MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

meanwhile, Phillies managing partner said that he doesn't see why the team couldn't play in the stadium for 100 years.

Just figure out a way to build a giant umbrella and install some space heaters and I'm down.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, McCall said:

Nope, just the "Athletics" or "A's". So the AL West will have both  "Angels Baseball" and "Athletics/A's Baseball" merchandise.

The teams has filed to trademark “Sacramento Athletics” and “Sacramento A’s”

26 minutes ago, flasah said:

Filing for a trademark and actually using it are 2 different things. Most likely just getting ahead of the squatters Incase they do eventually end up using it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

I know that Utah now apparently has a law that Utah has to be the name and not Salt Lake. But it would be pretty cool to see the Salt Lake Bees have the Salt Lake A's across town.

Source? I see an article saying a group trying to get a team promises to use "Utah," but I don't see any law. Just curious. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

I know that Utah now apparently has a law that Utah has to be the name and not Salt Lake. 

If you know this, please provide some citation or reference of this fact for the rest of us on this board who doubt this is true.

• Like 1

It is what it is.

On 4/5/2024 at 11:55 PM, flasah said:

Probably more to protect that brand from trademark poachers.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

https://le.utah.gov/~2024/bills/static/HB0562.html

Line #1674 of the Utah law enabling state funding of an MLB park in Salt Lake City's Power District "require[s] the major league sports team [playing at said venue] to be given a name that includes [']Utah.[']"

Thanks for posting the reference; I now see how it is tied in to state MLB stadium funding. 

So if a major league team just built their own stadium on their own dime (unlikely, of course), they could call it whatever they want. 

• Like 1

It is what it is.

Hopefully the provision doesn't all for an "of Utah" thing.  Like the Salt Lake City Somethings of Utah.

I still stand by my bet that if SLC ever gets a permanent MLB team, I'll change my board name to the most self-degrading or ridiculous thing that the mods will allow.  After yesterday, "Bisexual_Undertaker" is the leader so far (though that'll be a tough sell to the mods.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/5/2024 at 9:34 AM, zubazpirate said:

I'm not that familiar with the Chase Center... was it actually built with hockey in mind, or is it a basketball-first venue like Barclays Center where hockey would require massive compromises?

I guess the same questions could be asked about the post renovation Oakland Arena, for that matter.

While it does have an ice plant in order to host events like Disney on Ice, the arena is similar to Barclays in that you'd have a ton of obstructed views. They've said that it isn't capable of being an NHL rink.

3 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

The Salt Lake Utahs 

spacer.png

• Like 1