MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

According to Front Office Sports:

For a union as powerful as the MLBPA, they have been very silent on the whole A's relocation.  

I know when the Jays played i Buffalo during the pandemic, the Bisons were temporarily relocated to Trenton, NJ.  Not sure if that was a pandemic protocol issue or a logistical issue at the venue, but we'll see soon enough.

29 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

I know when the Jays played i Buffalo during the pandemic, the Bisons were temporarily relocated to Trenton, NJ.  Not sure if that was a pandemic protocol issue or a logistical issue at the venue, but we'll see soon enough.

Probably logistical issues.  I heard somewhere that renovations to Bisons stadium had to be made before the MLBPA officially signed off on the Jays playing there.  There might be a reason that they have been silent on the whole A's situation as they apparently have their own issues to deal with.  However, they have recently lashed out against the Fanatics jerseys and worked with MLB to place Wander Franco on administrative leave, despite the internal strife in the MLBPA.  

The fact that there's been complete silence on this whole relocation by the MLBPA is interesting. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Cool, so now both California AL teams, both of which beginning with A, are going to be downplaying their location.

• Like 2

VmWIn6B.png

6 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

So, with the A's moving to Sacramento for two years... what does that do to the River Cats?

We were talking about that earlier in the thread.  Options to consider could be:

- Remain in Sacramento and share with the A's.

- Share a current MiLB stadium (Fresno?, Stockton?)

- Relocate temporariliy to an unused former MiLB stadium (Lancaster?)

- Far chance, but as Sacramento is a Giants affiliate, could Oracle Park in San Francisco be an option???

I'm sure more will come out in the coming months, but one of the above is the likely outcome.

From Evan Drellich and Ken Rosenthal's article in The Athletic:

The A’s announced Thursday that they are moving to a minor-league stadium in Sacramento for 2025-27, with an option to stay for an additional year. Sutter Health Park, the home of the Triple-A Sacramento River Cats, will become a major league stadium for at least three seasons. The A’s will be sharing the park, which has a capacity of 14,000, with the River Cats who will continue to play in the stadium when the A’s are away.

• Like 4
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

34 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

From Evan Drellich and Ken Rosenthal's article in The Athletic:

The A’s announced Thursday that they are moving to a minor-league stadium in Sacramento for 2025-27, with an option to stay for an additional year. Sutter Health Park, the home of the Triple-A Sacramento River Cats, will become a major league stadium for at least three seasons. The A’s will be sharing the park, which has a capacity of 14,000, with the River Cats who will continue to play in the stadium when the A’s are away.

Won't Triple-A have to re-do their schedules to make this work? I thought they had all shifted to the Tue-Sun schedule with Monday off as a travel day.

It's where I sit.

Good move on the A's part.  Becoming a lame duck Oakland team for four years just for TV money was a bad way to go.

They are now far from the cavernous coliseum and the boycotting fans.

(what I am about to say should not be taken as some sort of defense of fisher, et al)

Oakland government's propaganda about this whole situation has been funny to me and crazy how many people are swallowing what they're putting out.  They have been remarkably unserious about the whole thing.  An example of this is the deal they just offered to the A's, which included a stipulation that they would be given an expansion team... a thing that the Athletics or John Fisher have no power to give them.  Why was it in their deal then?  Because Oakland's current government needs to play 100% victim and look good to their constituents.

Anyway, now that this is really real, I'm pretty sad.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

4 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Won't Triple-A have to re-do their schedules to make this work? I thought they had all shifted to the Tue-Sun schedule with Monday off as a travel day.

They haven't made the 2025 MLB schedule yet.  I'm guessing they can work around that?  They can schedule A's games when the RiverCats aren't in town

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FrutigerAero said:

They haven't made the 2025 MLB schedule yet.  I'm guessing they can work around that?  They can schedule A's games when the RiverCats aren't in town

You've got that backwards. The Triple-A team will need to schedule around the MLB team. Since Triple-A doesn't play on Mondays, just (routinely) Tuesday to Sunday, it will require a re-formatting of the schedule.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

45 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

RIP Major League Sports in Oakland, California (1960-2024)

It's sad, but it is offset by the fact that the entire range of major league and college sports are just a short drive away.

As a NHL fan I find it annoying that the Sharks play in San Jose instead of the "real" Bay Area. If only they could move to the Oakland Arena. Sigh. That would give Oakland a major league presence once again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

RIP Major League Sports in Oakland, California (1960-2024)

From it's hey day in the 70's to losing all of it's teams in 6 years. What a ride for that tough little burgh in the East Bay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrutigerAero said:

(what I am about to say should not be taken as some sort of defense of fisher, et al)

Oakland government's propaganda about this whole situation has been funny to me and crazy how many people are swallowing what they're putting out.  They have been remarkably unserious about the whole thing.  An example of this is the deal they just offered to the A's, which included a stipulation that they would be given an expansion team... a thing that the Athletics or John Fisher have no power to give them.

While reports suggest that the main sticking point in negotiations with Oakland was the drastic increase in rent ($97 million for a maximum-five-year lease extension, later revised to $60 million for a three-year lease extension) that the A's would have needed to pay to stay at the Coliseum beyond this year, I suspect that the Oakland government ruined any chance of a deal also through its insistence that MLB (a) guarantee the city a window of opportunity for an expansion team, (b) require the A's to leave behind their nickname and colors, or (c) force a sale of the team to an ownership committed to keeping the franchise in Oakland.  Even if John Fisher were willing to accept Oakland's terms, the MLB commissioner's office could have pressed Fisher into backing off from an agreement with Oakland due to the demands that the city was making upon MLB as a whole.

• Like 1