

The Chiefs arent leaving metro KC. If wonderrichboy Clark Hunt has the will to ask another county or state for money, that's possible, but there is no location anywhere in the US that would be more valuable to the Chiefs than KC.

The Royals are a bit more desperate. They put the Chiefs logo front and center on every press release throughout the entire process. They blamed bad batches of concrete that gave The K 'concrete cancer' (arrowhead, built in the same lot, at the same time, does not have 'concrete cancer', so apparently the Lord was watching over the Chiefs during that process.)

The Royals owner has been aching to build a downtown stadium since he bought the team, going so far as have the large construction company in town be a minority owner. The K is great, not in need of being replaced, but that boat has probably sailed.

Let Kansas pay for the stadiums. Sherman is from KC, so its not likely he'll move the team, but he could sell it to Nashville or some other similarly sized or less market, but really, he hasn't tried putting a winner together in four years.

The no vote, at the very least, forces the teams to regroup and come up with a better deal for KCMO for the 2 billion dollars they wanted for free.

The Chiefs could leave Kansas City…..Missouri. They’d go to KCK over by the Speedway at worst. As far as the Royals? Maybe they do go to Nashville? Maybe these teams actually try to come up with a competent plan that doesn’t rely on recent championships or radically change the second any resistance is encountered? Or hell, maybe don’t hire people from failed Presidential campaigns to run a campaign. Crazy idea, I know. Nah, it was the  KC Tenants who hacked this totally winnable election, not big money thinking that they didn’t have to compete and that winning was their birthright. 

Edited by Red Comet

So what exactly is going on with the Chiefs off the field?  They were ranked last in many categories by the NFLPA Report card and now stadium renovations are voted down.  At least the on the field stuff is first class

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

The Chiefs could leave Kansas City…..Missouri. They’d go to KCK over by the Speedway at worst. As far as the Royals? Maybe they do go to Nashville? Maybe these teams actually try to come up with a competent plan that doesn’t rely on recent championships or radically change the second any resistance is encountered? Or hell, maybe don’t hire people from failed Presidential campaigns to run a campaign. Crazy idea, I know. Nah, it was the  KC Tenants who hacked this totally winnable election, not big money thinking that they didn’t have to compete and that winning was their birthright. 

Right? Imagine the campaign the Royals ran and then having to blame KC Tenants for the loss? How pathetic would you have to be to do that. A poor plan is a poor plan, its just more egregious when it costs 2 billion dollars.

11 minutes ago, schlim said:

Right? Imagine the campaign the Royals ran and then having to blame KC Tenants for the loss? How pathetic would you have to be to do that. A poor plan is a poor plan, its just more egregious when it costs 2 billion dollars.

Everything I’ve seen from the Chiefs, Royals and KC Tenants makes me feel like Beavis and Butthead beat billionaires even dumber than them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So what exactly is going on with the Chiefs off the field?  They were ranked last in many categories by the NFLPA Report card and now stadium renovations are voted down.  At least the on the field stuff is first class

Here's the NFLPA survey on the Chiefs:

https://nflpa.com/kansas-city-chiefs-report-card-2024

It's where I sit.

The Royals situation is not dire.  Kauffman is a great stadium.  They are not going to relocate anywhere.

All that will happen is they come back again with a different proposal.

The catch-22 I see is that people who will say that the Royals don't deserve this because they aren't competitive, yet in my opinion they need a stadium that draws more revenue to become more competitive.

1 hour ago, FrutigerAero said:

The catch-22 I see is that people who will say that the Royals don't deserve this because they aren't competitive, yet in my opinion they need a stadium that draws more revenue to become more competitive.

They’d get more support if they made a good faith effort to compete every year, not just when they need a new stadium. Or if they just didn’t say “concrete cancer”. 

• Like 1